Hi, I'm new

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DrBlur

Hi, I'm new

#1 Post by DrBlur »

Hello all, I'm a 30 yr old male who is getting braces. In fact, I'm getting the spacers put in on Friday and the braces 2 weeks after. After the braces I'm having a minor oral surgical procedure done (shaving some bone, I think) and then an expander put in! I'm nervous but excited to get this started and to take care of the issues I have with my teeth/jaw! I'm glad to have found a community of other adults who are going through this, as I've felt kind of "weird" to be a grown man getting braces!

DrBlur

#2 Post by DrBlur »

I posted this in another thread but I'm getting kind of nervous/self-conscious about what I'll look like with braces and what my friends/co-workers will think/say. My wife has assured me she won't mind a bit (I know she wouldn't anyway) but I feel like I'm 13 or something instead of 30...I've never had braces before so it's all new to me.

The annoying thing is everyone asks me why I need them because my problems are more subtle (open bite, edge-to-edge bite) and can't be noticed by the casual observer (my teeth are all straight and look fine...I'll post some pics when I can)...anyone else have this problem as well?

Sorry to ramble, this is all new for me!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

suzyscientist

#3 Post by suzyscientist »

Hey again

I have exactly the same issue - my teeth are pretty straight and I've never even had a cavity, so I'm really lucky. The reason for my braces is only to realign my bite with surgery, so most of my friends and colleagues don't understand why I'm doing it.

It's pretty hard not having people who get why I'm putting myself through 2 years of looking 13 years old! That's why I'm so glad I found this site - there are so many people who have been through the same things before and it's a huge relief for me.

I'm trying to convince myself that most people won't be bothered. I'm prepared for some stick from the jokers in my office, but hoping that it won't last too long!

S

DrBlur

#4 Post by DrBlur »

Same here, I'm preparing for some jokes from my work colleagues, but I know my wife is cool with it and my family will be, too.

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Steph in Sac

#5 Post by Steph in Sac »

Are you getting full metal upper and lower? I was pretty self-concious about this whole thing and opted for clear brackets (lower only--not bracing upper). There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I'm just curious as to what you chose.

DrBlur

#6 Post by DrBlur »

Steph in Sac wrote:Are you getting full metal upper and lower? I was pretty self-concious about this whole thing and opted for clear brackets (lower only--not bracing upper). There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I'm just curious as to what you chose.
I am getting full metal upper and lower...basically because of the cost, metal is cheaper than clear. I don't mind too much, and I know most people won't care, I'm just usually a bit insecure/self-conscious about my appearance anyway (much to my wife's annoyance, justifiably so!) so it'll take some time for me to adjust is all

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Steph in Sac

#7 Post by Steph in Sac »

That makes sense. I've learned that clear isn't so clear once the ligs stain (constantly) anyway. Well, best of luck to you getting settled with them!! Smile!! Life is short. :wink:

DrBlur

#8 Post by DrBlur »

^Will do! My kids are actually really excited to see the whole process (they are 5 and 3)...the only thing is I can't let on that any of it hurts so they won't be scared if they need them down the road :lol:

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Steph in Sac

#9 Post by Steph in Sac »

My daughter is 7 and thinks their cool. It is nice I'll be able to relate to her, should she end up in them. My son is 2 and honestly, I don't think he's even noticed them. Not once has he asked about them and he's quite a communicator.

DrBlur

#10 Post by DrBlur »

Yeah my son is only 5 months old so obviously he doesn't know what's going on :lol: :lol:

I think honestly the thing I'm worried about is the pain...I have sensitive teeth, sensitive to cold but also just pressure, and my open bite (one of the things being treated by the braces) has caused a few teeth (the only ones that touch when I bite down) to be constantly sore and achy, and those are my only teeth with fillings, so I'm worrying how they're all going to feel...

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Steph in Sac

#11 Post by Steph in Sac »

I just read all of your dates and procedures. Personally, I'd be more worried about the surgery! I can't relate to your sensitivity issues, but I do know it will hurt initially and after an adjustment, but only temporarily. In fact, it isn't so much of a pain as it is a feeling of weak teeth.

DrBlur

#12 Post by DrBlur »

The surgery, from what my ortho told me, involves the surgeon cutting into my gums and shaving off the outer bone (which is rigid)...then I'll get an expander and since the inner bone (which is flexible) is exposed, the expander will work. My consult for the surgery is on the 29th of March, a few days before I get the braces...

I'm worried about it all, but yeah the surgery the most, of course!

Has anyone here had this type of procedure done? The ortho told me it's the type of thing that can be done in the oral surgeons office under general anaesthesia, (similar to having wisdom teeth coming out, he said...and I've had that done).

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

gokix

#13 Post by gokix »

Hey! I just noticed that you'll be getting spacers in a few days. Good luck with that, and the oral surgery down the road. :)

DrBlur

#14 Post by DrBlur »

gokix wrote:Hey! I just noticed that you'll be getting spacers in a few days. Good luck with that, and the oral surgery down the road. :)
Yep, spacers in 2 days, first thing Friday morning! I'm excited to get going, although dreading the pain...*BUT* I already have a constant dull ache/throb in my teeth/jaw anyway (which is why I'm getting the braces and surgery) so maybe it won't be so bad :lol:

The surgery is the one thing worrying me, but if it's as benign as my ortho said it should be, then it'll be OK

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12