New to the club-almost

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jensniffer

New to the club-almost

#1 Post by Jensniffer »

Hey everyone! I am new around here, poked around a bit and saw tons of good information so thought I would register. I am 34 and getting braces for the first time on May 27th. I am getting full ceramics, decided against invisalign, I just don't think I will have the disipline to wear them the required daily amount so I am not taking any chances! I'm so excited I feel like a little kid!! Next Friday can't come fast enough!

catgyrl

Re: New to the club-almost

#2 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Jen!

So excited for you! I'm so glad I didn't try to get Invisalign, too. I don't think my case would qualify, anyway, but like you, I don't think I would be disciplined enough to take them out for every meal, clean them, and put them back in. I'd rather just eat whenever I feel like it, and brush a million times a day. :D

Take lots of pics so you can follow your progress!

-Cathy

Jensniffer

#3 Post by Jensniffer »

Thanks!! I am so excited! These next 10 days are going to drag by!!! I have been telling some of the staff at work about it so they won't be shocked when I walk in Monday morning with them on. I am taking the afternoon off next Friday and my appointment is at 1:30 so I don't have to go back in afterwards. They said my appt would be about 2 hours long as they are going to do some "slenderizing" as they put on the brackets. Eating up all the awkward stuff I can for the next 10 days lol :jump:

Harriet

#4 Post by Harriet »

Good luck with getting your braces, I'm really excited about getting mine too! I've got a bit longer to wait though, not getting them until 13th June!

Jensniffer

#5 Post by Jensniffer »

5 more sleeps! FIVE. MORE. SLEEPS......I am so excited!! Of course in 6 or 7 more sleeps I am sure I will be wondering what the heck I've done lol Going to stock up on soft foods here in the next day or two. I am doing Weight Watchers too so I have to really make some good food choices and not load up on icecream!

BraceDva22

#6 Post by BraceDva22 »

Im also getting my braces on the 27th. Im soo excited and cant wait. I took the whole day off so I can get comfortable with them in my mouth-well at least try to get comfortable. I just hope I dont develop a lisp-thats my biggest fear-lol

Jensniffer

#7 Post by Jensniffer »

I took some before pics last night so I can keep track of my progress. My appointment is at 1:30 so I took half a day off of work, I don't think I will be getting a lot of work done in that first half of the day!! I have read a lot about spacers and stuff but my ortho never mentioned me getting them, I would assume I would have started that process already if that was his intentions. We'll see!! Good luck to you! Four more sleeps!!

Nettie

#8 Post by Nettie »

congrats and good luck to you both Jensniffer and BraceDva22!!!

let us know how you both are afterwards. I will be getting started in June.

klobird

#9 Post by klobird »

Congratulations!! Today is the big day!!! I remember being so excited I could hardly stand it!!! Even though they can be a pain in the butt with eating and cleaning, I am excited every day to look for new changes. I am soooo happy I went through with it!!

(55yrs old and in braces for 1 month today!!)

Jensniffer

#10 Post by Jensniffer »

Well they are on!! Not so bad..home for 1.5 hours and snapped off a bracket already and the office is closed until Monday...boy this will be a long journey if this is just the beginning.

The worst part was of course the plastic things they use to hold your mouth open! They weren't that annoying but it was painful getting the top back molars done and having it push into my gums.

So I ended up with almost all clear, just the bottom back are metal as they are stronger. My very back molars need to have bands put on them and they aren't doing that until 7 weeks from now. In six weeks I will go in for the spacer elastics and a week later they will come out and the top bands will go on. Apparently they want to shift a lot in the front bottom first before the bottom bands go on.

I got lots to take home :) an awesome electric tooth brush, a regular tooth brush, tooth paste, mouthwash, flossers, super floss, lip balm, 2 different kinds of wax and a little carrying case.

I could feel a bit of pressure as soon as the wires went on but that was it, I did take 800mg of ibprofen before going in though lol

and the best part....for me anyways...no ligatures!! I have the little 'doors' that snap closed and hold in the wire, I am pretty stoked about that as I was really worried about staining. Gums are a little sore but not raw yet but its a really bizarre feeling to have all of this 'stuff' in my mouth! And I am slobbering a lot and my lips are really dry!!

dreamrio

#11 Post by dreamrio »

Congrats! That's too bad about the single bracket coming off but that's just part of the whole braces journey. I bet all of us who are newly braced will have plenty of that in our future. Good news about the self-ligating brackets! I wish I had those. I'm always so worried about my food staining my ligatures. And an electric toothbrush! Fancy swag :)

Jensniffer

#12 Post by Jensniffer »

Well first morning with braces, woke up with a gummy feeling mouth from mouth breathing all night ewwwwww lol No soreness just still a bit of pressure. Took more ibprofen before bed just in case but I feel fine this morning. I was expecting the worst and so far so good...

noveldevice

#13 Post by noveldevice »

I had a lateral incisor that was tucked behind two other teeth, and I popped that bracket in the office when they were applying the brackets, right when they put the flex-tie on, and then after I got my first wire, two days before my next adjustment, I popped that bracket again and had to wait over the weekend with it just there on the wire before they could rebond it.

It hasn't popped since, though. Once that tooth was more in line with the rest, I haven't had any problems.

Just FYI, I haven't had any problems with ligature staining whatsoever. I usually get clear on top and a colour on the bottom (dark blue right now!) and even though I drink all the coffee in the world and eat a lot of spicy foods with cumin and chili, I haven't had any problems with visible staining.

Of course, I don't eat foods with turmeric, as I'm allergic, and I have heard a number of people say that curry stains worst of anything. :)

Jensniffer

#14 Post by Jensniffer »

Ya the tooth that it came off of is set back from the rest so I am thinking it was under a bit of pressure anyways and then my bottom tooth hit it while I was talking and off it came!

Still just feeling a bit of pressure on all my teeth, inside of cheeks are irritated right at the farthest back bracket (second to last molars, no bands yet) so I applied some wax last night and its all good now! My inside lip is a little irritated but not bad. I am even eating whatever I want, just cut up very small and chewing slowly. Eating takes up a lot of my time right now ha.

So glad I made this decision. The only downfall is the brackets are so white looking they make my teeth look pretty yellow :(

noveldevice

#15 Post by noveldevice »

Yeah, that'll stop as soon as they move in line, or should. For the first month or so, I was putting wax on most of my brackets almost nightly. After that it really wasn't a problem. I've had to use wax occasionally since--when a tooth is about to move, the bracket tends to irritate more, and I'll put some wax on it for overnight, but I have never actually had to go out wearing wax. :)

Eat stuff now, because as soon as your molar bands go on and your molars start moving, chewing is going to be really difficult, because it'll hurt quite a bit to put that much pressure on your molars.

I love my gold brackets. :) I know I keep saying it, but honestly, they are so cute. I get a lot of compliments. Went on a blind date this weekend and forgot to mention I had braces, and the first thing he said was "I have never seen gold braces. Those are really awesome." :)

Speaking of chewing--I had pizza last night and asked my server if she'd ask the kitchen (it was a pub) to cut my pizza into small squares instead of wedges. She looked at my mouth for a second and said "I had braces till I was 22. I'll make sure, but I don't see why it would be a problem." When it came out, they'd cut it into little one inch diamond shapes. :) It was DELICIOUS.