Getting braces at end of month...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EricRoyalOak

Getting braces at end of month...

#1 Post by EricRoyalOak »

Hi everyone,
I'm getting my braces February 27 and I couldn't be more excited. I alway though about getting braces - but like so many others - it never made it high enough on the priority list. My teeth aren't terrible, they are straight either. I don't think that my slightly crooked teeth are something that people notice or something that takes away from my looks or smile. However, recently, I started to notice in pictures that my smile and teeth looked uneven. I pulled out some old pictures to compare. I think my teeth have shifted - or I never notice my smile or teeth in pictures.

Anyways...a co-worker of mine recently had braces put on. He had them for a few weeks before I noticed. I asked him about them and he gave me some good information that I never realized before: clear braces can look good, our company insurance will at least cover an initial consultation, our insurance would cover the pre-braces work like fixing cavities, etc. and that having crowns (6 of them) wouldn't prevent one from getting braces. I assumed that if you had crowns, you wouldn't be able to wear braces or they would have to be removed. I made an appointment and was convinced that the process would be much easier than I had ever though. I made the decision later that day, and scheduled the follow-up appointments.

I'm getting clear front braces and metal back braces on the tops and bottoms. I'm looking forward to getting them, and looking forward to getting them off and having perfect smile.

I'll post pictures when I get them on.

kellyb

Re: Getting braces at end of month...

#2 Post by kellyb »

Welcome to the club :-)
how long will you need to wear them for? i am currently wearing clear braces on my bottom teeth (uppers to be fitted next month). so far i am really pleased with them.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Bec There

#3 Post by Bec There »

Welcome :) We'll be getting braces about the same time, my brace date is the 6th of March, can't friggen wait! I have opted for all metal though. It's certainly exciting starting the braces journey! I look forward to reading your progress :)

EricRoyalOak

#4 Post by EricRoyalOak »

Awesome...all this is kinda excited. I missed all the fun as a teenager. Now I get to have my fun/awkward braces phase later in life.

I'm rethinking the clear braces. I understand that metal ones can be really small, and since I'll have metal from the bicuspids back and a wire, I'm wondering if clear front will really make a difference. I can save time and money going to metal....
I have two weeks to decide.....

Bec There

#5 Post by Bec There »

2 weeks is not long!

I personally don't like the look of the clear ones. People say you can't see them, but I think they stand out more, because they're bigger and they usually have yellowish stained ligs!! I personally think that people are going to see them anyways so I may as well be able to have fun with the colours etc. :)

They also say that the metal work faster, (and cheaper) so that was enough incentive for me!

I wish it was banding day today, just to get it over with!

EricRoyalOak

#6 Post by EricRoyalOak »

I decided to get the metal ones. I read up on the difference, and it sounds like the metal will be better. Hey, if I'm going to wear braces I might as well go with the classic!

The biggest reason for metal: I was talking to my coworker about deciding whcih type of bracket to get, and he told me that he may have his changed from the clear brackets to a tiny metal bracket. Good thing I have a coworker that can be my tester for me. :-)

Bec There

#7 Post by Bec There »

at least with the metal brackets you wont have to worry so much about those clear bands and powerchains staining whenever you eat something! :) Good choice!

kellyb

#8 Post by kellyb »

Bec There wrote:2 weeks is not long!

I personally don't like the look of the clear ones. People say you can't see them, but I think they stand out more, because they're bigger and they usually have yellowish stained ligs!! I personally think that people are going to see them anyways so I may as well be able to have fun with the colours etc. :)

They also say that the metal work faster, (and cheaper) so that was enough incentive for me!

I wish it was banding day today, just to get it over with!
i am currently wearing "radiance" clear braces and accordingly to my ortho, they are the same size as metal brackets.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

elseegee64

#9 Post by elseegee64 »

I'll be right there with you! My appointment is February 29th. I haven't thought about nor discussed clear/metal options with my ortho.

keramik22

#10 Post by keramik22 »

Hey there,
Im getting clear ceramics on next month. I have had my appointment to make impressions etc, then on the 7th of march my ortho will discuss my actual treatment, and she said I could have my braces on within a week of that appointment.
I have been quoted 3500 euros so far. I want to get a white coloured wire as well, does anyone have that and can you tell me if it would cost extra?
Ps on the teeth models I was shown clear and metal brackets were the same size, I dont know about treatment time though, but mine is supposedly 9 months in ceramics. I am getting only uppers for front crowding and a narrow bite.

jem

#11 Post by jem »

Hi Keramik22,

I also have a brace just on my upper teeth with clear brackets. My first 2 wires have been white. Whilst the wire colour is somewhat lighter than the natural colour of my teeth, it is less of a contrast than a normal metal wire and therefore less visible. I have not been charged extra for the white wire.You do need to appreciate that the white colour is just a coating on a conventional metal wire and does tend to rub off. After 4 1/2 weeks I had lost most of the white coating on my first wire except where it went under the doors in my Damon brackets. I have 7 weeks from the change to my second wire until my next adjustment and am trying to be careful to preserve the white coating for as long as I can.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

keramik22

#12 Post by keramik22 »

Hi Jem,
Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that the colour might come off.....
Well I still think chipped white looks better than metal anyway :-)
My ortho said they have white wires I guess its just a matt of what wire is better at the time.