Hello!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Goofy

Hello!

#1 Post by Goofy »

I'm 29, and about to get fixed braces for the second time - I didn't wear my retainers for as long as I was supposed to, and my teeth have shifted over the past 10 years to leave small gaps in the upper arch and crowding in the bottom. After mulling it over for nearly a year I finally saw an orthodontist and have decided to go for clear on top, metal on bottom, with treatment time of around 9 months (and then bonded retainers on both arches). So just wanted to say hello, and thank you in advance for all the stories and pictures - they have given me hope! I'll post pictures when I am eventually "braced". :D

Lamis

Re: Hello!

#2 Post by Lamis »

I am 29 just got braces on today the clear brackets. I wanted the clear bands that hold the brackets in but she said I should go with smoke gray and you can not even see them! My bottom teeth hurt but not the top. Take advil before you go in. Good luck!

Bec There

#3 Post by Bec There »

I'd be interested to see how you went? :) Any progress?

braceface74

#4 Post by braceface74 »

Any pictures for us yet?

Goofy

#5 Post by Goofy »

Hi! Thanks for your interest. Brace Day is set for 23 January, upper ceramics only to start with - we need to make room for metal brackets on the lower teeth, so they'll go on in a few months. This might involve a small bonded bite block (or something) on the back of an upper front tooth for a month or so, to allow my bite to adjust.

We (well, I) had a small panic because my x-rays showed that one front tooth was completely calcified, my ortho thinks I bashed it ages ago and it's happened over time - my first thought was of course "argh, root canal!" but my normal dentist is happy for treatment to proceed as normal, the tooth is quite happy, apparently, and shouldn't be affected by treatment. Phew! :D

So yes, 12 days and counting - I'm so excited! 9 - 12 months of treatment and I can't wait to get started. I'll try to get my hands on my photos so you can why I need the braces!

What stages are you all at?

Goofy

#6 Post by Goofy »

Hi all! Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone was at the same stage - I tried posting pictures after Brace Day but I don't think I have enough priviledges yet. So, Brace Day was fine, had a few panic moments with creaky teeth in the next week, and settled in to the first 4 weeks well enough (was even eating crisps yesterday!). Just had my first adjustment and yowzers! Glad I ate the crisps yesterday because right now even melted ice cream doesn't appeal - my ortho decided that 2 little teeth at either side (not the very front ones, or the ones next to those, or the ones next to those - the next ones) are still too twisted to be moved properly so he wired them into the main wire instead of using a ligature... and it HURTS. :(

Anyway, on the bright side he said next time the main wire will be changed, and then the time after that he thinks the top teeth will have flipped out enough to make room for brackets on the bottom, hopefully without needing bite turbos. Hurrah!

Goofy

Re: Hello! (updated with pictures - 19 April)

#7 Post by Goofy »

Hi again! So, I think I now have sufficient user priviledges to post pictures - I hope this works! Just got my lowers braced today and I'm feeling sorry for myself (and also embarrassed about just how wonky they look - the wire doesn't lie!). New powerchain on the top too.

Pre-braces

Uppers braced (sorry, rather blurry)

Whoa, the rest were huge... hang on a sec.

Goofy

#8 Post by Goofy »

Dammit. They're still huge. Maybe I'll post a proper update tomorrow!

It doesn't look like there have been massive changes. But the lateral incisors are moving closer to the central incisors, and rotating a bit. The first pre-molars on both sides were out of line with the rest of the arch, and twisted, and they're moving out in a more normal position now. So, it's going OK, my ortho is pleased with the progress, and I'm already looking forward (sort of) to the next appointment!

Goofy

Re: Hello! (updated with pictures - 20 April)

#9 Post by Goofy »

April 13

Yesterday

As you can see, I've figured out the macro mode on my camera! :D

Goofy

#10 Post by Goofy »

6 months in and lots of progress:

My ortho says we'll be finishing ahead of schedule which means they'll be off by Christmas. Yay!

noveldevice

#11 Post by noveldevice »

Yay for finishing ahead of schedule! I was at the ortho late last week and we made my braces-off appointment for the 20th.

I am SO EXCITED. 4 whole months early!

Webbie

#12 Post by Webbie »

Wow .. 4 months early is great! :D

Hey how did you upload the pics ? Please help. Thanks! :)

Goofy

#13 Post by Goofy »

So - not quite ahead of schedule (in fact, nowhere near - they're still on, a year and 8 days later). But I'm on the 4 week count-down to de-bracing now, and am very excited - I'll take more pictures before they come off, I haven't been very diligent in tracking progress recently! I'm pleased with the results - my teeth aren't a perfect shape so I know I'll never have a Hollywood smile, but the gaps on the top are closed, and the crowding on the bottom is non-existent. My bite is better, and I can't wait to see my teeth again!

Webbie, there's a sticky thread in one of the forums - either Metal Mouth or this one - with good instructions. You'll need a photo sharing account and then I think you can just share the link, as long as you use the right code.