What do you miss eating?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedInNOLA

What do you miss eating?

#1 Post by BracedInNOLA »

I'm almost 47 and will be getting braces in the middle of January. Expected treatment time is 3 years.
I already know I'm going to have ribs and hopefully corn on the cob the day before I get my braces (it IS the middle of winter) - but what other foods do you really miss eating with your braces on?

The biggest shock when they were talking about foods I wouldn't be able to eat was raw veggies, and crusty french bread Poor Boys. Most 'sticky stuff' I'm not super attached to (though I did get a package of those Christmas mint-taffy/nougat candies just for me, for this year), so I'm not COMPLETELY dreading the 'I can't eat that' phase (provided I can eat semi-normally with mouth pain).

So any suggestions on what I should try to fit into my menu between now and brace day?

JennyLaughs

Re: What do you miss eating?

#2 Post by JennyLaughs »

I miss popcorn, but I wasn't a huge popcorn snacker to begin with, so I don't really feel like I'm deprived. I miss Twizzlers a lot, and eating apples normally. I still eat crusty bread, I just break it into smaller pieces so it will bypass my front teeth and go straight to the molars. I've even taken a walk on the wild side and had corn straight off the cob over the summer and (knock on wood) didn't have any issues. I still eat ribs too, I just use a fork to shred it off the bone. There's nothing I really can't eat that I miss too much.

frankiecgsw

#3 Post by frankiecgsw »

almonds!!!! i went crazy on almonds till my bracket came out hahaha. most food you can just cut up and eat though so it should be fine. anyways goodluck buddy!!

Deens Dents

#4 Post by Deens Dents »

I second Frankie and the almonds! Le sigh. I was distraught when I saw the Almond M&M's in the store yesterday. Other than that, skittles. I don't eat much candy, but knowing that I don't have the option, makes me want them that much more. :P On a plus side, if you like popcorn, I found that Popcorn Twists are amazing! They melt in your mouth, and almost as good as the real thing!

Gabrielito

#5 Post by Gabrielito »

i do miss everything :( from burgers, tacos, barbeques, salads etc...

i eat primarly jello, oatmeal, soft( softed ) bread, etc...

just a week with braces on, got some posts or stoppers, cant eat ( chew ) almost nothing

having fun so far hahaha

BracedInNOLA

#6 Post by BracedInNOLA »

Thanks, everyone! I had thought almonds might be an issue. They're such a great energy source, too. :cry:

And eating ribs with a fork just isn't the same!

JennyLaughs

#7 Post by JennyLaughs »

No, eating ribs with a fork isn't the same... but as long as it TASTES the same, I don't really care how it gets into my mouth :lol: As for almonds, I was afraid of them for a while but they're a staple on low-carb diets (which I use on and off) so I had to get used to them. I just stick them way in the back and crush them slowly with my molars. Once they're in smaller pieces I go to town. My favorites are the Emerald Cocoa Almonds, yum! I have found natural almonds easier to eat tho. Almost every other kind of nut is even easier. It just really depends on how you eat certain foods and to really be concious of what your mouth is doing while eating I think.

klobird

#8 Post by klobird »

I have gotten much more brave as time has gone by...The only things I haven't eaten yet with braces on are popcorn, and my favorite--Twix candy bars (because of the caramel). My ortho charges $50 every time you break a piece of your braces by your own fault. I can't afford it!

What I really miss is just grabbing a cookie or other treat at work (or it's back to the bathroom to brush and clean up...), and just biting down on food with my front teeth (It's uncomfortable when I do). I also miss just eating something without having to think about it first. I miss not having to be careful about how I eat...I miss gnawing on food...

Other than popcorn and Twix, though, I eat EVERYTHING I want (including chopped up nuts,hard cheetos (yum),chips,pizza etc).

Leftie

#9 Post by Leftie »

I have to say I still eat almost everything, as long as I can cut it up!
As others have said I miss being able to take a bite out of something, as it is really just too uncomfortable even with really soft food.

I put on another post that I am looking forward to having fajita wraps when my braces come off! (Oh and I won't miss getting funny looks in public when I have to break up biscuits etc before being able to eat them!)

:tingrin:

JennyLaughs

#10 Post by JennyLaughs »

I've eaten Twix without any issues. Snickers too (the fun size Snickers are easiest as I don't have to cut them with a knife first). If you're really worried about the carmel, put them in your pocket for a while and eat them when they're warm and gooier. I can understand not eating caramels (like the Kraft brand I use to make carmel apples) or those Riesen candies (stopped eating those anyway after loosing a filling) or Milk Duds (same). But candy bar carmel is usually much softer than regular carmel candy. For the record tho, I prefer peanut butter Twix... yummy!!!!!!!!

klobird

#11 Post by klobird »

Alrighty then--Twix bars here I come!! Merry Christmas to me!! :-*

Oh ya, and a very Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

crooked rory

#12 Post by crooked rory »

I ate two packages of Twix yesterday, and they did not give me any problem. The graham cookie inside is neither hard or sharp, and the carmel is not too sticky. Yummy yummy in my tummy :dance:

As for snickers, do not microwave them. Even for 5 seconds, the whole thing liquified and toom a while to solidify enough to eat. Body heat in your pocket works best.

I miss dorito's the most. They shred inside of my mouth and I have been unable to eat them because of my bite since 4 months before braces.

JennyLaughs

#13 Post by JennyLaughs »

Oh yeah! Doritos! I totally forgot all about those. I haven't tried eating those yet. I should give 'em a try... they don't have any shucks like popcorn that can get lodged somewhere. As long as I break them up first, shouldn't be an issue, right? And yeah, body heat for candy bars is the best way to go :D

Bec There

#14 Post by Bec There »

Is it weird that I'm looking forward to not being able to eat certain foods?

If I'm not allowed too, HOPEFULLY I can shift those extra kilos! Im also giving up softdrinks when I get mine on, need a reason to!

JennyLaughs

#15 Post by JennyLaughs »

It's not weird, just hopeful :D