Better late than never

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Airchie

Better late than never

#1 Post by Airchie »

Hi All!

Must post in more appropriate forum, must post in more appropriate forum :)

This is probably a better place to say hello than jumping in to the Metal Mouth Forum.

Anyway, just registered and wanted to say hello.

After years of mulling it over I decided to go for the orthodontic consult and I'm just signing the consent forms, which have been sitting for nearly a month now!

Final straw was seeing my 10yr old son copying my smile-hiding mannerisms (he has a great smile ). So, I've been through some prep-work with my regular dentist and am raring to get started.

Looks like it's going to be Clarity-SL on the top with the same on the lower fronts since I didn't like the look of the "Incognito" - :shock:

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

Welcome to the club. :)

Andromeda

#3 Post by Andromeda »

Glad to have you with us :) Keep us posted on your journey!

Airchie

#4 Post by Airchie »

Thanks!

I'm strangely excited about doing this after so many years. Shame it took me until I was 40 to do it! :D

Airchie

#5 Post by Airchie »

Thanks!

I'm strangely excited about doing this after so many years. Shame it took me until I was 40 to do it! :D

momilani

#6 Post by momilani »

Good for you -- I waited til late 50s

My dentist said "If you'd done it when I first told you to, you'd be done by now" Thanks. I hadn't done the math! :lol:

One big plus about doing it later in life...I think that pain is relative, and relative to some of the experiences I've already had, this isn't bad at all.
Happiness is a choice.

Airchie

#7 Post by Airchie »

I think you're correct there - it isn't too bad at the moment (4 days in) and it's very manageable with a little Ibuprofen.

Eating is still a bit of an experience but I'm sure that will improve over time.

staceyr2

#8 Post by staceyr2 »

I am not too sure if I agree about the pain being managable. I am 36 and have had these stinking things on for nearly 3 1/2 years. In the beginning it wasn't so bad, though. They would only hurt for a few days or so after an adjustment or wire change, and Ibuprofen helped. But now, I have nearly constant pain and sometimes it gets worse weeks after I have been to the ortho. I also have developed pain in my jaw joints. I am not really sure if this is solely the braces or partially because I do have sinus allergy issues, and it has only started in the last month or so. I have taken so much Ibuprofen that my stomach is very angry with me, and it only eases the pain slightly. But then again, this could all be because I haven't had a really thourough cleaning since the braces went on. My teeth are rebelling! I don't mean to bring anyone down, really the first couple years were very tolerable, I have just reached a point where I am tired of the braces, that's all. Good luck! Oh, one more piece of advice for the adults, smoking and coffee are very bad with braces, I have dark lines on my teeth from when I had wires twisted around my front brackets, and I think its the coffee that is the worst.
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

Airchie

#9 Post by Airchie »

I think it's probably different for many people.

I guess what we were getting at was that the pain level is relative to past experiences or even just being braced as a child.

I was braced briefly as an early teenager and I remember if being a pretty horrid and uncomfortable experience - like having toothache in every tooth in my head at once for weeks on end.

So far, 5 days in, I've pretty much stopped with the Ibuprofen since the pain level has been almost non-existent. Just tender in the morning.

dhighla33

Just Joined the Club Braces went on in Dec

#10 Post by dhighla33 »

This is harder than I thought it would be. I'm 58 and a trainer in a large corporation. Corporation not very understanding.....ha. The spacers were the worst and I still have some nerve pain throbbing after eating. 16 more months to go. All my teeth are moving and I'm noticing chips and all kinds of things I never saw before. So far the only positive thing is I have lost 14 pounds.

Airchie

#11 Post by Airchie »

Yeah, I seem to be missing a few pounds at the moment. The lack of snacking and the porridge/soup/yoghurt diet probably accounts for that :D

No bad thing, I won't miss them and hope they're soon joined by a few friends.

Work has been strange - I was a little nervous about reactions to the brace but nobody noticed!

momilani

#12 Post by momilani »

I'd sure LIKE to be losing more weight (only about 5 pounds so far), but the things I'm comfortable eating seem to be pretty calorie dense. <sigh>

Had my first adjustment today -- got new archwire and tighter chain. Little headachy, but a couple of glasses of white wine and a good nights sleep should take care of it.
Happiness is a choice.