Braced at 45 and condemned to surgery

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emilio

Braced at 45 and condemned to surgery

#1 Post by emilio »

I knew I needed braces for a long long long time but other things in life always took priority which compounded the problems over the years:

1. Front upper teeth had an overbite that became larger over the years
2. Front upper teeth had an enlarging split (3mm or so) that grew over the years and the two front teeth started tilting sideways and getting worn out like a triangle shape (slight)
3. On my lower jaw one molar was around 40% pushed to the inside, thus not aligned to the other molars
4. TMJ problems such as neck pains, pain in the jaw junctions, cracking noise
5. Front upper & lower teeth were getting severely worn out

For years I heard from some of my dentists that I should consider orthodontic treatment. In 2002 I went for a short trial consulation with an orthodontist.

In 2005 I officially became a patient, had all EXPENSIVE preliminary exams and after that I was told ORTHOGNATIC SURGERY or NOTHING. I chickened out and left it there.

In 2008 I went for a 2nd opinion abroad, had the same and more preliminary exams (much cheaper though) and the diagnostic was similar, first braces, then surgery, then continue with braces. This time I decided to go for it.

I already had some minor surgery after the braces were applied and have seen a LOT of improvement already. The fraenum surgery has largely corrected #2, the rest comes over time. The molar of #3 is now largely aligned, the rest will come later and the upper four teeth (#5) were reshaped with resin and look much nicer now.

I have lost 5 kilos since I got the braces though part of it may be attributed to a large amount of emotional stress I had a month prior to that (not related to braces). I am using ENSURE to attempt to gain some e weight because I am already underweight.

The surgery? well, It was scheduled for December of this year (2009) but now I will have 2 extractions in June so it delays the surgery some 6 months. And sure, the surgery SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! I have NEVER in my life had "major" surgery, in other words never been put to sleep.

I am blogging my progress and thoughts leading to surgery at
[url=http://my-adult-braces.blogspot.com[/url]

Pity I didn't take other pictures just before the restoration (#5).
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010

emilio

#2 Post by emilio »

I managed to rename the URL of my blog:

[url=http://adult-braces-orthognathic.blogspot.com]

It is about braces at 40+, tips, and the journey towards my Bilateral Sagital Osteotomy (Obwegeser Dal Pont orthognatic surgery).
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010