24 and freshly braced!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Deens Dents

24 and freshly braced!

#1 Post by Deens Dents »

Hello everybody!

I've been creeping around this site for a few weeks now, I did introduce myself here once before - but apparently in the excitement of me finding myself here, I posted it in a ridiculous place. So, hello again. :) I'm Deen and I've just been braced... :tingrin:

I'm 24 years old - nearly 25 - and I've just had my braces put on this morning. I opted for the "normal" metal braces and got "shockingly pink" bands put on for something fun. Anywho, my consultation determined that my top teeth are moderately crowded with rotations, with a deep overbite and moderate over jet. My orthodontist had planned to extract the top two 1st premolars, but ultimately, decided against it - which made me pretty happy. In the consult, he had expressed concern about the spaces, and the amount of time it takes for them to close, and the fact that it *could* make me look older (which I did/do not want!). However, he does want me to consider jaw surgery as part of my treatment plan as it would speed up the treatment process, fix my overbite, and positively impact my profile as I currently have a convex profile. While I didn't make a decision about it at today's appointment, he does want me to let him know by my next one on January 25. Any advice from those who have had jaw surgery?

The whole appointment only took about an hour max. I'm a pretty intense nighttime grinder, and the effect this has had on my teeth was apparently very frustrating to the poor lady putting on the braces - she kept mumbling about incisor edges, and all sorts of other random things that I didn't really catch. It was quite a strange ordeal. No pain though. I'm about 5 hours in right now, and feeling pretty good. My mouth feels rather full, and the gums are a bit raw, but nothing crazy.

Anyway, was just really excited and wanted to share! Thanks for reading!

AM21

Re: 24 and freshly braced!

#2 Post by AM21 »

Hi Deen! Welcome to the board! :) I don't have any advice about jaw surgery but there is a Oral Surgery board on this site. That would probably be a good place to start for advice. Good Luck on your braced journey! Oh! If you haven't purchased a waterpik, it's well worth the money to buy one. It works wonders!
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

revelvia

#3 Post by revelvia »

Hi Deen!

I'm similar to you, 23 but nearly 24, and just got my braces on yesterday. I'll be having the surgery as well, but not really out of choice - the NHS would only do the braces if I got the surgery as well so eh, why not! I had a similar experience to you in that apparently I really chew my cheeks and the ortho was just muttering away to himself about it whilst putting the braces on - which was fine until I started to find the situation quite funny and then pulled all sorts of weird faces whilst trying not to laugh and to keep my mouth open :lol:
[/url]

Deens Dents

#4 Post by Deens Dents »

:) Congrats on your braces! I hope that everything goes smoothly! Have you gone through the consultation with the surgeon yet? I'm still debating about what I want to do. My boyfriend says I should go to the consult and figure it out from there. He's probably right, even if I don't want to admit it.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that drove their poor Ortho crazy... I was feeling a little guilty. hehe.

Gabrielito

#5 Post by Gabrielito »

Thats a tough choice!
i would get a second or third ,fourth opinion, just in case.

a few years ago i was in the same dilemma, only to decide against jaw surgery, and i dont regret it.
Dentist said i needed jaw surgery as well as a few extractions, wich i didnt want at all, had a nightmare with
wisdom teeth surgery, cant imagine jaw surgery ( not to scare you ,but to encourage a few more DDS opinions ).

to make story short, didnt get jaw surgery, no premolar extraction , only wisdom teeth, but i do get the opinion of one dentist
and said that he will try is best not to get premolars extracted, first would try with damons 3 ( some of latest generation braces/brand).

so with a bit of luck no extractions and no jaw surgery at all!!!

- most important thing is to get a pro decide (get some choices tough)
- read a lot, let them explain to you everything
- last but not least, enjoy it!!!

:D

brace33

#6 Post by brace33 »

You are lucky to avoid extractions. But would you be able to avoid surgery if you opt to have extractions. I am a newbie too. But surgery sounds more serious than extractions.

itzztrick

#7 Post by itzztrick »

haha cool! welcome! i got mine around the same as you too