carbonated beverages?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

claudia86

carbonated beverages?

#1 Post by claudia86 »

i had a question..
why am i not allowed to drink any carbonated beverages while i have braces??
my ortho gave me a list and sure enough it said that i couldn't drink any carbonated beverages..
yup.. that means NO SODA!!
i understand dark colas because they stain teeth.. and who wants little squares on their teeth.. :? i know i don't.. lol
but do carbonated drinks affect braces in any way?
a lot of my friends that have had or have braces tell me i can drink soda, but i've been a good girl and i haven't drank soda :)
suprisingly, it's been a lot easier than i've thought.

Michal

#2 Post by Michal »

Never heard such a thing, but I bet it's because of the sugars. I drink carbonated beverages and haven't had any problems. But I drink diet sodas. My ortho never told me not to drink any carbonated beverages. Sorry I'm not much help.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

JaneBy

#3 Post by JaneBy »

My ortho has no problem as long as the soda is clear and diet (no sugar).

I asked both the ortho and hygenist about one diet cola type soda a day and both said I could continue my addiction.

Check with your ortho.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I like my gin and tonic. I prefer the diet tonic (regular is too sweet for me). If consumed in moderation, it shouldn't do any harm.

vegetara

#5 Post by vegetara »

soda contains phosphoric acid, which is pretty strong. (remember-it can melt away corrsion on a car battery) i wonder if that has something to do with it.. just guessing, not sure.
30 years old
Spacers-July 10, 2006
Top Braces-July 18, 2006 (ceramic)
Bottoms--? (metal)
1st Adjustment-Sept. 6, 2006

cassie

#6 Post by cassie »

my doc said the same thing, and that it's due to the acid created by carbonation, the same as in acid rain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonation)...he said it wears on the brackets and adhesive. i don't drink soda, but i like mineral water, so it stinks to have to limit that. and then there's beer! shoot, i'm not giving up the occasional beer! i think you're fine if you don't drink carbonated drinks all the time. if you do, brushing or rinsing afterward may help.