new to board

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ekin

new to board

#1 Post by ekin »

Hi, I'm 39 years old. I'm in the middle of TMJ therapy, I wear an occlusal splint 24/7. Hopefully in November I will get my braces on. My ortho told me on my last visit that I will also have to wear a transpalatal arch wire. I'm very nervous about that, on top of being nervous about getting the braces on. I'm worried that it will be too much in one visit. It has taken me a very long time to get used to the occlusal splint, and it's very difficult to speak clearly with it on, which has been the hardest part for me. I've enjoyed reading the info on this board, it's helping.
I also have a 13 year old in braces.

Emily

ekin

#2 Post by ekin »

Thanks for the advice KK. I'm sure your right about the thinking about what it's going to be like is worse than what it really is.

ekin

#3 Post by ekin »

I had my ortho appointment today. He said the occlusal splint has done it's job and I am now ready to have braces on. Since he only flys into town every month I don't have an appointment until Nov 2. I am very nervous, I'm not sure why. I met a lady who was in her 50's this weekend and she had braces on, she assured me they were not as bad as I am anticipating. She also looked very nice with them on.

mary.

Welcome Ekin!

#4 Post by mary. »

Glad to hear that things are moving forward for you. No need to be nervous, I'm sure that everything will go just fine. I'm about the same age as you, and got my braces on a week ago. The whole process was much smoother than I had anticipated. The first week is an adjustment period, but I'm getting more comfortable with things each day, I'm sure you will too. I look forward to hearing more from you.

ekin

#5 Post by ekin »

Hi Mary
Nice meeting you. How did you feel at first with your braces on, were you nervous about talking in public?

I'll post some before and after pictures soon. My ortho gave me a Nov 2 appointment but it also might be October 14 if they have an opening.
Sometimes I'm excited, sometimes I'm quite anxious about it.

KathyC

#6 Post by KathyC »

Hi Ekin,

I'm feeling the exact same way you are right now. I'm 47 years old and I'm going to be getting started on this journey next week. I get my spacers put in on Oct. 9th. I'm so nervous already, I know this is going to be the worst part. I have to keep them in for two weeks (I'm not sure why so long). I have the appointment to get my braces put on October 23rd. Sometimes I'm really excited but most of the time I'm just plain nervous about the whole thing. I check in with site almost everyday and it seems to help reading other people's stories. Good luck with everything!

ekin

#7 Post by ekin »

Hi Kathy,

I actually had my first records done five years ago - that's how long it has taken me to make this commitment. This year I finally decided it's all or nothing, either I'm going to do this and not think about it any more, or I'm not going to this. So I took the plunge, however before I could get braces on I have to wear an occlusal splint, and I've now had that for approx. 3 months. It has been difficult to eat and speak with. Speaking in public has been especially hard. The splint covers the inside of my upper front teeth so it's difficult to formulate s and th. I find at first I got tense when I ate because I worried that it will fall out. I was also tense when I spoke in public because it sounds like I have a mouth full of peanut butter. I'm now becoming more relaxed with it, and I finding I don't care what other people think. I think braces will be easier than this splint.

Fortunately I don't get spacers. My dentist has a new system and doesn't use them. I think I would find that hard too. Like this splint I think you will get more used to them the longer they are in your mouth. But two weeks seems awful long, I understood they just needed to make enought room to fit the band over your tooth. Most people I know who have spacers only have them for a few days before braces are put on. Can you ask your ortho why you need them for that long?

You'll have your braces on before me, let me know how it goes.