Braces just as I enter adulthood

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tobiasreign

Braces just as I enter adulthood

#1 Post by tobiasreign »

I am Eric S. and I turned 18 4 months ago. I went to the dentist and to my and my dentist's surprise I developed a slight underbite because my jaw grew. I was sent to an orthodontist and he said that it could mostlikely be fixed with braces. I have the spacers right now and will be getting the hardware this coming thursday. I am both excited and terrified. He said I'll only have to wear them for a year and a half and I will wear a retainer for 3 to four years after that. But this is definatly an interesting way to start my adult life.

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

I think starting "adulthood" with braces shows incredible maturity and reflects the fact that you understand being an adult means making decisions and doing things that you may not want to do, but will do because they will benefit you in the long run.

At least you'll have them off by 21, almost a more important age.

Good luck on braces day...keep in mind that this decision is one you made as an adult, not because someone said you had to, which is the more important barometer of being an adult than having braces.

Welcome.

shaynesgirl

#3 Post by shaynesgirl »

Eric, wonderful that you are taking action now to correct your underbite. I knew I needed orthondontic treatment from about your age, but my parents couldn't afford it. I was full-time uni student by then also and money was always tight!

I am 35 now and have had to endure years of hating my teeth and hiding my smile. :( So Eric, consider yourself fortunate to be embarking on your braces journey early in your adult life. All the best with your treatment!
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

I agree with missingu. I was completely irresponsible before and I didn't care about the way my teeth looked or my bite was even though they are both that bad. I just really didn't want braces, but I figured that I wasn't ready for them really. I think that you need to be in a point of ur life in which you feel like you should have them and all those things.
But I think you are in a great age to do it because your jaws are no longer growing and like missingu said it's a great way to start your adulthood. Don't be affraid of what others may say or think, you'll look great once you are done!
Good luck to you,
Joana

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February