All braced up!!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

davidpeden

All braced up!!

#1 Post by davidpeden »

Well I have offically started on my road to straighter teeth! After so so so many years of thinking, I know have my braces on at the age of 31. I had both upper no 4's extracted on the 2/2/06. Went better than I thought, a bit of a head ache but nothing bad. Then the big day arrived. 5/5/06. Couldn't stop thinking about what everyone would think, mainly my wife but also friends and family.

The fitting took 40 mins. I have had metal brackets top and bottom fitted. Really wanted clear uppers but Ortho said would take longer! So went with his experience and advice! The fitting went really well, until I first looked in the mirror :? my initial reaction was oh my god!! all that metal :? . But once I had spoke about cleaning and taking care of the braces I just wanted to get home and really check them out.

After lots of touching with my tongue and looking in the mirror, I found to my relief that the braces were actually hidden well behind my lips :P and when talking you couldn't see much metal at all. :D Massive relief. All my worries seemed to just go.

My wifes first reaction to them was how small they were and the fact my lips covered them. Loved it :P

First night went with no pain or discomfort. I have elastic bands going from upper teeth to lower molers on each side. After fitting these before bed and spending ages cleaning them I was ready for a good sleep. But woke up with most of my teeth so sore to the touch!! :( Gradually during the day just had slightly sore teeth. No pain from inside my mouth from rubbing. Not had to use wax YET.

The only main problem I have had is eating!!! Nightmare, half my meal is left for a midnight snack!!!!! I have a pallatel arch fitted so even more of a nightmare. But hope it becomes easier.

First day at work went so easy. Not one person noticed them without me showing them (apart from the lads that knew, who were being nosey) so again much better than I expected..

I am just so so happy I have finally done it. And how easy (so far) it has gone. So anyone with any doubts. Please just go for it.... :D
The long road to straight teeth!

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi davidpeden,

Congratulations on getting your braces. It sounds like placing the braces on your teeth went well. I'm sure your teeth will feel better soon which means that eating will be a bit easier.

It was good to hear that you like your metal braces. I will be getting braces next week and was initially thinking about clear brackets but was told the metal brackets work a bit faster and the metal brackets do seem small. How small are your brackets and are they all the same size? I still have time to make my decision. I currently have an expander and it took a couple weeks to adjust to it. Be sure to rinse with warm salt water daily, it really helps toughen up the mouth and tongue. Also be sure to use wax if you feel you need it. I initially didn't use wax when the expander was irritating my tongue, bad idea. Afyer I used the wax I felt so much better.

Good luck with your ortho treatment and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

davidpeden

#3 Post by davidpeden »

Thanks fpr everyones replies.

SSFW Did you go with the metal brackets? Hope everything going well. The lower brackets have started slighty rubbing on inner mouth, but not bad. Just using the warm water to rinse my mouth. Mainly it's due to the little hooks that stick off the bracket so I can attach my elastics. Started putting a little wax on them, works a treat. :) I will try and sort out some pics in the next few days. Then you can see how bad my upper teeth are, the wires look like a rollercoaster!!!

Thanks again for the encouragement from everyone
The long road to straight teeth!