Pregnant with Braces??

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vctorascrt

Pregnant with Braces??

#1 Post by vctorascrt »

Okay, I'm in a dilemma. I'm two months pregnant right now, due in January. I've been looking at getting braces for quite some time now (open bite and crossbite, mild crowding) and have gone to over 6 consultations. This was all before I found out I was pregnant with my third and final child. I'll be 30 in August. Right now, I have an appt. on July 18th to get spacers and apt. on July 25th to get braced, upper ceramic, metal bottoms. I was told 12-18m in braces, so the timeline isn't bad. But, I'm wondering if I would feel better waiting a few more years after the baby is here and trying this at that time? I'm really on the fence as to whether or not I should go ahead and keep the appt. and just get it over with, or wait a few years and not have to deal with pregnancy and braces at the same time. I really do have fairly easy pregnancys and am a stay at home mom, so the timing isn't horrible at this point. Has anyone else been in this predicament? Any words of advice would be appreciated! I'm probably just worrying too much!
Thanks! Vicki

bbdoll11

#2 Post by bbdoll11 »

I'm basically in the same boat you are. I found out I was pregnant shortly after my first consultation (which was back in April). I've been wearing a splint for TMJ issues since then to help my jaw pain before I get braced. I am due to have an appointment on July 19th and will hopefully get my spacers then.
My orthodontist left the decision up to me as to whether to proceed with treatment now (I'm currently 5 months pregnant) or after the pregnancy. He said as long as my gums were in good shape, I could proceed with treatment. in fact my ortho encouraged my treatment now (since he said he has had several patients that were pregnant while in braces). I think as long as you're feeling ok and your teeth/gums are in good shape you should go for it now. :D

Congratulations and good luck to you in your decision. :wink:

vctorascrt

#3 Post by vctorascrt »

Thank you both for your replies. That's interesting to hear about teeth moving during pregnancy, I hadn't heard that and would like to know more. I do know my gums are more susceptible to bleeding during pregnancy, so that may be a minor issue, but I'm not sure. It probably isn't as big of a deal as I think it will be, I would just like to hear from others that have experienced the same situation and what you have decided to do. I do wonder how it will affect my eating, since I really can't eat less and do need more daily calories. Hmmm, so many questions, so few answers???

TIA!
Vicki

claudia86

#4 Post by claudia86 »

i was actually talking to a co-worker about being pregnant with braces.
she told me that it can be a health hazard to have braces and be pregnant. kind of scary. :shock:
she had braces while she was pregnant but during her 2nd month she had them removed.
i think that she was just being extra cautious..
i would have never though that braces during a pregnancy would cause people to think twice about geting braces..
i see i have lots to learn about being braced :crazy:

good luck with everything! :)

juf_84

#5 Post by juf_84 »

Hi Vicki!

Congratulations!

There are a number of people on the site that are currently pregnant and in braces. You can do a search and the threads should come up.

I think the best thing would be to talk to your ortho. He or she should have the medical knowledge behind them to know what to look out for.

As for eating, it is true that your diet will be affected, especially in the first few weeks. I'm sure there are many good, healthy meals that can be whipped up in a food processor.

Best of luck with it all!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!