Had my braces since April 12, New to Forum

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

abilane78

Had my braces since April 12, New to Forum

#1 Post by abilane78 »

Hi, my name is Abbie and I'm a 28 year old daycare teacher at the local YMCA. I had considered braces for years because I didn't like my smile and the crowding that was going on with my top and bottom front teeth. Everyone said my teeth were fine, but I felt differently. Then I went last year for a regular dental cleaning and my dentist pointed out how my overbite could possibly cause problems with my lower teeth since I'm also a nighttime grinder. He gave me a referral to an orthodontist and I thought about it for about 3 months before I finally called to schedule an appointment. I did all the pictures and everything, but I was very leery of getting put in braces when I heard the price and that our insurance wouldn't cover it!! The total cost was going to be 4995, which I don't just keep laying around here...

So I then waited a whole year later for tax time to come back around. I went back in and we did all the X-rays and the molds. I went back in and got the tops put on. I didn't have room for the brackets until we moved the top teeth up and away from them. So anyway... That was April 12th and I've had I think 3 or 4 adjustments since then. I'm not entirely sure what kind of braces I have, but I know I've just got an archwire that connects to the brackets with little doors that lock into place. Last thursday I finally had the bottom braces put on, but instead of being clear, they are all metal. They look huge to me!!! I'm kinda bummed that I don't get colors like a lot of people I know, but I'm glad that whatever system my ortho is using will move my teeth very fast.

Thanks for having me here. I'll try to show you all some pictures very soon.

Thanks a lot!!!

Abbie

abilane78

Here is a slideshow (if it works)

#2 Post by abilane78 »

My braces from beginning to my last adjustment.

I'll update it with pics of the bottoms soon, I hope. maybe.....

I can't get the slideshow to post (maybe someone can show me how?)

Here is a slideshow of my initial consultation photos. I had just had a cleaning, but as you can see, there was still a LOT of plaque built up. I hadn't been very good to my teeth and my last cleaning was about 5 years before this one. I'm not obsessed with my teeth!!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v125/ ... a18ee3.pbw

Here is a slideshow with the braces on. You can only do 9 shots at a time.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v125/ ... c247bb.pbw
Last edited by abilane78 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

abilane78

#3 Post by abilane78 »

Oh, and as soon as I have enough posts, here is the ticker I want in my sig..... Just so I don't have to go through and remake it...

abilane78

#4 Post by abilane78 »

Here is my top arch before braces...

Here's my top now!!! I just can't get over the amount of movement in almost 5 months!

This is really exciting stuff!! I had my first bizarre dream last night. I dreamed that my wire slid right out and I woke up with it laying next to me on the pillow and all my teeth not only moved around, but were even worse than before!!!

abilane78

#5 Post by abilane78 »

It is pretty cool!! I'm afraid that after all this major movement that's going on I won't really notice changes anymore and it might get discouraging. I just have to try to stay positive.

Has anyone else ever had bite turbos? I have two bite turbos on my bottom molars and it keeps me from closing my mouth all the way. They're pink and you might be able to see them on the pic of my bottom arch. It is making it harder to chew almost anything. Instead of a nice flat surface to grind up the food, I now have jagged fangs back there. A lot of food is going down whole, which I know is bad for me. I've even had a couple close calls with meats that didn't get chewed all the way. Not chewing is making it less enjoyable too. I have found things that I still love though, like scrambled eggs, pudding, jello, potatoe salad, and finely ground tuna salad and cole slaw. I asked my husband the other day if he loved me enough to chew my food for me. He said I love you very much, but you're not a bird. I feel like I'm eating like one sometimes though!!!

cwatt1

#6 Post by cwatt1 »

Welcome, Abi!

I agree with Karen -- it does appear that you have molar buildups, also known as occlusal bonding. I have them also (although mine are bright blue), and yes, they do take some getting used to, don't they! But it will happen, and it's a heck of a lot better than chipping an upper tooth on a lower bracket!

Click here to read about my progress.