what do you prefer ceramic or metal

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pinkdiamond

what do you prefer ceramic or metal

#1 Post by pinkdiamond »

Hi bracket clubbers,
I have ceramic on the top but they are so bulky and sharp . I will be getting braces on my bottom teeth next week and I'm not sure if I should get metal on the bottom because they are smaller. I planned on getting the clear but am rethinking it. Any suggestions?
Thanks Pinkdiamond

Kevin

#2 Post by Kevin »

Might want to do a search and find the dozens of other topics with the exact same question. ;) One just finished up last week, if I'm not mistaken...

But since I'm here, I got all metal and never regretted it. If I had to do it again, I'd get metal again.

Kevin

StacyJo

#3 Post by StacyJo »

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. Opinions vary.
I was quoted a price based on ceramic but when it came time for me to have the braces put on (which was just yesterday) I chose all metal.
Several reason why......I want colored ligs and yes you can still get colored logs with ceramic but I like colors with metal brackets better than with cermaic. Metal was $300 cheaper......no difference in treatment time. Per my ortho, the metal is smaller and more comfortable.
I think you'll be happy with whatever you decide because the end result will be the same.......a beautiful smile !!

butterfly

#4 Post by butterfly »

Umm yeah good question.

In the beginning I wanted metal all over but self ligating was not an option. So I took ceramics. I am soooo happy with them. People always say how subtle they are. I didn't have colors (yet) because I want my arch to be straight before getting them. I think ceramics with colors look beautiful, especially purple and soft pink shades.

At my last appointment I got one metal bracket on a double parked lateral, as seen on this pic:

I saw how tiny the metal bracket is when compared to the ceramics! (It is a full fledged bracket - not a "button"). But as soon as this tooth moved out a bit and became more visible I noticed that the color of the metal bracket is rather black than silver! I think it is really ugly. I am happy not to have these all over my mouth. I will get ceramics on the bottom as well unless there is a medical reason not to go for them. The size of the ceramics doesn't bother me. I didn't experience anything else though.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

pinkdiamond

#5 Post by pinkdiamond »

Thanks Butterfly,
I got ceramics on the top and I was thinking because the ceramics are so big I would maybe get the metal . I go in to see my ortho tommorow for the bottom and after hearing your opinion I will get the ceramics on the bottom too. Thanks for your help I needed a second opinion
Pinkdiamond