Losing weight with braces ???

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MarvinBrace

Losing weight with braces ???

#1 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi there,
I want to know if there is anybody that lost weight with getting braces, especially because you have to take it easier with the food and sometimes drinks. :roll:
I hope I get some members stories about weight loss/gain.
I'm 6'1" and weigh almost 140 lbs, i hope when i get my braces (dec 18th) and i have been told that i have them for about 24 months so if i can loose 1kg (2 lbs) per month that will be great. At the end I will be about 190 lbs. :lol:

* SEE metal mouth forum: I have this subject there too.

SmileOnTheRocks

#2 Post by SmileOnTheRocks »

Hey Marvin! It may be true that people lose weight in the time that they have braces - this is usually because you are more conscious about the foods you are eating and how you are eating them. At first, people tend to stick to soft foods (smoothies, yoghurt etc) as the teeth are quite tender and awkward feeling so chewing is a little too painful, however after a week or two, things should be fairly back to normal. It's not unreasonable to expect to lose some weight but it's absolutely essential that you do so in a healthy manner. It's still important to consume sufficient amounts of fibre and protein, as well as other important minerals (calcium, more than ever!).

Although I've only had braces for a short time, I've completely changed my diet. I've stopped eating lollies, chocolate, coke and KFC - as I'm terrified of doing damage to my teeth (it'd be awful to be spending all this money on my teeth and have to get fillings at the end of it!). Since I've forced myself to do this, I've also been going to the gym four times a week. It's weird but the pain in my biceps actually takes away from the pain in my teeth!

So finally, having braces is a good time to start a new healthy life-style, but for the sake of your health, please do everything in moderation! Best of luck with your new smile!! :D

MarvinBrace

#3 Post by MarvinBrace »

THANKS SmileOnTheRocks,

I hope everything is OK with you. :wink:
I know when I get braces my diet will change alot too, coz i like to drink coke/pepsi, but with braces better not. :biglaf:

Going to gym sounds a good idea (muscle pain vs teeth pain). :thumbsup:

vivi21

#4 Post by vivi21 »

good luck :banana:

guinyc22

Braces/Weight

#5 Post by guinyc22 »

Hey guys,

I will be getting the Ice braces on top and bottom on the 15th of December. I started a gym routine and "eating proper" just so when braces come along it will be easier for me. I told myself Im going to become a hermit while I have braces and spend most of the time at the gym, when im not at work. Lol.

TTY guys later!

jzaboo

#6 Post by jzaboo »

I was counting on losing a few pounds, and initially I did because it was so much hassle to floss and brush after eating each time. Then I got a Waterpik and so I didn't concern myself with what I ate. I've had braces since June and didn't loose a pound until I went on the Medifast diet and have lost 18 pounds this month. So everyone is right, braces isn't much of a weight loss plan unless perhaps some people who really can't take it. I've never been in pain with them myself. Perhaps if I was, it would be different.