Introduction: Chris in Raleigh, NC

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raleighsmile

Introduction: Chris in Raleigh, NC

#1 Post by raleighsmile »

Hi. I still can't believe I am doing this. I'm 36 and I'm having braces put on Wednesday, December 14. I had spacers put in yesterday.

I am very nervous about this whole process. Surprisingly the spacers were very painless. They had them in within minutes and I could hardly tell they were in. I can see them; three on each side on the top and two on each side of the bottom. They told me that they may hurt later on, especially when I try to eat, but so far haven't really noticed them. I hope the braces going on will be just as comfortable.

I'm mainly doing this because my teeth don't line up well and my bite is off. I've always wanted a better smile. As an adult, I rarely smile - often people think I'm mad or stern, but I just don't smile a lot because I don't like that my teeth are not straight. So, I'm doing something about it, but still scared at the same time.

I guess I'm about to start a very interesting two year adventure. Will keep everyone posted and will probably be asking questions from time to time. Glad this site is here!

mcvicker

#2 Post by mcvicker »

Hi Chris,
I'm nearby you, in durham by falls lake actually. Call me if you want to go for a drink or something, or better yet, a round of golf :)
I'm 27, have had braces since the august before last and basically was in the same situation as you.

john

ps. know anyone who's looking for a place to either buy or rent? i need to do something with my house (3 bed/3 bath, 1580sqft. ranch, 2+ acres, 1000/mo rent, $154,000 selling price, or 400+utilities for 2 rooms)
Starting date: Aug 12, 2004
Completion date: July 2007.
Assessment: Best thing I've done for myself so far.
Dr: Bert Kelling

mcvicker

#3 Post by mcvicker »

Starting date: Aug 12, 2004
Completion date: July 2007.
Assessment: Best thing I've done for myself so far.
Dr: Bert Kelling

Dadio

#4 Post by Dadio »

Welcome raleighsmile! This is a great place to hang out, THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN, and learn a lot. Glad you've started off and it sounds like a great start as well. I guess I'm still a newbie here, I got spacers 9/26 of this year and braced on 10/06. I'm 45 and have had bite issues for years now, so that and my daughter getting braces (same day as me) prompted to go ahead and make the leap.

Take care!

raleighsmile

one week in braces

#5 Post by raleighsmile »

I had my braces put on Wednesday, December 14. It has been almost a week and so far it has been OK.

I've not really been in any pain, but it is just strange feeling having all this stuff in my mouth.

It took them about two hours to get my braces on. I was very comfortable while they were putting them on. No bleeding, no pain, I really didn't feel anything.....until they took this plastic thing out of my mouth that was keeping my jaw open and tongue out of the way. That was when I first felt the braces in my mouth. That was very weird. It felt like my lips were sticking way out. And where they had put metal bands around my teeth felt strange. But I'm starting to get used to it.

I've posted some pictures at: http://www.metrodesigns.net/metroboy/braces.htm

So far I've been eating almost normal. I've been avoiding hard or chewy stuff.

Now, I just have to wait this out for the next two years! Merry Christmas!
12/14/05: Braces on - 6 metal bands, all metal brackets on bottom, ceramic on top.

hanna

#6 Post by hanna »

mcvicker wrote:919.369.0020
did you realize you just posted your phone number on the web? pretty trusting. :shock:

Liza Bee

#7 Post by Liza Bee »

Hi RaleighSmile,
I'm impressed/envious/amazed that you are doing so well. I got my braces on the 16th, two days after you, and frankly, I'm struggling. Food is a challenge, my speech is difficult to understand, and dang, I'm sore. I have palatal and lingual expanders in addition to the braces so I'm sure that's a factor.

But, seriously, it's great that you're doing well. I'm thinking positive that I will be doing better soon.
Liza

MsTiaLia

In Raleigh also with 7 days left to go...

#8 Post by MsTiaLia »

Hi Chris,
I too live in Raleigh!!! I got my spacers put in yesterday and my braces go on next Wednesday. My spacers didn't really hurt when they went in, but when I tried to eat, they got in the way of my top teeth touching my bottom teeth...that made chewing a challenge. So today has been filled with soup and things I don't have to chew very much:) So have your braces been as painless as your spacers???

raleighsmile

#9 Post by raleighsmile »

MsTiaLia wrote:Hi Chris,
So have your braces been as painless as your spacers???
Hey MsTiaLia! Glad to see another Raleigh person on here!

I had my braces put on December 14, so it has been a little over a month now.

No, I did not have any pain with the braces being put on or since. However, it really takes some getting used to.

I remember when I first closed my mouth after they put them on that it felt so strange. It felt like my lips were sticking out. I remember leaving the orthodontist office that day wondering if I had made a mistake. As I was driving home, I almost turned the car around to go back to the ortho's office and say..."take these off."

I kept thinking during the first days that I will never get used to this. But I have to tell you, give it time and after awhile you do get used to them.

Again, I have not been in any pain. I've not had mouth sores or anything. The only thing that has bothered me some is that I have six metal bands around my back teeth, two on each side of the top and then the back ones on both sides of the bottom. The metal bands have some type of bracket on the back sides that poke my tongue. That has been uncomfortable, especially when talking, but I've learned how to use dental wax and that works.

BTW, dental orthodontist wax can be a life saver during the first couple of weeks. I used it in a few places that were rubbing inside my mouth. Now, I rarely use it except for the inside of my bands. The problem is, I found that a lot of drug stores around here run out of dental wax, so you might want to stock up. I went through two or three packs that first week.

If you found eating with the spacers in challenging, then you need to be prepared for what braces are like and eating. Trying to eat when I first got the braces on seemed to take forever and would just be frustrating at times. It wasn't that it hurt to eat, it was more like my bite no longer lined up like it did. Chewing was more like "mashing" slowly in my mouth. And you have to brush always immediately after you eat....so meals really become a chore. But, I can say I've eaten about anything I normally would have. I've avoided chewy meats altogether like steak. The most difficult thing I have found to eat was Sweet and Sour chicken. I love this one Chinese place, but now the chicken is way to chewy for me. My mouth gets tired trying to eat it, so I just give up. But there are plenty of things I have been able to eat.

So far I've been happy with my orthodontist office. I'm using Dr. Devlin off Falls of Neuse in Raleigh on Harps Mill Road.

Good luck with your new braces! You will be fine!
12/14/05: Braces on - 6 metal bands, all metal brackets on bottom, ceramic on top.

MsTiaLia

Getting a little nervous

#10 Post by MsTiaLia »

Hi Chris,
I am so glad to know that I am not the only person who has 2nd thoughts! The day after I had my spacers put in, I really thought about calling the ortho and saying, "Never Mind!!!"

You mentioned your metal bands...can you tell me what those look like? My dentist called my orthodontist and told him to put bands on a couple of teeth I had root canals on, so I'm wondering what they will look like.

Also, I know this may sound crazy, but the pictures you have posted, did you take those yourself or do they take them when you go to the orthodontist?

I like to have all the details I possibly can, so thank you for helping with the details!!!

MsTiaLia

becky1

A big welcome from Indiana

#11 Post by becky1 »

Welcome to the site. I have had my braces on since November 2, 2005 and sometimes I wish I didn't go through this but it will be worth it in the long run. My biggest concern was that I am 26 yrs. old and didn't now what others would think. Hope everything goes well for you. How long is your expected treatment? And did you go with colored ligs?

MsTiaLia

#12 Post by MsTiaLia »

Hi Becky1,
I understand your concern with what others will think! I am 25. My baby sister has come up with different color schemes for me and I have to explain to her that while it is okay to have fun with them, I have to at least try to make it a little professional!!! My treatment is supposed to last 2 years. I get my braces put on this Wednesday, so I haven't really made a decision about colors yet! I wish there was some kind of computer program where they could put in my picture and let me see what the different colors will look like on me! I will let you guys know how it goes on Wednesday!

becky1

#13 Post by becky1 »

I have went with the colors and it seems to not really be that noticeable as from what I thought it would be. My kids even pick out colors for me to try. :lol: The plus thing about braces for me is one my teeth are looking good but also the weight lose has given me alot more confidence. :D

raleighsmile

Re: A big welcome from Indiana

#14 Post by raleighsmile »

MsTiaLia wrote: You mentioned your metal bands...can you tell me what those look like? My dentist called my orthodontist and told him to put bands on a couple of teeth I had root canals on, so I'm wondering what they will look like.

Also, I know this may sound crazy, but the pictures you have posted, did you take those yourself or do they take them when you go to the orthodontist?
MsTiaLia-

My metal bands are just silver metal that go completely around a tooth. I saw the bands before they put them in and they just looked like wide metal bands of silver. The width is about the height of my tooth. When they went to put them on, they had different size bands and they kept sliding them on until they found the size they wanted to use. Once they found the size they wanted to use, they put some type of bonding material inside the band and then put it over my tooth. I have six of them. It is hard to photograph because they are on the back molars.

That is probably why you have spacers. I've heard that they only do spacers if they are going to use metal bands. That is because they needed to create space so that the bands will slide over your tooth. I do not have crowns, but I have heard that they sometimes use bands to protect the crown.

As for photos, I took them myself. I did "shop" around for orthodontist and one of the orthodontist offices I checked out did take several photos. I didn't go with that orthodontist though.
becky1 wrote: My biggest concern was that I am 26 yrs. old and didn't now what others would think. Hope everything goes well for you. How long is your expected treatment? And did you go with colored ligs?
Becky and MsTiaLia-

I would give anything if I had done this at 26. I really wish I had. I'm 36 now. I kept worrying about what people would think about me doing it now. Over Christmas, I went and visited my father and the first thing he said was, "Why at your age would you want to do something like braces?"

Overall though, the response has been fine. Most people haven't even noticed. The only thing I was worried about was dating. I had (note, HAD is the keyword here) a boyfriend when I started this whole process. We had been together a year, so I felt comfortable he would be OK with me getting braces. He says he didn't really notice them, but he did act a little strange after I got them. Then, we broke up right after Christmas. It was mutual and there were some issues we had been dealing with prior to me getting braces. But I can't help but wonder what part, if any braces had to do with our relationship going under.

I have kissed one other guy since then and he did not even notice I had braces until after I told him (and this was after we kissed)....so maybe there is life with braces after all. I really worried about being single and having braces on. I kept thinking.....does having braces now mean I'm going to be single for the next two years! Guys can be so hung up on looks and gay guys are even worse.

As for treatment time, my orthodontist is telling me two years. I have not tried colored ligs yet, but I am thinking about it. I have an appointment tomorrow and I may get colored ligs. I have ceramic brackets on the top and metal on the bottom. They used clear ligs this first time. That worked OK. They did start to turn a dingy color though. I think it was from eating a hamburger that had mustard on it. If you get clear, I would stay away from yellow mustard.

I'm really torn on what color ligs to get. Like I said earlier, most people have not even noticed I have braces on. Which could be an argument to stick with the clear ligs. However, I'm thinking about maybe having fun with this and getting a color. I will let everyone know tomorrow after my appointment. I'll probably take some more pictures and post.

MsTiaLia - Good luck with your braces going on Wednesday!

And Becky, let me know what colors you have tried. Which color did you like the best?

altinure

#15 Post by altinure »

Hey, sorry to hear about the breakup with your boyfriend. I broke up with my boyfriend of two years a few weeks before Christmas. It was rough, but we remained friends.

i haven't had too much of an issue with guys not liking me due to braces. i still get some guys interested in me. i mainly feel self concious around gay guys my own age since most are really superficial and shallow. older men still seem to love me, haha. i don't know if that's a good thing.
Last edited by altinure on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.