Hi, I'm new!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sparkles61785

Hi, I'm new!

#1 Post by Sparkles61785 »

Hi everybody! :-) My name is Alexis. I am a junior Psychology major in a university. I love to read, write, have fun, go out, and make people smile. I can't wait until I'll be the one smiling. I have braces and will have them for the next 16-22 months, depending on how well I take care of them. I'm happy that there are other adults like me. :-)
[/url]

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

Welcome! I was a psych minor (OK a while ago) and got a Masters in a related field, so I love to talk psych, or most anything else.

I just got braces a few months ago and have been really struggling with them (Damon). Not pain or anything, but they are so fragile. What kind did you get?

People on this forum are really helpful answering questions about ortho stuff, but you should check out "off topic" for all kinds of interesting threads. You probably don't have a lot of time to do so at school, but that's what Spring Break is for.

Take care.

Sparkles61785

#3 Post by Sparkles61785 »

I have the clear ceramic braces. That's so cool that you took Psychology in college. :-) What are Damon braces? :?:
[/url]

missingu

#4 Post by missingu »

As I understand it, Damons are a kind of bracket (still metal, but smaller) that are considered "self-ligating" - something about how the wire moves with less friction and with lighterweight metal.

The benefit is that you only need adjustments every 8 weeks, and treatment time is generally 6 months shorter than conventional because things work smoother. From the research the company publishes, that is true, but there is a HUGE split it seems in the ortho community between those who swear by Damons and those who swear at them. I am in the latter because since they are lightweight they are also pretty fragile...long story. I think ceramics sound good, though, so I hope they are working for you.

I am currently in a clinical psych field. Do you hope to use your degree directly after school, go to grad school, or start down another path (as most of us eventually do!)

By the way, did you see the cover of "NewsweeK" this week. The goopd Sigmund Freud is on the cover and the banner reads "Freud is NOT dead." I haven't read it yet, but I am curious.

Sparkles61785

#5 Post by Sparkles61785 »

Wow, it's funny that I've never heard about Damons. I hope that you're teeth progress smoothly. I plan on going to graduate school after I get my degree, and pursue my Phd. I am going to be a clinical psychologist specializing in either anxiety disorders, or just family and marital counseling. I haven't seen that magazine, but I will look out for it. How long are you going to have your braces?
[/url]

Sparkles61785

#6 Post by Sparkles61785 »

Sparkles61785 wrote:Wow, it's funny that I've never heard about Damons. I hope that you're teeth progress smoothly. I plan on going to graduate school after I get my degree, and pursue my Phd. I am going to be a clinical psychologist specializing in either anxiety disorders, or just family and marital counseling. I haven't seen that magazine, but I will look out for it. How long are you going to have your braces?
Sorry I meant "Your teeth progress smoothly"

lol :oops:
[/url]

pedouard

#7 Post by pedouard »

Hi! Just wanted to say good luck with everything wish you the best and update us on your progess! :D
having braces is a huge step, feel proud of yourself that you took this step to better your self!!!!!