I'm finally braced!!!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jbnorah

I'm finally braced!!!

#1 Post by jbnorah »

I got my braces on last Saturday and that evening, one of the brackets popped off my tooth. They took the bracket off the archwire and put in a bumper spacer. Then that evening, another bracket popped off my bottom front tooth.

I was the office guiney pig as they were trying new brackets that are self-ligating (darn it, no colored rubber bands!). They also were trying out a new 2-in-1 adhesive, hence the problems with the brackets staying on my teeth.

Even though I swished with warm salt water a few weeks before the braces were put on, I'm still struggling with pain on the inside of my cheeks and my tongue. I can't wait until it toughens up enough to eat without pain. I'm not really noticing any tightening.

Also, when they put my spacers on, the ortho said she was going to leave my bottom front teeth alone because of the overbite. Well, while in that torture contraption called the lip spreader, I noticed that they were putting on the stuff on my front bottom teeth. I'm like "hello!?!", but to no avail. Luckily, it worked out that there was enough space for me to bite down and not hit the lower brackets.

This is still confusing to me as to how all of this is going to fix my overbite. The tech said something about it moving my lower jaw out. Also, my teeth are even tighter together now with the braces on that I can't even get floss between them on the lower sides of my mouth. I'm using the Water Pik, but until these braces create space, I'm not going to worry about flossing the lower sides. I literally shred the floss and then it snaps in half when I try to put it between my teeth.

I feel so awkward. I have to answer phones during part of the day, and I struggle with pronouncing words beginning with the letter 's'. I also feel like I'm eating the insides of my cheeks when I try to eat. I hope this is just temporary.

Having said all that, I'm still glad I went through with this. I can't wait until my teeth are straight and easy to take care of (flossing wise). My wish is to die with my own teeth!!! ;)

-Norah

lala

#2 Post by lala »

hi norah! i got braced one week ago. i've been taking KK's advice about the salt water rinses. they sure do help.
i was at the bank the other day and i asked the teller " may i have an envelope pppleeease?" i sounded like a cross between elmer fudd and roger rabbit.
:crazy:

can't wait to hear more about your journey.

lala

jbnorah

#3 Post by jbnorah »

Hi LaLa and KK!

I am going to take your advice about the tape floss. I agree it's important to floss regularly (before braces, I flossed every night, that's why this is so frustrating). I'm also going to use the orthosil more often. the dental tech told me not to use it very much as I would be "babying" my mouth. Forget that! I'm going to use it as much as I feel I need to. I didn't realize that the rubberbands helped, and since I wasn't given the type of braces that use them, I'm sure the inside of my mouth is suffering more.

I'm looking forward to my first 'post-brace' appointment on Sept. 23rd. I will definitely post any changes I notice. I am a little concerned about their nonchalance about brackets popping off my teeth as logically, how can the bracets work unless they're attached to my teeth?!? :) Oh well, right now it has only happened to two teeth, so I'm sure it's okay.

Talk with you soon!

-Norah

Bridget

#4 Post by Bridget »

Hi Norah!

Congrats on your decision to get braces!!!! And I wish you lots of luck and quick progress!!!

No worries about the pronounciation! I had the same issue and it really got better in no time (I think it took about a week or so). My best friend told me that it was not even noticable over the phone, only while talking face to face - to me it sounded like a heavy lisp!! And I thought everone would notice it in an instant....but it does get better!!!

I am looking forward to reading about your progress!!!

All the best

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

jbnorah

#5 Post by jbnorah »

Thank you, Bridget!!!

I took yesterday off because my tongue was swollen and I couldn't talk very much (my whole job revolves around answering college admission questions).

I was able to floss all of my teeth for the first time last night. I was so excited!!! Woo Hoo, I feel almost normal. :)

-Norah

cmm1280

#6 Post by cmm1280 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on this site. I am getting my braces on Oct 20th. I'm looking for as much advise as possible to prepare for the mouth torture. I've noticed a lot of people have recommended the "salt water rinse". Does this really work for BEFORE the braces go on? Or is it mainly for doing once they are on to help aid in healing?

Thanks!
Carla

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Welcome cmm1280. Congrats on getting braced on the 20th of October, first off yes Warm Saltwater helps in healing process. so when someone says to do that, be sure to do it!

SDFD TSchott

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

KK wrote:

He suggested I start salt water rinses after my consult with him, which was over a month from by b-day as I had dental and hygienist appointment to schedule. Prior to braces I often used to get mouth sores, but since rinsing with salt water I've not had one for over 13 months ... so I'm planning to keep this rinsing up after braces are gone, as it's also good for your throat!

These rinses are easy, fast to organise and inexpensive!
Easy fast to organize and inexpensive, you are all right there, at the most it should only cost you about 3 bucks at the local store for a box or bag of salt, another thing that I was told is that you can purchase something called Sea Salt, its alot stronger then regular salt so give it a try or something.

Also my ortho did the same thing and suggested that I start salt water rinses after my consoltation appt which was 1 month ago.

SDFD TSchott

lillie32

Flossing

#9 Post by lillie32 »

I can totally understand your issue with flossing. There's some places it just can't go at all in my mouth as well! I have a slight cross bite in my back teeth, and can't get the needle to go through. I'm sure it's also because of the tightness, can't I never had trouble flossing before. Just do the best you can. I just clean where I can. I brush well, like 4 top 5 times a day at least, and hopefully that's enough to keep decay away!

jbnorah

#10 Post by jbnorah »

I found a product that has helped tremendously with flossing. It's from Crest and they are individual packets of floss that have the threader on the floss. It doesn't shred and you don't need to loop it through a separate threader.

I found that it really works well. I can't remember the full name of the product, but I will write it down tonight and give the info tomorrow. I am totally pleased with it.

-Nora

jbnorah

#11 Post by jbnorah »

Thanks with your help on remembering what type of floss it was. I love using it and it makes my mouth feel so good. I got mine at Vons, so I'm sure it can be gotten just about anywhere.

-Norah