The second day in braces.... at 47!!!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AmyJS

The second day in braces.... at 47!!!

#1 Post by AmyJS »

I feel like it is such an advantage, going through this as an adult.

I can't imagine the self-consciousness I would have felt as a young teenager -- as a 47 year old mom I could care less if someone notices my braces. And I've already noticed that people don't quite know what to say... "wow, they look great" isn't really appropriate, and "wow, they are not so bad" isn't appropriate. So I will forgive almost any comment knowing this.

I have a little bit of dull pain, and a little bit of nausea due to the ibuprofen (and little food in my stomach). But I think I will switch to tylenol and see how that works (per suggestion of one poster here).

So far, no need for wax! I only have the top ones in right now, which are clear, so perhaps it won't be until I have a full set in that I need the wax. The bottom ones are going to be metal, that could make a difference.

I see this as mainly an investment in my old age. I have crooked teeth, but I still look pretty good. As I age, which I have no fear about, I'll look older, but I'll have a fabulous smile. THAT is making this 2-year journey worth it.

Amy

JenInBraces

#2 Post by JenInBraces »

It's great to hear you so enthusiastic about your braces, congratulations! I totally agree that having a beautiful smile is a really good investment. Good luck on your journey!

Biz

#3 Post by Biz »

Hi,

Well done to you.......... I am 54 and in braces for the very first time - clear on top and metal on bottom teeth. I seem to be managing ok and as yet not much pain other than discomfort - first adjustment in a weeks time!

Most of my friends did not even notice I had them put on - does that mean they never look at my face !!!!

Looking forward to straight teeth for the first time in my life and 12-18 months is a small price to pay......... and then I can smile, smile smile

Hope all goes well for you........

Donna

#4 Post by Donna »

Welcome Amy! There are a lot of us 'old' folk here :D, so you're in good company.

I have to say, I wish I had braces when I was a teenager because so many other teens I knew had them, so I don't think I would have 'stuck out' so much...compared to having them on now, at age 42. Plus I would have had many more years to enjoy a beautiful smile. Nevertheless, I am so happy I am doing it now, and can't wait for the final result.

Good luck with your journey!