Braces at 25....

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sda0

Braces at 25....

#1 Post by sda0 »

Tomorrow morning at 10am I'm getting clear ceramics installed on my upper teeth. In 6 months, the lowers go on...I'm looking at a total of 2 years of treatment. I'm 25; i was told at about 16 that I needed braces but my family wasn't in a good financial spot.

After my first dental checkup in 7 years(!), my dentist referred me to a great orthodontist who has taken xrays, impressions, and pictures, and devised a treatment plan. Tomorrow is the day.

Any words of wisdom or helpful suggestions for an adult about to do the clear ceramics? I'm mentally prepared for a degree of pain and discomfort for at least the first few days.

Also: Anyone have experience having surgery to remove a canine tooth that never erupted, and instead went sideways and is still under the gum? I'm told I'll need surgery + bone grafting for that, which scares me way more than the braces :shock:

yo

#2 Post by yo »

Getting the braces on was pretty easy and didn't take as long as I thought it would. I got the clear brackets on the front as well, I think when my spaces go away you won't really be able to tell I have them on!

Make sure you have some soft food choices at home for a few days. And don't get discouraged if it hurts more than you thought. It really does get better.

Bracy

#3 Post by Bracy »

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow! I am 4 years older than you and just got started with my braces two days ago. By the time you are my age you'll already be done and have a great smile. :D

I wish you all the best for the beginning tomorrow, I can't really give a lot of advice yet as i am only on my day 2, but i am looking forward to hearing about your experience.

All the best

Bracy

02/01/2010 Braced Top and Bottom
03/09/2010 Extraction #12, #16
03/26/2010 Secondary Molar Bands and new wire
09/13/2010 Power Chain Top and Elastics (3) to fix cross-bite and open bite
10/25/2010 Power Chain removed and new Elastic constellation (2) to fix over-bite

wycket

#4 Post by wycket »

Welcome, and good luck to all of you! I'm sure you'll find lots of information and encouragement here on the board -- it IS nice to know there are so many fellow adult brace-wearers! I'm 31, and this is my first time wearing braces. I've been braced for nearly a month, and can tell you that things do improve. Everyone's experience is different, and it's hard not to get frustrated sometimes, but remembering it'll be so worth it in the end can help! FWIW, I have Clarity SL (ceramics) on my uppers, Damon Q on my bottoms, and am very happy with them! Having them put on was far easier than I thought it would be --- I'd worked myself up for no reason! Again, best of luck - I look forward to hearing about your progress!

sda0

#5 Post by sda0 »

Day 1 Update: No pain yet. I'll re-read this tomorrow when I'm in excruciating pain :D

Getting the braces on was no problem at all. No discomfort except for that mouth spreader/tongue holder thing being in for so long. I was told to eat something solid in the next few hours as it would be my last solid meal for a few days.

So far so good. Advil is ready to rock, but other than the feeling that i have something in my teeth, we're all good.

sda0

#6 Post by sda0 »

Day 2:

Well, it starts. I dont have any pain unless i close my teeth together, then it feels kind of like it does when you have a cavity...a deep, dull pain, but in this case its on both sides of my mouth.

So far it has not been unbearable; i took two regular strength advil when I woke up and feel ok. The worst of it is the feeling of something being attached to my teeth. At least the ceramic brackets aren't as sharp as the metal ones (so ive heard)

yo

#7 Post by yo »

I get my lower metal braces installed on Monday. What I really don't like is the 'cleats' that are on the inside of the bands on my molars. It feels really sharp on my tongue.

I'm with you, I think the clear brackets are not as sharp as the metal ones.

I also hated the mouth spreader thing, I was so happy when they took that out!

sda0

#8 Post by sda0 »

yo wrote:I get my lower metal braces installed on Monday. What I really don't like is the 'cleats' that are on the inside of the bands on my molars. It feels really sharp on my tongue.

I'm with you, I think the clear brackets are not as sharp as the metal ones.

I also hated the mouth spreader thing, I was so happy when they took that out!
Luckily I didn't need the mouth spreader, though the kid next to me was having one installed. It didn't seem too pleasant. The cleats havent bothered me yet, but I am noticing some tenderness on the inside of my cheeks where they are rubbing.

sda0

#9 Post by sda0 »

Day 3 Update:

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

Kinda Nervous

Funny Kids can do it

#10 Post by Kinda Nervous »

When I got my braces on there was this kid getting his the same time
and nothing bother him , he was having a good time getting his school
colors and I was in the chair next time almost in tears, thinking OH MY GOD, what am I doing and How will I get thu the next 2 years. I ask him if when he got done could I go to his house a play trucks..... He was laughing all while he got his on, and could wait to go Mac. D"S for a Big Mac..... I thought I will never eat again. Kids are so much better at this then adults. :roll:

Snowglobe32

#11 Post by Snowglobe32 »

At first, there is a weird feeling of something being attached to your teeth especially when you couldn't get it off. But now, my braces just feel like a tight hug against my teeth. When people ask me what they feel like, I say they feel like someone is giving my teeth a hug.