Bracket fell off while eating

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

babybush101

Bracket fell off while eating

#1 Post by babybush101 »

One of my non connecting brackets on the second molar of my lower jaw fell off while eating. Is this a cause for concern should i schedule an appointment with my orthodontist or just wait till my next appointment (which is in two weeks) to get it fixed since it wasn't connected to any archwire in the first place?

Also I have two molars on the top jaw and two on the lower (including the bracket that fell off) that has a bracket on it but not connected to an archwire can someone tell me why? I'll give my orthodontist a call but just want your opinion?

Steph in Sac

#2 Post by Steph in Sac »

I think you are fine waiting the two weeks since it wasn't attached to the wire anyway. You can always call them to see what they prefer, but I bet that'd be alright.

Perhaps the teeth attached to the wire have to move before they can hook them to the molars...?

Bekah

#3 Post by Bekah »

I would call but when I lost a bracket, they told me to just keep it and come in at my next appointment.

I don't think it would be a big deal.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

starzz

#4 Post by starzz »

You should call because you may need a longer appt to get it fixed. However this happened to me and but they didn't replace it until they went to a stronger wire. They often don't connect the last molars initially because the thinnest wire is too easily pulled out of the last brackets when you chew.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Boohill

#5 Post by Boohill »

I just broke a bracket the other day. It was the bracket on my last molar that has brackets (the very last molars don’t have brackets). I was going to wait until my appointment but decide to call because I was afraid that the wire was going to start poking my cheek. She changed my appointment for me to come in but it was only bumped up 5 days. It was time for my adjustment anyway. I go once a month. I think you will be fine but just give your ortho a buzz anyway. I can’t hurt.

dentalistaUK

#6 Post by dentalistaUK »

Hi there

I've just had the very same problem - one of my brackets is fixed to my porcelain crown, and two weeks after my first adjustment, this one pinged off as I was eating. I did get it fixed, though, as it was on the wire and was sliding around.

The ortho didn't charge me for this - so I would suggest getting it sorted out, even if you're not due for an appointment yet.

dentalistaUK

#7 Post by dentalistaUK »

Hi there

I've just had the very same problem - one of my brackets is fixed to my porcelain crown, and two weeks after my first adjustment, this one pinged off as I was eating. I did get it fixed, though, as it was on the wire and was sliding around.

The ortho didn't charge me for this - so I would suggest getting it sorted out, even if you're not due for an appointment yet.