Excited...scared...fed up....excited....scared

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dilemma

Excited...scared...fed up....excited....scared

#1 Post by Dilemma »

Quick new introduction post cause hubby went to bed and is wondering where I am and I still gotta spend 20 mins brushing teeth! 36 yrs, hated my horse mouth and decided to do something about it. I live in Japan, though, where braces are still not common and not having much (any?) social network so have very limited moral support except for my babe who is supportive but can't sympathize having never experienced this himself. Frequent reader since getting braced 5 months ago but only just registered because I may need some support and experienced imput through my journney. I get scared! Was this agoid decision? Especially as I'm doing it in a foreign language AND in a country that is only just embracing (pun so intentional) orthodontics. Current dilemma, bite off, new elastics, jaw stiff and clicking - surgery closed for 10 days for New Years. Do I quit the elastics or not. I've just had 2 whiskeys thinking about it... And, yes, blah blah to some, I shouldn't drink alcohol but a) I have braces in Japan at 36 and b) you should meet my students! IPhone keypad, please forgive any typos. Even from a supposed English teacher.

Jessesgirl09

Re: Excited...scared...fed up....excited....scared

#2 Post by Jessesgirl09 »

I would most definitely keep your elastics in!! You're in the middle of progress and yes, you made a great decision and are on the road to a great smile! I'm in elastics, too and my jaw feels stiff and clicks a bit. But things are shifting and your jaw and teeth are being held in a position that is new and takes time to adjust. They are a pain, but they're making a difference! :thumbsup: Just keep following your Dr.'s advice and before you know it you will be brace free! Pain is beauty they say haha.
Second round of braces. 2007-2009 and again in August 2013.

jem

#3 Post by jem »

Dilemma,

There is another Westerner in Japan on this message board. I think her username is Ciara. Her posts are always helpful and kind. You may wish to search for her and compare experiences.

Good luck with your treatment

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

Definitely keep those elastics in! Taking them out will only prolong your time in braces and it doesn't sound like that's something you would want. I've been wearing mine 24/7 (except when I'm eating/brushing) and have found that my teeth actually hurt when I don't put them in. Keep it up and I hope you can find someone in the same type of situation :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Dilemma

#5 Post by Dilemma »

Thank you for the all the support. What I ended up doing was switching to looser elastics I had leftover from the previous positioning. My top front teeth are hitting the bottom brackets so my back teeth don't quite meet. That's making me click and grind my teeth at night exasperating the problems so I ordered a mouth guard off Amazon which has helped. Had my appointment 5 days ago. He took off the metal bands he had on the second molars replacing it with a normal bracket to be kinder and I have new elastics to help move in the bottom teeth a little. Wearing them religiously but I gotta tell you, though, teaching in elastics sucks!
AND a cavity was discovered under an old badly done filling in the 1st molar which needs a root canal. Aaargh. The dentist working on the cavity pauses, calls in the orthodontist to look who says "oh my god, well do what you can for now" and the (young) dentist is like "are you sure?....OK..."

So wish me luck with that one, too. Hope my tooth isn't going to drop out spontaneously!

Thanks guys. And good luck to you all, too. Gambarimashou!