41 year-old braced on Nov. 30, 2005; many details

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Andrew

41 year-old braced on Nov. 30, 2005; many details

#1 Post by Andrew »

Hello everyone -

I'm a 41-year-old man who just had braces put on on Nov. 30, to correct various issues, including a mild overbite, a mild overjet, some crooked teeth throughout, some crowding in my lower teeth, and, most notably, a prominent gap between my top front teeth (which may have recently widened). Although unclear, it's possible that the movement in my top front teeth was initiated by a top wisdom tooth I had removed a year or so ago.

I have metal (smart clips) top and bottom.

In addition, to the purely orthodontic matters, I have a baby tooth in the bottom that needs to be extracted as it may be subsiding (there is no adult tooth underneath it). While this would need to be done in any event, it will help with the orthodonics by freeing up some space where my lower teeth are crowded. (Interestingly, this baby tooth is significantly wider than the adult teeth, although also much shorter). Near the end of my treatment period, I will receive a smaller implant in that space.

My treatment time is 19 mos., followed by 4 mos. in a retainer (with a bonded retainer for my bottom teeth).

A week before I was to be braced, the ortho put spacers around two bottom molars that will be banded. Unfortunately, when it came time to put on the bands, one of my spacers hadn't made enough space, so the ortho put a different spacer in, and I'll get that molar banded next week.

I'm still getting used to the braces, although it hasn't been too bad. I've been eating mostly soft food because my teeth are sore when I chew, although they seem to be somewhat less sore now. I've had some irritation from the molar band, but that has almost gone away now, too. Finally, I can't really bite down all the way because my top canine hits a bracket on a lower tooth; my ortho said one of those teeth would move enough in a couple of weeks so that this would no longer be a problem.

So, that's my story. I'm glad that this website is here so that I don't have to bore my unbraced friends will all of the gory details. :lol:

Shawnie

#2 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Andrew

I too have baby teeth that never fell out. I have the baby canines, but the permanent canines are impacted. So I will be doing surgery to expose those and bring them down. Also I have four baby molars where there was never a permanent tooth. Instead of pulling them my Dr. said since the root system is good and they do not seem to be attached to the bone that we will just move them with the other teeth. Any chance that you can do this also? I know each situation is different though. Just wanted to give you another opinion.

Good luck with everything. I know you will find this site very helpful. As you said you don't want to bore all your friends with this brace stuff. I feel the same way. I have an outlet here, where everyone understands what we are all going through. I know my friends are supportive, but I'm sure they don't want to here all the details.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

Andrew

#3 Post by Andrew »

Thanks Karen!

Hi Shawnie - the real problem with my baby molar is that it's starting to subside (i.e., sink back down below the gum); my dentist warned me a few years ago that it would eventually need to be extracted. It's also much lower than the teeth on either side of it - if those teeth are 10mm above the gumline, the baby molar is 3-4mm above the gumline. (Those measurements are just estimates). But without those issues, and especially with the baby molars next to each other, I can see how it would make sense to keep the baby teeth: aside from the issues I mentioned, my baby tooth has given me no problems at all.

Good luck with the surgery on your impacted canines - about 10 years ago I had two impacted wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic. I didn't enjoy the experience, but after two or three days of eating jello, I had no more pain and was completely back to normal.

When the surgeon brings down the canines, is he/she going to actually position them where they are supposed to be?

Shawnie

#4 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Andrew,

Now I unserstand why they are going to pull your baby tooth, that makes sense. As for my surgery, my Dr. says as soon as we get a strong enough wire in then the Surgeon can expose those teeth and put some type of a button thing ( not sure what it's called) attached to a gold chain that is attached to the arch wire. I still don't know exactly where the canines are, more x-rays needed. The other people on this site who have shared their stories have been very helpful in what to expect. I do know that it is a long process, but if all goes according to plan then I will have full size canines in their proper place, no more little tiny teeth there. I'm a little worried though because they say the younger you are when you do this surgery the better and I am 44, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work.

Anyway, hope you are doing well, keep us posted.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06