In braces at age 35

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Robertsj

In braces at age 35

#1 Post by Robertsj »

Hello,
I have actually had my braces since last April. My next adjustment is next Thursday. I yhink I am going to get elastics. Im kind of nervous about them, because Im surr they will impede my speech and people are going to notice them. I have metal brackets, currently with black orings on the bottom and a black powerchain across all of my top teeth. I have found that I can hide my braces pretty well when talking to people that song need to know, but with the elastics, that is going out the window. Anyone else in the same boat? :tingrin:

lau

Re: In braces at age 35

#2 Post by lau »

i've had elastics since day 1 and at first it was intimidating, i have all metal, but now, i smile big all the time. after almost 4 months, i dont mind it so much. i think is worse to hide, as people think we're self conscious. some people stare, some dont look, but I'm sure not embarrassed anymore
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

BetsyBug

#3 Post by BetsyBug »

I'm trying to have the same attitude Lau, I don't really care if anyone notices my braces...I plan on trying to enjoy them as much as I can.

I am also worried about not being able to talk I wonder if they are going to put elastics on my molars, the ortho is going to brace my top and bottom and put in bite turbos on my front teeth to keep my molars from touching in hopes they will grow closer together and open my bite. I have read they often use elastics to encourage the molars to grow. I talk for a living so I'm worried about a lisp with the turbos and if I have elastics as well just wondering where my tongue is gonna go...LOL
:)
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

lau

#4 Post by lau »

Elizabeth, having said that, I must admit I take my elastics when i travel for meetings at my corp office :oops: it is only about every 2 months but still, wish I wouldnt. Taking them off does set me back :ThumbsDown: the metal braces I dont mind anymore
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

BetsyBug

#5 Post by BetsyBug »

I have already talked to everyone at work an they are all good with it, in fact the Vice President above me has invisalign so she kinda understands (but she never has them in her mouth....lol) oh well, if I get a lisp i get a lisp....hopefully it goes away soon. Live is too short to worry about a speech impediment...LOL
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

Robertsj

#6 Post by Robertsj »

I got my elastics this week. They arent really noticable at all. I ended up with class 2 on my right side and class 3 on my right. So, they are asymetrical like the irtho said. They hurt a lot! I am getting used to them 3 days in though. Unless I keep my jaw stiff, they pull my jaw to the left, which is weird.

LEtranger

#7 Post by LEtranger »

31 years old. Got my upper brackets today, getting lower and wire next week. Getting a bit worried about speech problems but I guess I'll just need to live with it for a while. Lucky I don't have work that requires speaking to customers or clients. Hopefully my colleagues will be understanding.

kellyb

#8 Post by kellyb »

LEtranger, when i had my lowers fitted in january i had a lisp on and off for about the first 2 couple weeks. since having my uppers fitted last weekend i haven't noticed any change in my speech though

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

smilingoutloud22

#9 Post by smilingoutloud22 »

I've had elastics since day one. They're totally fine, and I don't know what it would be like not to have them. Everything I've read and heard from my ortho makes me feel like the elastics are a HUGE part of expediting treatment ... not using them can bring treatment to a standstill. I heard my ortho ask a boy in the room whether he had used his elastics 24/7. He said "yes." My ortho said "you sure you don't want to reconsider? Because I can tell as soon as you open your mouth." Being an overachiever, I want to make sure he notices that I use mine all the time haha. Must admit that the second night I went out in them, I kept the elastics off for a bit so I could actually talk because they kept sticking to my lips, but I vowed not to get in that habit and I haven't since. Elastics seem like the one aspect of treatment I CAN control, so I'm doing my best to use them all the time. Drinking lots of water and using ChapStick renewal lip balm (day and night time formulas!) has helped a lot.

Elastics haven't impacted my speech at all - only the bite turbo has been the culprit.

LEtranger

#10 Post by LEtranger »

smilingoutloud22 wrote:Elastics haven't impacted my speech at all - only the bite turbo has been the culprit.
What exactly is a bite turbo? My doctor said something about me needing a piece of plastic on the back of my upper front teeth to stop me from biting down all the way. It would make it hard to talk normal for about a week. Not sure what he said the name was but not bite turbo, then again I'm not living in a English speaking country so that doesn't mean much.
2012 Spring - Braces on
2013 Autumn - Surgery
2014 Spring - Braces off

smilingoutloud22

#11 Post by smilingoutloud22 »

LEtranger wrote:
smilingoutloud22 wrote:Elastics haven't impacted my speech at all - only the bite turbo has been the culprit.
What exactly is a bite turbo? My doctor said something about me needing a piece of plastic on the back of my upper front teeth to stop me from biting down all the way. It would make it hard to talk normal for about a week. Not sure what he said the name was but not bite turbo, then again I'm not living in a English speaking country so that doesn't mean much.
Sounds like the same thing! The first week definitely was the hardest. I'm doing better with the talking now, but it's still hard for me to say anything with "s," and some other words still sound weird when I say them. Trying not to let it bother me for now because there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it will come off eventually!