Hi. New kid on the block

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

davidpeden

Hi. New kid on the block

#1 Post by davidpeden »

Hello to everyone else on their road to straighter teeth. The big day for me is 5/5/06!!! Getting mored scared the coser it comes. But then closer to having a nicer smile. :)
The long road to straight teeth!

shaynesgirl

#2 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi there david :D I'm also new here, my braces are going on in a few hours and this whole past week I've been so impatient to get them on but now I'm feeling a little anxious. Fear of the unknown...

This is a wonderful forum, wherever you turn you will find some encouragement and support from the people on this board. This board has been a big factor in my decision to go ahead and be braced.

I really want this nervous feeling to go away, I suppose that will happen once I'm sitting in the "chair"...

Congratulations on your decision to improve your own smile david, the feeling may be scary but think about how courageous you actually are...

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Hey, congratulations to both of you for soon getting braces...in a few hours ;)

Don't worry too much...getting the braces put on is not bad at all...the shocking part is when at the end, you get to close your mouth and you feel all these stuff in your mouth...you will get used to it though ;)

Let us know how it goes!!!

Good luck and I am looking forward to reading how it went :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

davidpeden

#4 Post by davidpeden »

Hi Shaynesgirl. How did it go with the fitting of the braces? Hope everything going ok and not too uncomfortable. Agree with you about this website helping in your final decision about getting braces. It's a great site with lots of info, and personal stories of getting braces. At 31 I thought braces were a thing of the past, but after looking on this site and great support from my wife, have decided to go for it :) but still very nervous :?
The long road to straight teeth!

shaynesgirl

#5 Post by shaynesgirl »

David, the actual fitting of braces went fine, it felt strange at first but you get used to the feeling of braces in your mouth pretty quickly. I'm now in Day 3 and having to use loads of wax on the sharp and pokey bits of hardware now inside my mouth. It is painful for me to bite and chew so I have been eating soft food and soup. From what I've been told on this forum, this uncomfortable stage does not last too long at all so I'm looking forward to things improving very soon.

Following the advice of KK and others, I have stayed focussed on why I am doing this, keeping my "dreams and hopes" alive :D Also closely following the practical advice you will find on here (stock up on your wax, gargle with saltwater etc)

The main thing has been my mental attitude...if you stay positive and focussed on your goal (even though it seems a long way off) it definitely helps in dealing with the physical discomfort and uneasiness in social situations. I've not seen too many people yet, but I've had nothing but support and positive reactions from those I have seen. I go back to work tomorrow, and even though I will still be feeling a little sore, I feel more than ready to deal with that as well.

Once you make the decision that you will go for braces, I think that's the hardest part... every day will give you a new reason to be glad you have made that decision :D

All the best for May 5th David!
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

shaynesgirl

#6 Post by shaynesgirl »

Thanks for your kind words rage31, I think it's because I have needed and wanted braces for so long that it's (relatively) easy for me at the age of 35. I am OVER having bad teeth, I want to be proud of my smile and to feel comfortable when I chew and eat (overbite).

I hope you're not having too much trouble with your spacers. I still have 2 spacers in my teeth( they broke before my brace day). Consequently, there was not enough space for that 4th molar band on brace day. Glad I'm not really chewing anything at the moment so those spacers can do their job now!

It's great to get online and come to a place where everyone is so helpful, as you said, and to feel that support. Looking forward to hearing how you go on your brace day rage31! :D All the best!
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Shae32

#7 Post by Shae32 »

Interesting that my first post isn't a new thread, but a secondary post on this one.

Just wanted to let you know, David, that you won't be alone on the 5th of May. I'll be having my braces put on as well. It's the first time ever for me, as well.

Just wanted to say hi!

Will have braces put on May 5, 2006.
Upper Ceramic, Lower Speed.