Newbie at 40!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

erik

Newbie at 40!

#1 Post by erik »

Hello everyone,

I was not going to register, even though I have been lurking and reading all the great information on this site for a month now. I felt bad that I have benefited from all the posts, yet would not acknowledge it by registering!

So, I registered and here is a little about me...

I am a dad with two (of three) kids in braces. Since we are making frequent ortho trips, it is natural to inquire about your own teeth. Well, my wife was all for me fixing my teeth and made an appointement for me to have a consultation. We have actually talked about it off and on for ten years, but I was too chicken to do anything about it. Well, the consultation was two weeks ago and today I am now a full member of the braces club! They were installed this morning, so I am going on six hours...

It is pretty funny, a dad and his two kids in braces. Fortunately, my teeth are not as bad as my kids and my ortho said 9 months should do it! I have "limited" braces, which is basically 6 on the top and 6 on the bottom plus brackets (no bands). That is both good for me in amount of time in braces, but is also quite a bit cheaper than the full braces for my kids...

I went the ceramic route (top and bottom, though brackets are silver), with the tooth colored (white) ligatures. After reading about the staining problems (on archwired of course), decided to not bother with clear ones.

I have not had to "explain" the braces to anyone yet, but I can use the "midlife crisis" excuse. Should be interesting...

Anyway, thanks to all of you active posters! You have helped ease my fears of being an adult with braces and I am grateful!

Erik

chicklets

#2 Post by chicklets »

Hi Erik and welcome. I think it's great you are in braces with 2 of your kids. I'm just starting my process (have a palate expander), but my son is 2 years into his course. I'm kind of looking forward to being braced along with him. It won't be long before my daughter is in there as well, so that will be fun. My husband is out of the club -- he has perfectly straight teeth and not even a filling. :roll:

Beckvan

hey there

#3 Post by Beckvan »

So w/all the ortho work your family is doing do you get a group rate?? :D Dad you are sooo setting a great example for your children!!
You guys need to do a Christmas Card featuring the METAL MOUTH family or something that would be way cute.
Hang in there!
Becky

Oh I forgot I'm right across the river so WAVE HI!!!

erik

#4 Post by erik »

Yes, I did get a family discount! It was enough to pay for the difference in cost from metal to ceramic. Every little bit helps! We are also going to start coordinating adjustments, so we will all come home sore and eat soft food together!

Not sure if we will do the christmas card picture... But, I was joking with my wife that the kids and I should get a picture together with our braces. She thought it was a great idea. Then, when we are all done, another one showing the results. We will see...

I joked in another thread that the next thing would be for us to coordinate ligature colors! Not sure if I am ready for that, maybe on the bottom...

As for setting an example, well my daughter is a little miffed at me. She is done brushing in a minute and does not floss. She tried to lecture me that she is doing what she was taught! Well, I am in there for 15-20 minutes (still getting the hang of it) and I floss. I even picked up the self threading floss for both of us. So, she has no excuses anymore! She can't use the typical teenager line "you just don't understand"!!

Another interesting thing is that my son hardly complained when he was braced, nor when he got adjustments. When we were talking after I got mine, all of a sudden he poured out how much they hurt and all the little issues he has had (and still has).

The whole experience has been very positive so far. Though I could do without the aching teeth (day three and still hurting)...

Beckvan, you are in Washington? Cool, I am in the south east Portland area (waving)!

Erik

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

Congrats on taking the plunge. I got braced when I started looking for an ortho for my eight year old. Now I have them and we're waiting about a year in hopes he gets better at taking care of his teeth.

Before you beat yourself up over your age.... I'm 48.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

M1k3y

#6 Post by M1k3y »

It's never too late to get that smile you've always wanted. Way to go.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

erik

#7 Post by erik »

I haven't beat myself up about the age, other than regreting not doing it any sooner. I think if I did it in my early twenties I would not have thought much about it. Of course, there was no way I (or my parents) could afford it then.

However, you mentioning age made me think... If we run into someone, say more mature like us, with braces, should we give them a high five? Goes something like this...

"Hey, you have braces too? Right on..." (putting hand up for the high five)

Or, are we all to self conscious and want to avoid the recognition...

Erik

erik

#8 Post by erik »

Just noticed that I can have a signature now!!!

This is too funny, I feel like a kid...

I thought the train tracks were appropriate. :wink:

Erik