Just got braces...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maddy

Just got braces...

#1 Post by Maddy »

I'm 36 and just got braces. Eek!

So I had braces as a teenager - more than twenty years ago now - and when they came off my teeth looked great. But by the time I was twenty my front teeth were noticeably crooked. I went back to the orthodontist, who said it was just a vanity thing and unimportant, and also that my wisdom teeth couldn't possibly have caused it. Later, I read that during the 80s there was controversy about whether or not wisdom teeth could shift the position of teeth, and that in the 90s everyone agreed that they could - and then later, some of my students showed me how they still had simply wires (no brackets) on the back of their front teeth to stop "drift" after braces.

Anyway, for ages I decided the crooked teeth weren't a problem. Not really. Although when I lean in to kiss my daughter I keep bumping my teeth against her forehead (sigh) and when she was three or four her friends kept asking, innocently curious, why my teeth were so crooked (I guess they got a great view from below).

I watched an episode of Extreme Makeover where crooked front teeth were fixed by having them removed!!! And fake ones put in intsead!! That didn't seem like a very smart option, so I decided to just live with my crooked teeth.

But then I kept worrying that they were getting MORE crooked. So when I switched dentists, I asked for a referral to an orthodontist. Half a year later - just over a week ago - I visited him for the first time and I really liked him. About my age, radically up-to-date equiptment (at least compared to last time I went to the orthodontist!) and he just seemed really trustworthy. And - the clincher - he promised it will only take six-seven months to fix my crooked teeth! That means I'll have straight teeth for my wedding next June!!

So last Friday I had braces put on, and later that night, when I was wishing I could rip the damned things off (ha!) I found this site. And I realise that so many of you are doing far more courageous things than me! Six-seven months of braces on my top teeth only is nothing!

And look, my smile doesn't even look too bad - though this photo doesn't show how far OUT that crooked tooth goes.

Mind you - my teeth ache, my upper lip is very stiff indeed because pulling it against the braces is uncomfortable, and I absolutely HATE that everyone can see my braces. Oh well. Half a year and children will never again ask me why my teeth are crooked.

I'm glad I found you guys!

Beckvan

YOU ROCK!!

#2 Post by Beckvan »

Your picture just gives me SUCH inspiration!! I am soooo proud of you!! This is going to be THE best thing in the world-WOW.
You are doing great-hang in there it will all be worth it!!!
I get mine on today @ 5 PCT

joney

#3 Post by joney »

Hi Maddy

Good for you getting a brace. 7 months will fly, you are lucky. You're brace is not so noticable.

I visited Stavanger in 2004 and stayed with friends, great place, Norway is a beautiful country.

Great that you'll have your teeth fixed in time for your wedding.

Regards
Joney

Sweet L

#4 Post by Sweet L »

Only seven months? :shock: WOW, you're lucky!!! :thumbsup:
Congratulations for starting the journey! :banana:

Wired1

#5 Post by Wired1 »

Wow Maddy -- those look so incredibly awesome! I don't know why you would be ashamed to let anyone see those braces. And you are doing such a tremendous service to your daughter and her friends, showing them how much you value taking care of your health the right way. BTW, it is not against the law to take Tylenol or Motrin to help with discomfort!!

Please keep posting pictures -- it would be neat to see your fast tracked progress! I for one, am very jealous since I have over a year more to go :lol:

Welcome!!

Maddy

#6 Post by Maddy »

Thanks everyone! And yes, I know 6-7 months really isn't that long. And I've already done a week! I'll definitely keep posting photos - just looking at other people's photos is so motivating that I'm sure posting my own will feel great too.

I'm so glad to have found you guys - you're all so supportive!!!

And I might do the tylenol thing. I don't remember this much pain from when I was a teenager with braces - did I just forget do you think or does it actually hurt more when you're an adult? It's strange how different teeth hurt from day to day, too. Today I was actually worried my front molar would fall out it felt so weird - but that's really not likely at all, right? I comforted myself that it was held well in place by the braces ;)