I am a newbie..braces at 51!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rcknrllmom

I am a newbie..braces at 51!

#1 Post by rcknrllmom »

Hi all
New to this site. I got my braces at 51 last year on July 31st. Have always hated getting my picture taken, especially if they made me smile. So I decided to have braces put on. Many many times, I think I have lost my mind, wondering if its all worth it. I can tell they have helped a lot. I already look forward to having them off.

Today he put in an expander. I hate it a lot. It is quite painful. I am trying to figure out how to even swallow. I can live with talking funny but not so sure I can get used to the pain or having a tough time swallowing.

I am going to look around and see if there is anything here about that and if anyone has any advice it would be great!!

Glad to know there are more of me out there!

yo

#2 Post by yo »

Welcome to the club! I am in the 50 and over crowd as well.

I don't have any personal experience with an expander, except my son who had one prior to getting braces. He was pretty adaptable at that young age, not so sure I would be at this point in my life.

rcknrllmom

#3 Post by rcknrllmom »

Thanks yeah I called them today to tell them how horrible it is, and they mentioned kids being able to do it. Well I can't. Still can't swallow with this thing and it is causing quite a bit of pain. I may have them remove it. I really wish I had more info or warning even before he put it on.

rcknrllmom

#4 Post by rcknrllmom »

Thanks. I just don't know though, I woke up with a headache, thirsty and hungry. Can't even take a drink of coffee. Everything in my mouth hurts. I just wanted straighter teeth, not perfect teeth at my age.....I don't know how I would give it time....and I am being serious.....How do you eat or drink with this? I just cannot swallow.

rcknrllmom

#5 Post by rcknrllmom »

I would love to take something for the headache...afraid it will get stuck...lol...

AmyJS

#6 Post by AmyJS »

Nice to see another person or two my age, here.

I sometimes think I am nuts to have done this, too, this 'late'. But 2 years seems to fly by, and pretty soon, it will all be over and we'll have straight teeth. Which, as we age, is a really important part of our looks, in my opinion. Wrinkles, etc. are going to come no matter what (are already here), but a beautiful smile -- that's going to be the main focus of our faces.

Wish I could help you with your discomfort-- I'm afraid I don't have that particular issue as of yet. Just had them in 3 days ago... dealing with that initial dull pain and weirdness now.

Amy