Preparing For Braces - Second Time Around...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jjs34748

#16 Post by jjs34748 »

Congrats, sounds like you get the metal, or whatever you chose very soon. The anticipation sucks dosen't it? the thought of being excited to put yourself through the dicomfort of braces. We humans sure are strange huh.

mikesmile

#17 Post by mikesmile »

Yea, we human's certainly are...strange! What a paradox you bring up! Excited to begin this form of self-imposed torture, I can't wait for my consult tomorrow morning to find out what the ortho has planned for me :roll:

The anticipation does suck though... these weeks of waiting have been building up it up. I'll feel a sense of relief when I can find out the details of my treatment. How long will I have to wear braces? What will it cost? What kind of brackets? How will elastics be incorporated & at what point in my treatment?

The other thing that's weird :shock: is that even though I wore braces for 2-1/2 years in my 20's (& became quite used to them), I'm nervous as hell. Why is that?? I wonder if other second timers get a little jittery like this...

mikesmile

#18 Post by mikesmile »

:) Well, it went very well at my consult today!! Everything went really smooth & I definitely feel a sense of relief now. All my questions were answered: I'm going to be braced on January 22. My ortho estimates that my active treatment will take about 1 year. Not bad - I really expected him to say two years. The top teeth will be braced first - then the bottom in a couple of months. Like most adult ortho patients, I was given the choice of ceramic or metal brackets. I chose the metal ones. The doc did confirm that I'll be wearing elastics once the bottom braces are on. The cost for everything will run $4800. including x-rays, molds & retainers.

Yipee!!! :jump: The preparation is done - I'm actually ready to start my second braces adventure. At this point I plan to continue my posts in "our Braces Stories"

petitcanard

#19 Post by petitcanard »

Whoohoo! A big congrats, not much longer to wait now!! And year, wow, that's fantastic, I'm jealous already!! :D

My story lives here

brendap27

#20 Post by brendap27 »

mikesmile wrote::) I'm going to be braced on January 22.
Good luck tomorrow!!

mikesmile

#21 Post by mikesmile »

THANKS SO MUCH, Brenda :thumbsup: I'm really starting to have butterflies now...so much for being an old pro at this :oops: There's a strange excitement that appears when you realize you're near the point of no return... :tingrin:...but it will all be worth it !!!

brendap27

#22 Post by brendap27 »

I was fortunate when I was approaching my brace day. It was right after Christmas and my sister and family were visiting. There was so much going on that I didn't have any time to dwell on it. It was easier than I expected it to be.

jjs34748

#23 Post by jjs34748 »

Hey Mike, good luck tomorrow, The big day Version 2.0 is here. :jump:

mikesmile

#24 Post by mikesmile »

Thanks jjs :D

Despite the minor adrenaline rushes, I'm soooo ready, now 8) !!!

BracketRacket

#25 Post by BracketRacket »

Good luck! :D

mikesmile

#26 Post by mikesmile »

Well Guys.....IT'S DONE !!!!!! :banana: :-88 :jump: I'M OFFICIALLY BRACED !!!!! :pinkbraces: It went really, really well this morning and I'm happy with the way they look and feel. I'm so psyched !!! My braces have only been on about 6 hours, but I swear I can already see and feel them working. Thanks for all your support, guys.

So I don't have to tell my brace day story twice - If anyone's interesting in reading my full story it will be on "Our Braces Stories" under "mikesmile's Orthodontic Journey"

yo

#27 Post by yo »

Hi I'm a newbie here!

I had braces in my twenties, and now I'm GASP 50 and getting them again.

How did each of you determine if ceramic or metal was the right choice for you? My ortho is trying to get me to do metal but I really like the idea of the ceramics.

thanks!

mikesmile

#28 Post by mikesmile »

Hi yo :)

Welcome to AW. You'll find lots of support here. I know I have, and it definitely helped with my decision in getting braces again. Your story sounds a little like mine...So, what finds you pursuing ortho treatment again at 50? Did your earlier bite issues relapse?

For me, wearing braces again is really not bad so far. I've gotten used to them rather quickly so far. I'm sure you will to. I know a lot of adult ortho patients go with ceramic brackets because they're supposed to be a little less noticeable. I've heard they're slightly larger than the metal ones, but I think it depends on the brand or style. I chose metal because they are a little stronger, a little less expensive (that depends on the doctor) and I prefer the look of them. I'm not particularly trying to hide them... :wink:

Good luck with getting your treatment started, and with your decision about what kind of brackets to get.

yo

#29 Post by yo »

I went to my dentist today to have some bonding removed from my teeth prior to uppers being installed on Monday.

The HORROR! :oops: I can't believe how much space there is between my teeth, it looks like I've never had braces. I almost cried.

I stopped by the ortho to get two spacers put back in and its a good thing I did. I told him I wanted ceramic brackets and he didn't have any! He said he will have them by my appt on Monday at 8:00 AM. I think I would have been pretty upset if I HAD to get the metal brackets when I really didn't want them.