Bracing myself at 53!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shredie79

Re: Bracing myself at 53!

#16 Post by shredie79 »

Thanks for checking in, TheKT! I think our orthodontic experience is quicker and less painful than if we'd done this 40 years ago, don't you think? :jump: Are you pleased with your results so far?

vyvyen

#17 Post by vyvyen »

Well I've joined you in the bracket club, I got my braces on yesterday. My mouth feels like it's been shredded and my teeth are just a little tender but I'm actually glad I've finally started on the journey. :)

shredie79

#18 Post by shredie79 »

Good to feel a part of an 'improved tooth movement'. I am feeling well since my first adjustment. Like others I am wishing things would straighten overnight. I find myself taking many mouth selfies to scout for new signs of progress....comparing older pix of my teeth with new ones. If you have braces then I imagine you can relate? Here is my most recent from this morning...short of 2 months.
One side of my mouth is aligning quite well; the other half is just beginning to stir. I would like the straightening aspect to be complete so the focus of my treatment is the BITE. My jaw is never relaxed. I clench constantly, searching for comfort and a relaxing position to rest my teeth. I still have molar hold ups which I don't like but feel save my teeth from abuse of clenching. I really need to order more bite wafers as I have gnawed mine sufficiently! I went to town with it on a recent flight to a business meeting. LOL It beats chewing gum for starters...or straws and pens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dougsey

#19 Post by Dougsey »

I went back and looked at your day 1 pic and you are making great progress!
Click HERE for my journal

TheKT

#20 Post by TheKT »

shreddie, I am coming along well and have an adjustment scheduled for Monday and can't wait. I hate having braces but am dealing with them. I know I will be satisfied when they are off. I am already seeing them straighten out and it's been since 12/19.

pjade1

#21 Post by pjade1 »

I am glad to see I am not the only one in my 50s to get braces. I will be getting mine in July. I am glad you are seeing nice progress being we are older. I am 52 so I guess it's never too late. Mine will be mostly for an overbite/overjet and not so much crooked teeth but I was told 30 months in braces. I hope it goes quickly.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

shredie79

#22 Post by shredie79 »

I am so happy to hear about your progress, TheKT! Post some pix! My second adjustment is a week from today, and like you, I feel some changes have been taking place. I'll let everyone see what's been happening...have you been doing any clenching of your molars? I don't know, but I take delight in clenching my upper molars down and having my lower molars wiggle a bit....ugh...bad habit. I feel them 'squishing' back and forth. I am just afraid I might fracture a tooth! Here is my status before next week's ortho appt.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kmadsen65

#23 Post by kmadsen65 »

I'm 48, so close to my 50's and just got my braces yesterday. I was supposed to get both top and bottom, but I'm also getting a discluding appliance for my overbite and it wasn't in yet so I couldn't get the bottom ones. I was really bummed because that means I will have to keep all of 8 spacers in until next Wednesday. Not a happy camper about that.

The insides of my mouth aren't too terribly sore yet, but I woke up to SORE TEETH! I couldn't get Advil fast enough. Eating is very uncomfortable with the spacers in. It's only teeth, but I feel like my whole world has been turned upside down. I just keep telling myself to keep my eye on the prize, keep my eye on the prize!!
Kelly
Metal Brackets Upper 6/26/14
Lower Brackets & Discluding Appliance 7/2/14

shredie79

#24 Post by shredie79 »

Hello Braces Friends!

It has now been 3 months since my Damon braces install. Like many of you, I have gotten into a routine. This includes flossing and brushing several times a day....almost to an obsessive scale. My husband is finally accepting this. Right now we are traveling on a coast to coast road trip to Oregon. My routine still continues. My trusty portable water pik is along for the ride. This has really helped. I pass the miles after meals flossing with Oral B glider floss in the passenger visor mirror.

The day before the road trip I had ortho visit #2 post initial install where my 3rd wire was replaced. Because I will be away for 10 weeks, my orthodontist put in the heftiest wires he could to continue my progress. So I have 2 rectangular wires vs the beginner round arch wires from previous weeks. My goodness, I felt that change! Ouch! It has been a week now and back to eating normal foods--normal by braces. standards, that is. I still miss eating breads with ease. Salads are ridiculously frustrating. With summer here, I miss all the crunchy veggies and fruits and BBQ meat on bones. Can anyone relate?

So the goal for my teeth this term is to move my lower and top 6 teeth forward or outward. I have an overbite but teeth tilt inward...if you were to see a profile. The newer arch wires should thrust and turn the teeth forward. My ortho expects most of this to take place by the time he sees me again around Labor Day.
I know I have a mouthful of work to be done with my teeth and bite to date but I feel confident now that progress is underway. I submit a couple pictures for your review.

I wish everyone a pain free July 4 coming up in a couple of days! Cheers to all of us closing on on our Independence-from-Braces Days!!!

pjade1

#25 Post by pjade1 »

Wow, those do look like some heavy duty wires. I hope are doing good on your road trip.
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too

vyvyen

#26 Post by vyvyen »

Hey Shreddie,

Just thought I'd check in and see how you are going with your braces. I have now had mine on for 8 weeks and had a wire change yesterday which I note is a lot more noticeable than the last one :wink: . So glad I'm going through this with other fabulous 50 pluses :D .

Cheers,

Vyvyen

shredie79

#27 Post by shredie79 »

Hi V!
Yes, it is wonderful having an understanding support system online! I am plugging right along....most days are just fine and I have no crazy issues with my mouth. This being said....not a day goes by, however, when I am not aware of the constant, low grade pressure I feel on my back lower molars. I still constantly clench those plastic molar build ups I have back there...which I find exhausting. My hubby doesn't get it, but I can never completely relax until I am asleep. I hope those build ups get removed real soon. My ortho isn't ready to pry them off until he is sure my upper and lower teeth don't knock brackets off.

I eat quite well now...I actually can manage salad and steak if cut up well. I use my front incisors to bite sandwiches and hotdogs if I am careful. I have noticed my lower teeth doing some funky moving. Here's a picture to illustrate the new gap being made in my lower teeth :( I have a feeling that a power chain may be in my future to close that gap. My middle school students complain about pain with those. The teeth responsible for the gap are tender now.

How are you managing your wire change? Would love to hear from others

pjade1

#28 Post by pjade1 »

I can relate. I just got my spacers in yesterday and those are making me clench. It feels like I want to pick them out from in between my teeth. Having the rubber there makes me want to clench too.

shredie79

#29 Post by shredie79 »

July 29th photo update.
Gap continues to grow on lower teeth.

pjade1

#30 Post by pjade1 »

Interesting about that gap. I see that your lower teeth are shifted up too. Mine are also like that so my arch wire is straighter on the sides and then moves up with the front lower teeth.