Hey everyone, new Aussie on the board!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katharine

Hey everyone, new Aussie on the board!

#1 Post by Katharine »

Hey everyone, I'm new so just thought I'd come introduce myself. I'm Katharine, I'm 19, from Australia and getting braces for the first time on Monday. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Although I know it will all be worth it in a couple of years I'm so worried about how having the braces on will affect my self-esteem. When I found out I was going to have to get braces a couple of months back I got in my car and cried all the way home. And when I got home, I continued to cry!!

The main reason I'm scared is that there aren't that many people my age with braces, I don't know any other 19 year olds with them. So many of my friends have had them but that was 5 years ago. I just wish I had gotten them at the same time as everybody else my age! I'm worried that guys won't find me attractive and that the braces will make me look a lot younger than I actually am.

I'm getting ceramics and only on the top to begin with. Four or five months down the track, the bottoms will go on. I got my spacers in a couple of days ago and at first I couldn't feel them and I thought this is easy, I don't know what other people are complaining about! But the next day the head and tooth aches really set in...can't wait to get them out! And it's so hard to eat! I can't even manage a sandwich at the moment, my teeth are just that sensitive! I've pretty much lived on yoghurt the past couple of days!

Hope to talk to you all soon!

Brace Face

#2 Post by Brace Face »

Hi Katherine,

I can understand how you may be concerned about your self-esteem and as KK mentioned, if a guy can't see pass the braces then it's their loss really ah?? It will confirm to you what a shallow person they really are! I'm a few years older than you and am single and have wondered this myself. But at the end of the day, if a person really wants to get to know you and be with you, it's the inside that counts in the end and not a few bits of metal! :D

You will find lots of support and information here!

Tracy :D

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Hi Katharine, welcome. Sorry to hear you're suffering with spacers; I thank the heavens on a regular basis that I was spared these.

The only adults in braces I encounter are at the ortho's office and even then, we're a rare breed - there are more kids in the waiting room than anyone else.

Others have said what needs to be said about self esteem and dating.

overseasmel

#4 Post by overseasmel »

Hey there,

I'm another Australian on the board. I'm 27 and was just braced this Monday (20th).

I do agree that some of the same thoughts have crossed my mind. I was with someone when I entered into all of this (expander, surgery, and now finally braces nearly 12 months since the first appointment), and it was pretty reassuring to not be worrying about impressing anyone as funky things started happening to my teeth and appearance. With the expander things get worse before better, which is a different story to braces.

But anyway, I broke up with said guy a couple of months before I got my braces on, and I did wonder how this was all going to go being single, 27, and braced. But honestly apart from the adjustment to the physical side of things they just make you feel better . It's a pretty cool thing to know your teeth are getting closer and closer to perfect every week, and the confidence in knowing that can make you pretty sexy ;) . And hey, you'll be 21 with a killer smile- don't worry about the boys!

missy bigsmiles

#5 Post by missy bigsmiles »

Hi Katharine,

I'm worried that guys won't find me attractive and that the braces will make me look a lot younger than I actually am.
Just to reiterate what the others have been saying about self easteem and braces....I'm 36, met my husband with my malocclusion, class3, and have been pregnant and had my baby girl only just 4 months ago whilst in braces and am due jaw surgery soon...every day is a day closer to a great smile and better bite...congrats on getting the braces in the first place, and so soon, and so young....

Missy :lol:

jodie

#6 Post by jodie »

Hey another aussie here too. I am 28 and have always needed braces but been a little scared. I found a nice dentist and he has helped me heaps. I got my spaces put in last night and braces on the 15/12. I cant wait for the braces cause these spaces are killing me...... Good luck with everything Jodie

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Hi Jodie, (sorry to crash your thread, Katharine) - and welcome to another Sydneysider. There are a few of us around these parts! Which side of the Harbour are you on?

Great that you're comfortable around your dentist, this is so important.