Newly braced - 38 yr. old mom of two preschoolers

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

designermom

Newly braced - 38 yr. old mom of two preschoolers

#1 Post by designermom »

<br>
<br>
Just wanted to introduce myself. I got my uppers put on January 5th and the lowers will go on in six months.

This is my second time in braces (first time was in junior high). May of last year I got a nightguard for my bruxism/grinding. Two weeks later none of my molars were touching and my teeth felt like someone else's. My dentist referred me to an orthodontist.

The nightguard had relaxed my lower jaw into it's normal position and the reason for my bruxism became apparent. It turns out my lower jaw grew after getting my braces off in my teens. As a result, I'd been working to cram my teeth behind the lower ones for over 20 years. I'd "trained" my jaw to do it, but it was very unnatural and there is alot of excessive wear on my teeth.

I have "Ice" with "wire ties" on the top and will have metal on the bottom. 12 months total treatment time.

I'm looking forward to being able to chew normally and not have migraines! Thanks for reading and I'd love to hear from anyone who had a similar problem.

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

Welcome. My braces go on Thursday. I am also 38 and have small children. I have 3 boys who are 7,5,and 2. I'm worried that the 2 year old isn't going to like the braces and try to pull them off. He's not going to be too happy when he can't slam his face up against mine for a kiss :yikes:
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

designermom

Glow

#3 Post by designermom »

They do kinda glow when the lights hits them!

My kids were mystified at first, but I spent some time letting them count the brackets and they seem ok with it. They also know that they have to be careful not to accidentally hit me in the face (happens alot with small kids).

Thanks for the welcome!

Granola

#4 Post by Granola »

I have "Ice" with "wire ties" on the top and will have metal on the bottom. 12 months total treatment time.
I will have this exact same configuration in a few weeks' time. Congrats! Your braces look great, and I was so happy to see your pic of the ICE brackets since I am getting them too. They really DO glow. :D

How is the comfort of the ceramics on top compared to the metal brackets on the bottom for you?

I think my two year old is going to be absolutely fascinated with my braces. You know two year olds--they should be awarded a degree for the way they study and know their moms.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

designermom

#5 Post by designermom »

To Granola - I don't have the bottom ones on yet, so I can't compare. BUT compared to the first time I had braces this is a peice of cake as far as pain.

I like the wire ties ALOT - no staining with coffee or mustard (what I've tried so far) Also, the ICE brackets don't really glow as much as the pics show - it's mostly the flash. They reflect more light than others like Clarity. I'm really happy with them so far.

Sorry it took so long to post a reply! [/quote]