new and having problems w/essix retainers

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akness

new and having problems w/essix retainers

#1 Post by akness »

I'm new to this site. I just got essix retainers about 5 months ago and hate them, the already have a hole in them and are cracked in three places. Just wondering if a metal retainer is any better and the price difference between the two.
Thanks!! :D

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

depending on their thickness some essix will only last about 6 to 12 months. Less if you are a grinder.

If you dont like it perhaps a hawley ret might be a better choice for you.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

swellen

#3 Post by swellen »

I had the same problem - after a year my Essix retainer had two small holes in it and obviously more on the way. I had a Hawley retainer made (AUD$450) which is working okay although I wouldn't like wearing it during the day. The front of the wire is coated with plastic that moulds to my front four teeth - keeps my teeth snug but is quite bulky. I also find the plate rather bulky and it makes me feel a little bit like gagging - however I have seen other people's Hawley retainers and they've been a lot smaller than mine. As I only wear mine at night it's not such a big deal so I'm not worried. I still wear the Essix retainer one or two nights a week just to make sure that my teeth aren't moving - although the Essix is a pain in terms of wearing out I do like the way it holds my teeth in place. It feels much more effective than the Hawley although that's probably not the case in reality.

flotsam

bleh, I'm with you

#4 Post by flotsam »

I just got an Essix upper and Hawley lower, and I hate the Essix with a passion (and not just because it isn't blue and polka-dotted :-)). I feel like I should be in a boxing movie, and IMO, it is totally noticeable, whereas I think the Hawley wire is kind of cute. I'm thinking of going in and asking for a Hawley upper as well, but don't want to be too much of a pain....

chops

#5 Post by chops »

I think I'm the opposite of you, as I rather have an essix than the hawley I have now. I thought essix retainers were near invisible, no?? I also don't want to be a pain and ask for an essix though :lol:

hawley's are obviously really noticeable and make me slurrr... :(