Ouch; eating after install!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

silverlightstar

Ouch; eating after install!

#1 Post by silverlightstar »

Today is Day 2 and I'm having trouble eating.

Everything. Hurts. :cry:

I even went easy and ordered grilled fish (By the way, it was quite delicious, even though I was having trouble chewing.), chowder and fries. I could barely eat the fries, but I was able to swallow the fish and chowder.

Please tell me it gets easier!

drgnchsr36

Re: Ouch; eating after install!

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

It does get easier!! But, I think it comes and goes. I still eat soups, but I've also enjoyed cheeseburgers, fries, and some other food (one that's on the no no list.. but I can't help myself..and my brackets haven't popped off yet).

Take it easy though until you feel comfortable..

silverlightstar

#3 Post by silverlightstar »

[quote="drgnchsr36"]It does get easier!! But, I think it comes and goes. I still eat soups, but I've also enjoyed cheeseburgers, fries, and some other food (one that's on the no no list.. but I can't help myself..and my brackets haven't popped off yet).

Take it easy though until you feel comfortable..[/quote]

I'm trying to take it easy (Normally, I ignore advice on that thing, but this is still new to me.); this evening, I had fried rice and some steamed rice. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad, but it still hurt.

Out of everything that I ate today, I was most comfortable eating the clam chowder.

Adriae

#4 Post by Adriae »

I'm on day three of having braces put on bottom and top and I find myself skipping meals. I just don't want to deal with the pain of trying to chew and the cleaning part afterward. If I do have to eat then I do soup and I tried a grilled cheese but the cheese kept getting stuck on the brackets so I didn't finish it. I'm really hoping it gets better cause it's been difficult so far. I've also been sick so that may be part of my problem.

VancouverJude

#5 Post by VancouverJude »

silverlightstar wrote:Today is Day 2 and I'm having trouble eating.

I even went easy and ordered grilled fish (By the way, it was quite delicious, even though I was having trouble chewing.), chowder and fries. I could barely eat the fries, but I was able to swallow the fish and chowder.

Please tell me it gets easier!
Eating gets easier fer sure. Considering that you're just been braced and are out at a restaurant is a very good sign. I totally laid low for the first week.

For the first "x" number of days after getting adjustments it will be difficult to eat things such as fries. Also, your front teeth may be more sensitive. I try to eat lots of soup at these times both to give the teeth a rest and have a mini fast/diet. Besides, why eat food when it isn't as fun to eat as usual. [Er, not that I don't love soup.]

I had a bit of an epiphany at McDonalds this week and had a Quarter Pounder instead of Big Mac. Waaaay less clean up!

silverlightstar

#6 Post by silverlightstar »

VancouverJude wrote: Eating gets easier fer sure. Considering that you're just been braced and are out at a restaurant is a very good sign. I totally laid low for the first week.

For the first "x" number of days after getting adjustments it will be difficult to eat things such as fries. Also, your front teeth may be more sensitive. I try to eat lots of soup at these times both to give the teeth a rest and have a mini fast/diet. Besides, why eat food when it isn't as fun to eat as usual. [Er, not that I don't love soup.]

I had a bit of an epiphany at McDonalds this week and had a Quarter Pounder instead of Big Mac. Waaaay less clean up!
That's only because I was hungry and I didn't get a chance to run to the grocery store (That and it's a bit difficult to do with a toddler.); that and I'm quite a stubborn woman. If I don't have to cook, I won't. :lol:

My front teeth are still sensitive, but it's not as bad as the other day (I also constantly have the wax on them to prevent the braces from forming sores in my mouth. My poor right cheek is sore from the bracket!), since I took some Aleve earlier in the day.

How long did it take for the inside of your mouth to "toughen up" after being braced, if you don't mind me asking?

The epiphany did make me giggle; thank you. :)

silverlightstar

#7 Post by silverlightstar »

Adriae wrote:I'm on day three of having braces put on bottom and top and I find myself skipping meals. I just don't want to deal with the pain of trying to chew and the cleaning part afterward. If I do have to eat then I do soup and I tried a grilled cheese but the cheese kept getting stuck on the brackets so I didn't finish it. I'm really hoping it gets better cause it's been difficult so far. I've also been sick so that may be part of my problem.
I'll admit that I've been skipping a meal or two, although I really shouldn't.

I hope you feel better; being sick is no fun. :(

GRILLZ

#8 Post by GRILLZ »

i'm on day three...and unable to eat much at all. this is my worst day so far. soft fluffy mashed potatoes hurt like the dickens....cold smoothies are ok but i'm sooo tired of those. i'm also sick to boot......i couldn't be more miserable if i tried. i have tons of sores all over my mouth, i thought i had waxed every where i should have...but apparently not. ice cream feels very good to eat....that's the best but not exactly a well balanced meal. i've been skipping meals as well, because it is such a pain to remove the wax, eat, waterpik, brush, rinse w/ warm salt water or peroxide mouthwash (which stings like crazy but is supposed to help heal? then wax up again. flossing is out of the question my teeth are so sensitive to pressure right now.

i can't imagine trying to eat fish or french fries. i have eaten egg salad with the celery picked out and matzo ball soup, the matzo balls are soft fluffy dumplings.....

here's hoping things get better soon! :soremouth:

VancouverJude

#9 Post by VancouverJude »

silverlightstar wrote:
VancouverJude wrote: Eating gets easier fer sure. Considering that you're just been braced and are out at a restaurant is a very good sign. I totally laid low for the first week.

That's only because I was hungry and I didn't get a chance to run to the grocery store (That and it's a bit difficult to do with a toddler.); that and I'm quite a stubborn woman. If I don't have to cook, I won't. :lol:

My front teeth are still sensitive, but it's not as bad as the other day (I also constantly have the wax on them to prevent the braces from forming sores in my mouth. My poor right cheek is sore from the bracket!), since I took some Aleve earlier in the day.

How long did it take for the inside of your mouth to "toughen up" after being braced, if you don't mind me asking?

The epiphany did make me giggle; thank you. :)

Well, Silverlightstar, since you asked I'll level with you. I'm happy with how my teeth have been progressing but I am getting sick and tired of having to use wax. In my case I have appliance tubes which jut out from my upper rear 2nd molars. Down the road I'll have the Forsus appliance. Google *that* if ya wanna get scared straight, but it's all for the best.

Alas, I never got the memo about how the tubes will gouge the heck out of my cheeks and tongue if I don't constantly wear wax. Then just last week my other rear molars were also banded. And I clearly never was told I'd be double banded. Grrrr. These new uppers have elastic hooks that are bugging me.

Now I've developed Thrush (self diagnosed but sometimes ya just know these things) if you google (not while eating!) I assure you it's a very mild case at least compare to those pics. I had the flu earlier this month which lowered my immune system and probably brought forth my predicament. [I started a moan-fest <grin> about Thrush on this site.]

I'm not a big fan of antibiotics, and am going the natural route (yogurt/garlic; iodine gargle; no sugar; going "OM OM OM" lots <grin>; stopped using listerine; and generally thinking good thoughts.) I already eat a very healthy diet (ahem except for the McDonalds which is at most a twice monthly deal.) I'll go to my local family Doctor for antibiotics if things don't clear up soon or get worse.

So, anyhow, things can only get better. Maybe eventually I won't need so much wax. Wearing braces really is a "one day at a time" sort of prospect, sometimes your teeth feel "weird" sometimes you don't think about them at all. They say the mouth will toughen up even while one wears wax, but I don't quite understand how that can be. I did try to tough it out for a week and wear hardly any wax, but I came back to it.

Everyone's different. I would say try to go without the wax, but not to the point of pain, to let your mouth discover these new sensations. And no matter how much I dislike wax imagine our lives if it didn't exist. VIVA WAX.

I hope this helped and congrats on getting braces!

drgnchsr36

#10 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Yeah, I second the advice about using wax. I think gradually, your mouth adapts to the braces and before you know it.. you can be wax free. Granted, I think it's one of those things that comes and goes. Right now, I'm wax free.. but I'm sure one of these days, I'll be using it again.

At the moment, I've been able to eat anything that I normally do.. except that now I have to brush right after. It sorta takes the fun out of eating. I'm more paranoid then ever about brushing and flossing. :/

Adriae

#11 Post by Adriae »

Today was my first "real" meal. I had mashed potatoes, tri-tip (steak), and salad. I did manage to eat the steak better than I thought I would be able to. I just had to cut it into really small bites.

I'm still rather discouraged about eating though. I really dislike the fact that every single time I eat now that I have to brush but I get over it and just do it.

I've tried to stay away from the wax, I'm going for the approach of trying to get my cheeks and mouth become accustomed to having braces in my mouth rather than wax everything up. So far I don't really have any issues with any sores or irritation and I'm almost five days in. Today seemed to be the day that I woke up and the braces felt different and not so huge and out of place in my mouth, so I guess I'm adjusting to having them there. They don't seem as foreign as they did the first day or so of when I got them.

I'm not banded on my molars yet. They couldn't place them because I didn't have enough space the first go round so I go back in a little over a week from now and get banded and I'm sure that will be another hurdle I'll have to get over. They mentioned a palate expander in one of my upcoming appointments so I'm really not trying to stress myself out too much about it. I know surgery is in my future in a year from now, and from the way my ortho talked she would like to have it done in under a year if she can manage. Now when it gets to that point I will be freaking out cause nothing about double jaw surgery is going to be "ok". Bleh!

silverlightstar

#12 Post by silverlightstar »

VancouverJude wrote:Well, Silverlightstar, since you asked I'll level with you. I'm happy with how my teeth have been progressing but I am getting sick and tired of having to use wax. In my case I have appliance tubes which jut out from my upper rear 2nd molars. Down the road I'll have the Forsus appliance. Google *that* if ya wanna get scared straight, but it's all for the best.

Alas, I never got the memo about how the tubes will gouge the heck out of my cheeks and tongue if I don't constantly wear wax. Then just last week my other rear molars were also banded. And I clearly never was told I'd be double banded. Grrrr. These new uppers have elastic hooks that are bugging me.

Now I've developed Thrush (self diagnosed but sometimes ya just know these things) if you google (not while eating!) I assure you it's a very mild case at least compare to those pics. I had the flu earlier this month which lowered my immune system and probably brought forth my predicament. [I started a moan-fest <grin> about Thrush on this site.]

I'm not a big fan of antibiotics, and am going the natural route (yogurt/garlic; iodine gargle; no sugar; going "OM OM OM" lots <grin>; stopped using listerine; and generally thinking good thoughts.) I already eat a very healthy diet (ahem except for the McDonalds which is at most a twice monthly deal.) I'll go to my local family Doctor for antibiotics if things don't clear up soon or get worse.

So, anyhow, things can only get better. Maybe eventually I won't need so much wax. Wearing braces really is a "one day at a time" sort of prospect, sometimes your teeth feel "weird" sometimes you don't think about them at all. They say the mouth will toughen up even while one wears wax, but I don't quite understand how that can be. I did try to tough it out for a week and wear hardly any wax, but I came back to it.

Everyone's different. I would say try to go without the wax, but not to the point of pain, to let your mouth discover these new sensations. And no matter how much I dislike wax imagine our lives if it didn't exist. VIVA WAX.

I hope this helped and congrats on getting braces!
Honestly, I prefer that people be straight up with me; it makes things easier and I'm able to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best and somehow aim for the middle. :lol:

I've heard horror stories from the ER (As in gunshot wounds and stabbings.) from my dear mother; the Forsus appliance looks neat to me (I'm a bit weird; sorry!), but I can imagine how painful that could be for someone.

I've dealt with thrush from breastfeeding my daughter; it sucked, to say the least. I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with that!

Today was the first day I went without the wax; it wasn't as bad as it could be, but I'm still putting the wax on at night.

silverlightstar

#13 Post by silverlightstar »

Adriae wrote:Today was my first "real" meal. I had mashed potatoes, tri-tip (steak), and salad. I did manage to eat the steak better than I thought I would be able to. I just had to cut it into really small bites.

I'm still rather discouraged about eating though. I really dislike the fact that every single time I eat now that I have to brush but I get over it and just do it.

I've tried to stay away from the wax, I'm going for the approach of trying to get my cheeks and mouth become accustomed to having braces in my mouth rather than wax everything up. So far I don't really have any issues with any sores or irritation and I'm almost five days in. Today seemed to be the day that I woke up and the braces felt different and not so huge and out of place in my mouth, so I guess I'm adjusting to having them there. They don't seem as foreign as they did the first day or so of when I got them.

I'm not banded on my molars yet. They couldn't place them because I didn't have enough space the first go round so I go back in a little over a week from now and get banded and I'm sure that will be another hurdle I'll have to get over. They mentioned a palate expander in one of my upcoming appointments so I'm really not trying to stress myself out too much about it. I know surgery is in my future in a year from now, and from the way my ortho talked she would like to have it done in under a year if she can manage. Now when it gets to that point I will be freaking out cause nothing about double jaw surgery is going to be "ok". Bleh!
First, congrats on the meal (That and I love tri-tip steak; yum!!)!

As I told someone else, I went without the wax today for the first time; while it felt weird, it wasn't as uncomfortable as it has been (I guess I get over stuff easier than I originally thought.). While they did cause some irritation and couple of sores, I don't have any bands or anything else to deal with (Thankfully.).

I hope that, once you have the jaw surgery, you recover quickly; that and I hope you don't stress out too much over it (That won't help with recovery time.).

Adriae

#14 Post by Adriae »

I started using wax today lol. I went back to work and my job is customer service and all the talking I was doing on the phones was just causing craziness in my mouth so I gave up and put some wax in several spots and pushed through the rest of the day. It does seem to help me alot when I drink water so I've been trying to keep plenty of it around me. Hope you are adjusting and today was a good day for you Silver!

I did have one co-worker come up to me and start asking me work related questions and then stop mid-sentence and asked me if I had braces on?!? That was pretty random and annoying but oh well, what can you do.

Another girl at work is going in Friday for her consultation. She said I motivated her to get her teeth fixed. So yay for that.

silverlightstar

#15 Post by silverlightstar »

Adriae wrote:I started using wax today lol. I went back to work and my job is customer service and all the talking I was doing on the phones was just causing craziness in my mouth so I gave up and put some wax in several spots and pushed through the rest of the day. It does seem to help me alot when I drink water so I've been trying to keep plenty of it around me. Hope you are adjusting and today was a good day for you Silver!

I did have one co-worker come up to me and start asking me work related questions and then stop mid-sentence and asked me if I had braces on?!? That was pretty random and annoying but oh well, what can you do.

Another girl at work is going in Friday for her consultation. She said I motivated her to get her teeth fixed. So yay for that.
Today was a good day; my teeth, although sore, did fairly well (I had hamburger, macaroni salad and potato salad for dinner.); I was able to chew my food with some pain (but it was tolerable).

I'm glad that you were able to get through your day (Even with wax!); customer service is tough enough without metal train-track like things in your mouth.