MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmBraceAble

MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

#1 Post by EmBraceAble »

Hello, All:

Just to give a little history, I am 39 and finally at a point financially where I can afford braces! My question is, can anyone give me an idea of what the down payment will be? The Ortho says I will need braces for at least 2 years and it will range from $5000 to $5500 dollars. He says that they will do a down payment and then monthly payments. I had been a thumb sucker from childhood up to my late 20s, so you can imagine my overbite. The last step I have had done is the x-rays and the cast of my teeth and my on my next appt., will discuss his treatment plan. My next appt. is not until 8/28. I know he will eventually discuss this with me, but I really need to know now. Unfortunately, I can't get any financial info. until he talks to me about treatment. I live in the southeast USA, so if anyone cares to give a guess, I would appreciate it.

Also, I have had 4 teeth pulled in my lifetime and do not want to lose any more teeth. Over the last couple of years, I have become a floss and brush maniac and have taken really good care of my teeth-even my wisdom teeth. I still have all 4 wisdom teeth and they all came in straight with no problems. My dentist says I need them to chew since I had the tooth before them on each side pulled. He says it's good I still have them for eating but they may be a Catch 22 when I get braces because "for every action there is a reaction, and by pulling on my straight wisdom teeth to straighten the rest of my teeth, it may actually cause my wisdom teeth to shift." This kind of scares me. My Ortho said on my first consultation that they would not have to be pulled - for now- but who knows what he will say after x-rays, etc.? I'm sure you guys can't play dentist and give me professional advice, but this is so new to me, I just want someone who has been through it to give me info about their experience.

Thanks.

Kimkell

cost of braces

#2 Post by Kimkell »

I'm getting my braces put on tomorrow so I can't help with "experiences" yet but I can tell you what mine are going to cost. I'm doing Damon on my lowers & invisalign on the top. My total is $6,390. Thank goodness my insurance covers $1500 of it so it helps a little bit. I have to put $1,490 down & then do 20 payments of $170.

I did have a consultation at another ortho first but they only do the old school braces & I wasn't happy with the office or doctor. Their price was $3000. It's going to be a stretch to pay for them monthly but I figure that keeping my teeth in my mouth is priceless & if I didn't get them I was going to continue to grind all my enamel off.

Good luck with your journey to a beautiful smile!!

PiscesFish1969

#3 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

Hi, I'm also 39 & getting braces on Wednesday. :D I'm getting Damons. I'm also in the southeast US, so hopefully this will help you. My cost is $5600.00, and I'm to pay $1625.00 down & the rest is divided up over 18 months. This cost doesn't include the $250.00 I've already paid for X-rays and impressions, or the co-pay I paid for 2 extractions with nitrous ($148.00). My insurance will cover $1500.00, so that helps.
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

EmBraceAble

#4 Post by EmBraceAble »

Thanks, everyone. My appt. is not until 8/28. Would it be in bad taste for me to call now to at least get a heads up so I'll know if I can even afford it? We have a Blue Cross subsidiary in my city so basically everyone and their grandmas are covered with Blue Cross and they do not have orthodontia coverage for adults (anyone over 19), so everything I am paying is out of pocket, including the $165 I just paid for x-rays. I'm just scared they are going to ask for more up front than I have saved ($2000), and I might just walk out of the office crying!! LOL!

lueyfufu

#5 Post by lueyfufu »

My braces will cost $4800 total. Mine required an initial payment of $600, and then $175 per month throughout the rest of my treatment. Insurance will cover some of it, even though I'm an adult.

Maybe you can work out a payment plan with your ortho? Seems like they should've told you at your consultation how much your first payment would be. I think it would be okay to ask.
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

acd

#6 Post by acd »

My ortho gave me three payment options:

1. Pay entire amount upfront and get a 5% discount
2. $850 down payment and then $155 for 22 months with 0% interest
3. 0 down and finance through a finace company but pay an interest charge

I went with option 2 and ended up paying them off about 4 months early. I'm sure with $2000 down your ortho will be able to work something out for you. Good luck with your treatment.

EmBraceAble

#7 Post by EmBraceAble »

Great news! I called and spoke with the Receptionist and she said they usually do 10% up front and payment at each visit!! So if my total bill is between $5000 and $5500, I can definitely handle that! Thanks everyone for the information!

lueyfufu

#8 Post by lueyfufu »

Awesome! :)
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

Buck Strong

#9 Post by Buck Strong »

I lucked out with mine. My insurance covers all of the cost except $845. I just couldn't say no to that.

LongInTheT

#10 Post by LongInTheT »

Really glad you were able to sort this out and get monthly payments, EmBraceAble.

Having just come back from a holiday in the US I realise how different things are from here in the UK. With the National Health Service for medical care I never thought about insurance so there was no choice but to pay for orthodontics. I'm paying £2600 for everything by monthly payments with 15%down payment, and this seems comparable with other people here.

EmBraceAble

#11 Post by EmBraceAble »

Thanks, LongInTheT:

I am in my late 30's and in talking to several of my working friends, NONE of them had orthodontia coverage. Their insurance only covered children up to 19 years of age. I honestly believe that that has alot to do with why many adults do not pursue orthodontia-they can't afford the downpayment. Also, several Orthos in my area only allow patients to finance the full amount from an outside source-no downpayments or monthly payment option. People are losing their homes, so I seriously doubt that they have the desire or credit rating to get personal financing.

jpiper001

#12 Post by jpiper001 »

all your stories make me grateful for what little dental insurance i have (which i have been complain about for years!) i put $50 down and my insurance covered about $700. mine are $3000 total, but i made a deal with the office manager that if i pay it off by the end of jan. she'll give me 10% off the original(preinsurance) price. so about $2000 comes out of my pocket. hell, it cost me that much for a root canal and my wisdom teeth!

Katarina527

Payment

#13 Post by Katarina527 »

Hi Embraceable, just an idea on payment...I used one of the three options my ortho gave me called Carecredit. It is for medical things, and if your ortho accepts it, it is great! Mine cost 3100, total for all, ceramics on top, regular brackets on bottom. There is very little interest, and you can use it for all kinds of medical things! just go to their website, and you can apply using your ortho's name. Hope this helps! :P

EmBraceAble

Re: Payment

#14 Post by EmBraceAble »

Katarina527 wrote:Hi Embraceable, just an idea on payment...I used one of the three options my ortho gave me called Carecredit. It is for medical things, and if your ortho accepts it, it is great! Mine cost 3100, total for all, ceramics on top, regular brackets on bottom. There is very little interest, and you can use it for all kinds of medical things! just go to their website, and you can apply using your ortho's name. Hope this helps! :P
Thanks, Katarina527! I will check that out!