Braces at age 57!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldmuse

Braces at age 57!

#1 Post by oldmuse »

This Web site is marvelous, and I've recommended it to my orthodontist! Thanks!

I'm three weeks into braces, and found the advice, comments, and suggestions very helpful as I've never had braces before. Today, for instance, I went searching for comments on loose teeth and crowns, because I've got one that's bugging me a lot today. Makes me feel better to know that's normal.

I chose braces over an implant or bridge to replace my lower front tooth which was extracted this summer, because the doc could only give me 'fair' odds that an implant would work (yikes! $5000 of non-insured 'fair'?) and a bridge would essentially destroy two good teeth. So we're straightening a couple of slightly crooked teeth and filling the gap.

So....anyone else as old as me and in braces? My husband says I look like I'm 12. *I* say yeah, with wrinkles and graying hair!

Looking forward to reading more about each of you.

Beth
oldmuse

heyangieh

#2 Post by heyangieh »

Welcome to the board!

~Angie

joplin

#3 Post by joplin »

Welcome, oldmuse, nice to have you with us :)
My mom is 58 and thinking of getting braced. She'll be encouraged when I let her know what your hubby told you :D
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Dodger(UK)

#4 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Welcome oldmuse - you are never too old to get braced! :wink: aslong as there's a need to have better functioning and straighter teeth, then age is no barrier. :)

#5 Post by Guest »

Hi Oldmuse and welcome. Not 57, but close behind you at 51. You can do it! I have had mine on for 3 weeks now. I am pretty used to them now. But I don't know how I will feel Jan 10th after my first adjustment and the rest of the braces go on.... :D And wrinkles? Are you kidding, we don't want to admit to that while we're in braces :yikes:

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I'm 48 years young and a first timer. Welcome to the club! :-1
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Bluerain

#7 Post by Bluerain »

Hi There

In-ovations and might be wearing them 3 years!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Debra
Last edited by Bluerain on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josephine

#8 Post by josephine »

Not too far behind at 53 -- good luck with your treatment and stay tuned in here on the board!

baseballpavoice

Never too old for braces !!!!

#9 Post by baseballpavoice »

Welcome to the club....I'm 55 and will have my 1-year anniversary in braces this Friday. It hasn't been bad at all. As I told my ortho, while I've got less than 6-months to go, I could go another year or whatever it takes to get the job done. Best of luck with your treatment...!!!!! PS bythe way...I'm a grey-haired guy and my wife helped talk me into braces!!! :lol:

Nanski

Do I hear 60?

#10 Post by Nanski »

Yup, my Godmother just turned 60....has 5 grandchildren. She looks 10 year younger already.
TMJ Splints 2/1/05
Braces - "NOT" (-: - Doc addressed jaw issue w/out the need for braces at the moment!!! "Damn fine with me, I'd rather buy a new bay window for my house."

oldmuse

Second adjustment coming up

#11 Post by oldmuse »

Good to hear from all you 50s and upper 40s crowd!
I get my second adjustment next week, and am doing well with everything -- probably too well, since I'd hoped that I'd lose 5 or so pounds, and certainly have not!

I've eaten everything -- nuts, chips, steak, sandwiches, even popcorn! -- with no problems -- just rinse well or brush afterwards. Can't bite down into something very well, so I sorta hack at it with the side or use a fork, but it's much less of a hassle than I'd anticipated.

One thing I've found is that my mouth gets tired if I talk too much (like I did at Christmas with all our kids), and there is definitely a difference in how some stuff tastes. All in all, I'm really glad I'm doing it.

I'll keep you posted. You keep me posted, too!

Beth
oldmuse