First time with braces at 26

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ChuckMase

First time with braces at 26

#1 Post by ChuckMase »

Hi All,

My name is Chuck and I just recently decided to get braces (at 26yrs of age). I figured the crowding of my teeth wasn't going to get any better so it was best to take care of this issue now rather than later. I've had my braces on since last Friday (Sept 16th) and so far the experience hasn't been to bad. Over the years my teeth (primarily bottom) started becoming crowded because I waited a while to have my wisdom teeth removed, which definitely wasn't wise because now my bottom front teeth have become very crowded. My top teeth aren't bad except one tooth that's slightly twisted.

Let me show you what I'm working with so you see what I mean (don't laugh to hard):

ImageImageImageImage

I tell you something, you never notice how bad your teeth are until you take a picture of them.

The only problem I've been having so far is EATING. I don't mind brushing my teeth more or the discomfort of having these things on, but not being able to eat what I want is tough. In addition, it's hard to chew foods so you don't get to fully taste anything unless it's absolutey soft. One other thing that's slightly annoying are the rubber bands, but I've heard they are a neccessary annoyance.

So far the orthodontist hasn't removed any teeth because my back teeth and bite are fine. I hope all goes well without removing any teeth, but if need be I'm up for it. Well I just thought I'd share with some people whom seem to be going through the same stuff I'm going through.
Last edited by ChuckMase on Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body.

HollyDontSpend

Welcome!!!

#2 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Hey congrats on taking the step foward! They look great! I think I was pretty shocked too the first time I took a picture of my teeth in braces and the crookedness was accentuated by the curving archwire and, what looked like crooked brackets. HA! Don't worry, we all have had that. :lol:
I have had elastics since November of last year and pretty much the same configuration. Sometimes I forget they're there. You'll be able to eat most anything soon enough. So, welcome, welcome! :)
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

ChuckMase

#3 Post by ChuckMase »

KK wrote:Great stuff ChuckMase, hope your orthodontic journey is a great one!

I recently emailed a photo of my teeth to my daughter to show her my purple ligs ... she's also a purple person ... and the reply I got back was ... great ligs, never realised how horrible your teeth were! Oh well ... guess it's not till we take photos that focus on our teeth that we really see them ... most of us have become very good at hiding them over the years!

Welcome to this community ... pull up a chair and never be shy to ask questions, vent or share with this group! :banana:
I completely understand where you coming from when you say "hiding your teeth." I talked a certain way so most people never even knew my bottom teeth were crowded because my top teeth were pretty straight and my teeth are pearly white. I got to a certain point when I thought this is completely idiotic and should take care of the issue one day.

Over the last 6 months I put away the money to completely pay off the braces and decided to get them towards the end of the summer, which I actually stuck with. I went to two orthodontists, which were charging approximately the same price and provided me with an identical analysis of my teeth. In the end I choose my original orthodontist even though he was a little more expensive ($100-$200), but he was available 5 days a week (compared to once every other week) and overall I liked the way he carried himself better. I've learned it's not good to be cheap with everything, especially when it comes to your health.

So far all has been well. In fact, when I remove the elastics no one even notices I have braces on at all because the ceramic brackets are virtually invisible unless your really close to me. It's tough eating comfortably with the braces, but that's something I'll just have the deal with. Overall, I'm happy I made the leap because I know my investment will be worth it.

Thanks for all of the support.

mcvicker

#4 Post by mcvicker »

I too got my first braces at 26 :) I'd have it no other way now.
Starting date: Aug 12, 2004
Completion date: July 2007.
Assessment: Best thing I've done for myself so far.
Dr: Bert Kelling