Newly Braced

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

saycheese

Newly Braced

#1 Post by saycheese »

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking all week and decided to finally say hello.

My journey to braces is a long time coming. When the dentist recommended them when I was around 14, I did not want them. I was already an awkward teenager with terrible acne. I didn't want braces!

So, here I am at 43 wearing braces. :(

It happened so sudden. I had been thinking about them off and on for about 10 years. Three weeks ago I got my teeth cleaned and mentioned to the hygienist that I thought the gap in my teeth was getting larger and that my teeth were starting to protrude. It appears my tongue is pushing my teeth outward.

She called in the dentist who referred me to an orthodontist. A week later, I went in for my consultation, arranged my financing and now I have braces.

I have wonderful insurance. The total cost of my treatment is going to be around $8,000. The insurance covered all but $1,900. It would have been $1,500 but I chose ceramics for my front teeth. My insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the ceramics but I'm not complaining.

My teeth really ache. I think it's the spacers in my back teeth that are giving me the trouble. I've taken all your advice here in the forum with salt water, wax, and Ibuprofen.

I telework so none of my co-workers have seen my new braces. I told my manager and a few co-workers but not my entire team. I have to go into the office in 2 weeks for a meeting. I wonder how many people will notice? I'm very self-conscious.

I just ran two errands earlier this morning and felt like everyone was staring at my mouth.

I'm also an ordained minister. One of the reasons I finally decided to do something about my teeth. Anyhow, I have a wedding to officiate this weekend and I'm worried about my speech. My top lip keeps getting caught on my braces. :oops:

Anyhow, I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks for all your advice. :D

Peace,

Sheila
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

Mel-UK

Re: Newly Braced

#2 Post by Mel-UK »

saycheese wrote: My top lip keeps getting caught on my braces. :oops:
Hi Sheila,

Congratulations on getting your braces.

I had the same thing - but it got better very quickly, a matter of days. I think I just open my month just that bit wider so the braces don't get caught.

Good luck at the wedding.
Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

saycheese

#3 Post by saycheese »

Lucyloop wrote: Things should get easier and in time you may forget they are even there!! :wink: Time also flies by.

Thanks, Lucy.

I'm certainly looking forward to that time :D

See you around the forum.

Sheila
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

Welcome to the board.

Hang in there, as everyone else has said, things will get better...you just need to get used to all this new stuff in your mouth. Everything happenned really fast for me as well. I am still trying to recover from all the dental stuff I had to do back in november and december. The braces haven't fully hit me yet!!

Good luck :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006