Taking the plunge - braces at 26

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EdgeofFreedom

Taking the plunge - braces at 26

#1 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

Well, I finally did it... I had my first apointment with an orthodontist today.

I have been procrastinating about it for years and I decided to give it a whirl and see what could be done. My mouth is pretty crowded, I have a very square bite, a canine tooth sticking far out, an overbite and my top front teeth are tilting backwards.

So the orthodontist took pictures and examined my teeth and prescribed treatment. He said I would have to have my top pre-molars extracted on each side (the ones behind the canines) and braces put in on top and bottom. I didn't think it was that bad...

I don't really like the idea of having teeth pulled, nor do I feel really warm about braces. I'm a high school teacher, and I can't really imagine the kid's reactions if I was to show up with teeth missing. So I think I'll wait until the end of june to start treatment, that way my canines will have two months to move back and hide the hole. At least I hope so!

I've been doing a lot of personal work in the last two years... weight loss, stopped smoking, worked on my insecurities... this is one more step in gaining the self-confidence that I lack. I truly hope it is a good decision.

Here is one pic of my lovely teeth...
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

EdgeofFreedom

#2 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

Thank you!

I took my appointment for the molds to be done. It will be next week.... I'm still hesitating between having this done as soon as possible so it will be over with faster or waiting until summer to give time for my extractions to be less visible.

What do you think I should do?
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

Best of luck to you! Do it when you feel you want it done. I wouldn't worry about the extractions and teaching. You could just explain to them what you are having done if you want to stop any speculation at the beginning. I would go ahead and start right away if that is what you want. Don't let other people's reactions stop you. Follow your own heart, you know what is best for you.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Lin

#4 Post by Lin »

Congrats on your decision EdgeofFreedom! I can really respect you for trying to improve yourself and work on your self-confidence. I am on a similar journey... trying to make myself a better person inside and out. My braces go on at the end of this month.

As for when to get yours on, only you can know when you will be most comfortable with that... just remember to do it for you. If waiting would make it easier on you, there is no reason not to. Plus you would have extra time to recover from the surgery in summer. If doing it sooner and ending sooner might make you happier, that is just as great... either way you choose there are advantages.

Good luck!!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

EdgeofFreedom

#5 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

Thank you all for your advice...

I have decided to go for it as soon as possible. Maybe I can have them put on before march break, that way I will have a week to get used to them before going back to work.

I have my evaluation this week, I also have an appointment at the bank for a small loan to get the first payments out of the way. I've never undertaken such a huge thing in my life, nor something that would cause me to have debts! It's scary. But hey, better now then never!
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

sbaughman

Teaching

#6 Post by sbaughman »

Hi Edge of Freedom,

Don't worry--I'm a high school teacher too, and I find teenagers pretty sympathetic. So many of them have braces, have had them, or are getting them. They're pretty sweet about it! Good luck with your treatment.

Cissa

#7 Post by Cissa »

This is completely off topic, but I'm curious as to how you went about becoming a high school teacher. What class(es) do you teach? Did you get a Master's or can you teach with a Bachelor's? Did you take teaching courses during undergraduate study or after graduation.

CHOIRSPARKLE

#8 Post by CHOIRSPARKLE »

Good Luck!!
Braces Put On:

Upper: June 2003
Lower: Oct. 2004

EdgeofFreedom

#9 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

Cissa: I pm'd you!

choirsparkle: Thank you very much!

I had my first appointment yesterday. They took the x-rays and the molds (foul!) I have another appointment on feb 13th to discuss atreatment and decide which course it would follow. I can't wait to get this started! :)

It doesn't show AT ALL in my pictures, but I have really white teeth, and so far three people at the orthodontists office have remarked on that. Two asked if I had had my teeth whitened (never have) and another just made a comment about it. She said "With teeth that white to start with, you'll have a truly wonderful smile when we finish with you!" my answer was "Lucky they are this white, 'cause I already have enough to worry about with how crooked they are!" It's funny, 'cause my dentist always comments on that too, he once had to order whiter material for my fillings because he doesn't usually keep that colour in stock and the whitest one he had would have shown against the tooth he was repairing. :lol:

It's encouraging, as I said, i really can't wait to get started! :D
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine

EdgeofFreedom

On my way!

#10 Post by EdgeofFreedom »

I hope I can get the braces put on before marh break! I think an appointment on feb 13th might put off my next appointment to after the break. I can only hope!
Smiling is in!
---------------
Tine