New to the board .. 24yo

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gas Panic!

New to the board .. 24yo

#1 Post by Gas Panic! »

Hi all,

Have been reading this board for a while now, and have found it to be a very worthwhile read with plenty of good advice with a positive feel.

A bit of background .. I'm a 24yo male from Sydney, Australia. Have had some concerns about my bite for probably two years now. Eventually went back to my original dentist from when I was a teenager (rather than the other one I had started going to along the way) who straight away said I had a problem and needed to go to the orthodontist.

So off I went to see him .. he said two years in braces and jaw surgery to correct the underbite. I freaked out and didn't go back to him or answer his calls while I tried to sort out what I was going to do.

In the end, I was recommended another orthodontist by a friend of my girlfriend (who had recently had treatment) so I made an appointment with him. He was much more friendly and willing to discuss things openly. In a nutshell, he basically said that if I didn't have treatment, it wouldn't kill me, but there would be great benefit if I did. Basically the decision was up to me.

So in the end .. I made the decision to do it. He said that 12 months should be the worst case scenario, and that he had recently had a guy with a similar problem out of braces in 8 or 9 months. So fingers crossed. Either way, 12 months is much better than 24 months and surgery.

Today was my first appointment .. he put spacers in and the braces on. Wire will be put on next Tuesday 15th.

Obviously very nervous about the whole deal, it has stressed me out quite a bit for the last maybe 12 months, but I'm starting to realise what it will be like and that it won't be so bad. The braces are lot less intrusive than I thought they would be, might be different with the wire. I notice them more than I thought I would looking at them, but that is bound to be the case.

Hopefully 12 months will roll around quite quickly and my bite will be fixed.

Have taken a picture with my mobile phone but will keep it for myself for now - may post it later.

Thanks to all who have indirectly offered support and advice so far .. and look forward to reading this board throughout my treatment!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi gaspanic, and welcome.

There are a few Sydneysiders on the board, so you won't be lonely. I'm glad that you had another opinion that can address your situation without too much pain. I'm a mild underbite case, so am coming from a similar place to you.

Good luck and take care.

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi Gas Panic!,

Congratulations on beginning your orthodontic treatment. I'm glad you found an orthodontist that you feel comfortable with - I feel this makes such a big difference on a patients' attitude about ortho treatment (my orthodontist and his staff are so wonderful that I actually enjoy my appts.). I hope the time goes by quickly for you too. I have had my expander for about 6-1/2 months and my upper braces for about 2-1/2 months and I can't believe how time really does fly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

sharonm

#4 Post by sharonm »

Well done on deciding to get treatment.12 months will fly by.I hope everything goes well for you

toothfairy

#5 Post by toothfairy »

I'm sure you'll quickly discover that no member on this board has ever had any regret getting braces. :)

Like others have said, 12 months will fly by.
Last edited by toothfairy on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chopstix

#6 Post by Chopstix »

Good luck with everything!!

12 months is nada, ive got 30. Just got mine on today actually.

joney

#7 Post by joney »

Good luck Gas Panic.

I hope it goes well for you. I visited Sydney in 2000. What a great place.

Best wishes

Joney :D

Gas Panic!

#8 Post by Gas Panic! »

Thanks everyone for your messages of support!

Really is good to have a place like this - everyone has been so supportive of each other.

Both wires went on today, starting to feel a little sore which I am sure will get worse in the next few days. Haven't had any real dramas with the brackets rubbing, so thats good. The elastics are rather annoying but I guess they're also just as important as the rest.

I'm off overseas on holiday for two weeks on Monday, so plenty of time to keep my mind off my braces! Once I get back, three weeks will have passed and I'll hopefully be well on the way to the finish line.

Thanks again all.

Bell

#9 Post by Bell »

Hi Gas Panic,
Im pretty new to the board also, fortunately i have spoken to many helpful people onthis board whom are more than happy to answer any questions i have.

I havent yet got my braces, but not long now. Ive been recommended to get the damon3 system. I have some crowding to the front of my teeth, i tend to close my mouth when smiling in pics.

Ive always been told by my dentist that if i was to get braces i would have a wonderful smile.... so i got my wisdom teeth out as recommended by orthodonist and dentist and now im due to take hte plunge and get braces.
im pretty excited about it to tell you the truth, not only do i get braces and will prob loose a few kilos around the waist as well (although im not that big anyhow) :lol: cos i won't eat the usual snacks and meals that im used to. :)

Good luck with your braces and the journey, keep me updated on how you go and maybe show some pics as well.

all the best!!

-Bell-
~Damon 3 Braces top and bottom~
~Braced on 11th September 2006~

Gas Panic!

#10 Post by Gas Panic! »

Hello all .. not sure if anyone is interested in an update, but I am fast approaching the 3 month mark.

I have to say all of your help and advice on this forum has been excellent.

I have not had any real trouble with pain or soreness at all, even after the first two adjustments. A little pain from specific teeth but nothing I couldn't handle.

Things seem to be going well - after thinking about it constantly in the first few months, I've stopped stressing about where my teeth are sitting and how they're lining up. Amazingly, they seemed to be touching each other (the front teeth that is) then before I knew it I can feel one of them sitting in front of the bottoms. So definitely some movement there - hopefully it will be all good news when my third adjustment comes around.

No negative comments or funny looks, although I am sometimes a little bit embarrassed. Either way, every day they're on is another day closer to the end, and I am more than happy that I made this decision, knowing that I will be very pleased with the results im sure.

Lets keep up the support for each other!