Hello I'm new here

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sharonm

#16 Post by sharonm »

You're right.I just can't wait until it's over.I don't know how long I will be in the chair.

lionfish

#17 Post by lionfish »

Hey sharonm, you'll be fine. It's quite natural to mull over all the " what ifs" at this stage. I was no different.

I was in the chair for 1.5hrs to get uppers, so be prepared for at least that.

What happened with mine is that they roughened up the surface of my teeth (it doesn't hurt), then applied some glue to the inner surface, then took the mould casing with the linguals in it and stuck it over my teeth, held it there firmly for a few minutes until they "set".

Then they pulled the mould off (and it felt that they were taking my teeth with it!) and shone this orange beam on my teeth to ensure that the glue/brackets set. Once that was done, my ortho placed the archwire and secured it (he uses wire ties to do this, which results in a bit of pressure as they are tied in). I could feel pressure immediately, but no pain.

It will feel weird at first, but you'll get used to it.

And if you need to vent, you know where to come!!

sharonm

#18 Post by sharonm »

Thanks so much for the reply.I know it won't be as bad as I imagine.I was told alot of things when I had braces on years ago and they never really happened to me.So 1.5 hours for you?I hope I'm not in there for double that!!!!!!!!!!!!

lionfish

#19 Post by lionfish »

I think part of the 1.5 hours included instructions on care, etc.

sharonm

#20 Post by sharonm »

Well they are on!!!!It doesn't hurt at all and it didn't when they put them on.I was there from 11:20 until 1pm.It didn't feel that long.The only thing is that he had to put a spring on the lower right side to help expand my teeth.It is kinda visable but only if you are right next to me of if I probably open my mouth open wide.As for speech they actually said that I don't sound that bad and I don't think I do.Of coarse the letter S is a bit of trouble but nothing major.Unfortunately something happened this morning that really annoyed me.I went to the shops for an hour and when I came back the passenger side of my car was all scraped and dented.I just came back from the smash repairs place and it is gonna cost me $2000.00!!!!!He took $500 off me so that was nice.It looks shocking so I have to get it fixed.So doing all this has been good practice for me in regards to talking with the letter S.I also phoned my mum who didn't notice anything.When I was getting it done I thought a wire was poking me in the tongue and it hurt so bad.it turns out that it was this metal suction thing they were using so I was relieved about that.They also told me it may start to hurt in the next few days but they explained everything to me and were so nice.They also gave me alot of wax to use as well as those floss things you can use for braces and toothpaste and some other stuff.They also showed me a horror picture of someone who had braces but was bad with hygeine.It was disgusting!!!I am gonna do my best to keep these clean.They also told me that if I had any concerns to ring them up no matter how silly I thought they were,as it can delay treatment if I don't.So all in all not a bad day.Except for the car!!!!

sharonm

#21 Post by sharonm »

Thanks for the support.I do feel good about the whole thing.I can't wait though until this spring goes

lionfish

#22 Post by lionfish »

Hee hee! I remember being shown the horror picture of some kid who'd not cleaned his/her braces. I reckon it must be doing the rounds.

Sorry to hear about the car, that's a bummer.

Glad everything else went OK for you.

sharonm

#23 Post by sharonm »

Well I don't have to worry about the car.It's not worth the amount to fix it.Yesterday I went to the dealer and I am getting a new one which I pick up next Tuesday.It's smaller than my old car but stills packs power and is fuel efficient.Anyway,everything is going well with the linguals.I can't chew on anything so I have been living on coffee water and some soup.Brushing is a bit hard because the teeth are sore to touch.I am also worried about the glue coming off them so I have to be gentle anyway.I haven't had to use any wax so that's a positive.My speech is also not too bad.Sometimes it is difficult with the S but if I concentrate it's not that bad.No one has noticed I have them on either.

lionfish

#24 Post by lionfish »

sharonm wrote:Well I don't have to worry about the car.It's not worth the amount to fix it.Yesterday I went to the dealer and I am getting a new one which I pick up next Tuesday.It's smaller than my old car but stills packs power and is fuel efficient.Anyway,everything is going well with the linguals.I can't chew on anything so I have been living on coffee water and some soup.Brushing is a bit hard because the teeth are sore to touch.I am also worried about the glue coming off them so I have to be gentle anyway.I haven't had to use any wax so that's a positive.My speech is also not too bad.Sometimes it is difficult with the S but if I concentrate it's not that bad.No one has noticed I have them on either.
That's good news, on the car front as well.

The glue is generally good. I've only had two instances of brackets coming unstuck; one was attached to a crown (ortho used another glue to put back on and no problems since) and the other got knocked off because I'd been chowing a cheese straw.

sharonm

#25 Post by sharonm »

Sorry I have been away so long.My computer broke down and I had to save up for a new one.I'm trying to catch up with everything I have missed.Anyway,in August it will be a year since I have had these on.Let's see,I haven't had anything break and the speech trouble only really happens very rarely.No one has noticed that I have these things on.I still can't believe that it has almost been a year!!!Wow.My teeth are getting straighter.The only problem I am really having is staining.I can't get into the dentist for a cleaning until the 23rd so I will have to wait.I think these things just attract staining.I am always flossing and brushing so I don't know what else I can do.If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.Anyway,the treatment is going well and hopefully I can get these off soon!!!