Considering braces.

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

justcurious

Considering braces.

#1 Post by justcurious »

Hey there just thought I would say Hi. :)
I am 22 and considering braces. I was supposed to get them when I was 12 but for whatever reason, my parents didn't follow through on it. Right now I'm a bit worried about cost and the likely other dental work I'll need done first but it's just a thought I've been having lately. I have never liked my teeth, always felt self conscious :( I would like to try to get them on this year but we'll see. I don't even know what needs to be done.

Anyways, hi!

Acklay

Re: Considering braces.

#2 Post by Acklay »

Hello and Welcome!

I'm having a similar experience. I'm 20, and for years my dentist has told me that I was borderline on needing braces. Two weeks ago I went for a consultation with an orthodontist and I am glad I did. I knew a few of me teeth were crooked, but my orthodontist pointed out my rather bad overbite - somehow nobody, including myself, had noticed it before. The consultation was free and the orthodontist and staff were very friendly. I had spacers put in last week, and will be getting metal braces on Thursday.

I would recommend that you at least get a consultation with an orthodontist to see what needs done. You may find like I did that there are problems you are not aware of, and fixing them now will prevent more serious problems in the long run.
Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

NICURN85

#3 Post by NICURN85 »

Hi and Welcome!!!

I have known since high school I needed braces, but my parents could not afford to get them for both my sister and I so guess who got them!!! The first thing I would do would be to consult with at least 2 orthodontists to see what they say. The consultations are free. It was so weird becase all three I went to said the same things about my teeth and was going to do almost the same treatment plan. The reason I chose the one I am going to now is because he has a good relationship with my dentist and they can communicate back and forth on my plan. Also, the staff and the orthodontist are so friendly and I fit in great with the environment!!! You should also see if there are some orthodontist that your dentist can refer you to also. Good luck in your journey and keep us posted!!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

ohdakotah

#4 Post by ohdakotah »

I went through the same thing, I have two "vampire teeth" right on my top gums, and for the longest time I've been so upset about them.. and now, at eighteen I'm getting the braces, because I'd rather have a great smile than sitting there wondering "what if" :)

1of7

#5 Post by 1of7 »

i considered braces for over 10 years and now i'm 10 years older w/ braces.

My tolerance for pain isn't what it used to be and i hate not being able to eat during the first week they're tightened. I think the younger you are the less amount of days the pain lasts.

If it is within your financial means go for it because the sooner the better. :)

Realizingadream

#6 Post by Realizingadream »

Hey Just:

I got braces on my upper arch yesterday, at 62 years old. I had perfect teeth until I was 25 when I heard a "ping" and felt a pop and suddenly my two front teeth went slantyways. I think that's the correct word. I've had my lower arch braced for 6 months.

So then I fooled myself that everything was fine, because we could never afford orthodontia for myself or the kids. I finally got sick of this mess and am getting them fixed. I think the younger you are when you get them fixed, the more good years you get out of them. They'll look nice, and they will be much easier for you to brush and floss. If there is any way you can afford it, I would recommend you do it.

In fact, one of my kids got Invisalign 2 years ago, as an adult. She does a lot of public speaking in her job. That's one of the things that gave me the push to get braces myself, her getting treatment. Invisaligns are not for everyone. They wouldn't have worked for me. My daughter was supposed to be in them for 6 months but she has been faithfully wearing them for 2 years. It sounds like patients are fairly not compliant with wearing them, so even if Invisalign was appropriate for me (it isn't) I would just get braces anyway, having seen what she has been going through. Her teeth do look very nice now, though.

I had three different orthodontists look at me. Appointments were free. The one didn't offer any treatment! What's up with that? And he's only 4 blocks from my house. Bad attitude, him. The second ortho offered to only fix the uppers, and I was saving money to have that done, because the uppers were the only ones I was worried about, actually. The third, the one I chose, uses Damon braces, which I researched and found out THAT is what I want (and now HAVE whooo). He offered to fix the uppers and the lowers, and for $100 less than the lady who was only going to fix the uppers! Now that I look back on that consult where she offered to just fix the one arch, she didn't seem all that good. I mean, really, WOULD my teeth have worked properly if she only fixed the one arch?--I kind of doubt it. I am REALLY glad I found this guy. DO YOUR RESEARCH and get the right treatment for your teeth, and the right orthodontist!

Actually, I didn't realize my lower arch teeth were so bad! After having braces on them for 6 months, two of the teeth that were flopped on their sides practically, and really hard to brush, are well on their way to being back in line like they should be. AND I HAD NEVER NOTICED, at least I had not noted it as a problem.

You, Justcurious, fixing your teeth at your age, will have opportunity to SAVE MONEY by not getting cavities in teeth that are impossible to brush and floss. Boy have I spent money and endured pain, because NO ONE told me I could be helped by braces!

What is wrong with the dental community in my town, that they never encouraged me to get orthodontia?

What there is of my story is on the "Over 60 and Bisphophonate Concerns" thread.

Real