Will coffee / tea stain my clear braces?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AmyJS

Will coffee / tea stain my clear braces?

#1 Post by AmyJS »

I have clear braces. I understand that curry will stain (and so will tumeric), but what about all the coffee and tea I drink?

And I am already drinking MORE coffee and tea because of all the stuff I can't eat / drink.

I'll ask my ortho next time I see him, but wondering if any of you have experience with this.

I realize it's also the elastics, or whatever they are called, that stain, and they get changed every 4-5 weeks, but in general, should I cut back or eliminate?

Amy (only 3 days in braces, and quite addicted to caffeine)

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

It's not the braces that get stained, but the elastic ligatures that surround them, which are changed at each appointment. Curry, red wine, and black coffee are the worst offenders.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

yo

#3 Post by yo »

I've taken advice from another post to help keep the ligs cleaner. I use part water and part hydrogen peroxide to rinse the ligs. I find it works better if I put the mixture in my water pik and concentrate on the ligs.

browneyedgrl

#4 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Amy,

I'm a coffee drinker and when I had my braces placed, I asked the assistant if I could get wire ties on my ceramics and my ortho was fine with it. Once I had powerchains, it was a different story... I was going inbetween adjustments to have them changed.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]