A journey that seems too long

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emilio

A journey that seems too long

#1 Post by emilio »

I did get my braces at 45 mainly out of necessity to spare me from dental suffering later on in life.

Today it has been 4 months and 2 days since I got the braces on, a long journey with some painful things such as replacing archwires, fraenum surgery and upcoming removal of two upper teeth :-(

When I read the board I see a lot of people with YEARS of bracing, m sister in law (also adult) has been braced for 3 years. I have lost weight, I do eat better but it seems like a long journey to me. I can't see (nor know) when this is going to end.

I was supposed to have my jaw surgery in 9 months (dec 2009) but due to the removal in june it is delayed some 6 months. All that waiting!!!! at the same time I am scared of that surgery.

I have tried nearly everything to gain weight in preparation for the surgery but no success. Anyway, I hope to see the day when these braces come off.
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010

changes09

#2 Post by changes09 »

Have you tried drinking shakes with whey protein? THat will halp you gain weight. Also, I know what you mean about the waiting. But like everyone says it's well worth the wait.....even if we can't see that far ;)

emilio

#3 Post by emilio »

Yes, I have tried both ENSURE and ENTEREX preparations that can be used as supplement as well as food replacement. I use it as supplement.

These are great products but just when I had finally gained 2 kilograms I injured my back and have lost them, back to 63 kg. :-(
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010

staceyr2

#4 Post by staceyr2 »

I wish I had the problem of loosing weight, not the same way you did this last time, though, ouch. I thought "oh great, I will have braces on and not be able to eat a whole bunch of stuff any more, I can loose some weight". Wrong! I have a terrible sweet tooth, it must be located right next to the one I had extracted too, because I just can't stay away from chocolates, ice cream, cakes, you name, if its sweet, I must have it and its getting worse every day! Surprisingly I have only gained a few pounds (don't know the kilo conversions), if you don't count the 20 lbs I lost on purpose and gained back. I have also figured out new ways to eat some of the things I am not supposed to. Sorry I'm not much help, I know.
I do know someone (also a "mature" adult) who had to have surgery as part of her treatment and had her jaw wired shut for a lot longer than I could imagine dealing with. She said it was quite unpleasant, but she is extremely happy with the results. I know it's cleche but, just grin and bear it, its worth it in the end!
And yes, I am one of those with YEARS in braces, and no end in sight. My estimated "braces off" date has come and gone, {sigh}, I don't really remember what it like not to have them anymore. Oh well, I guess that is a sacrifice for not considering surgery.
Good luck trying to gain weight and with your future extractions & surgery. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and you heal quickly! Bless you for having the guts to do it!
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both