Why Arent Extraction Gaps Closing?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Morena_Prncss

Why Arent Extraction Gaps Closing?

#1 Post by Morena_Prncss »

I had the #5 and & #12 teeth extracted in August of last year (along with #s 21 and 28 in September) and there is roughly a 5mm gap remaining as well as 3mm on the other side. I understand teeth can be stubborn but shouldn't the extraction gaps be closer to filling by now? I've had powerchains on since a week after extractions and they just don't seem to be moving. My ortho doesn't seem too overly concerned about it but I want my braces off! Are there other options to use in conjunction with the powerchains or something completely different to close these spaces? TIA for any and all replies!
Metal top & TPA-4/6/05 Btm Lingual Arch-4/05
Upper ex-8/05 Lower ex-9/05
Metal btm-10/14/05
Lingual arch off-2/06

JumpTheDitch

#2 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Morena_Prncss I sympathise with your frustration!

I did a search on closing extraction gaps in the metal mouth forum, and it seems a lot (if not most?) peoples' orthos seem to use a conjunction of powerchains and elastics to help close up extraction gaps. Quite a few people mentioned springs as well. Some people reported their gaps closing up in as little as 2 mths, others have taken 4-6ish. One poor person still has her gaps 3.5 years after the extractions! She did say her ortho said her teeth were particularly stubborn.

I'm getting a little antsy for my extraction gaps to close up too. It's getting on for 7 mths since the upper second bicuspids were extracted, I still have large holes despite powerchain usage. I'm sure they must have closed up some but it really doesn't seem like it. While it's nice not to have the archwire poking into my cheek, it's frustrating to not be seeing any progress. I wish Mr Ortho-Man would give me elastics or something to hurry the process up!

Good luck with your treatment :thumbsup:

Morena_Prncss

#3 Post by Morena_Prncss »

I apologize but I neglected to mention that I've been wearing medium-light elastics (Chuck) as well for the past 4-5 months or so. :oops:
Metal top & TPA-4/6/05 Btm Lingual Arch-4/05
Upper ex-8/05 Lower ex-9/05
Metal btm-10/14/05
Lingual arch off-2/06

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

Your ortho may not be overly concerned because he/she is working on other issues in your mouth...bite...fixing other teeth...etc. When he/she is ready the gaps will get their due attention. Usually if powerchains aren't enough, people get closing loops to finish things up...they have a little more power than the chains.

I know it is irritating having the gaps (been there myslef...), but it'll happen.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

JumpTheDitch

#5 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Morena_Prncss, elastics : I'm jealous! :x lol. I hear people on the board complaining bout them being a real pain but if they help move the process along any...

Good luck with your gaps, I forgot about the closing loops Alexa mentioned, you see a lot of those here on the board too.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Alexa; I guess that's why I'm getting so frustrated, my ortho said he wasn't going to fix my bite, sort out a crossbite on my second molar, or make my first molars meet until he'd closed the extraction gaps. Everything is waiting on these damn gaps, yet he's only using powerchains alone to try to close em. :?:

Since my braces are meant to come off in 8 months, I'm getting a little sceptical. *sigh*

Sorry, just had to vent! :roll:
Good luck Morena_Prncss :thumbsup:

tictac

#6 Post by tictac »

Every case and every ortho is different, of course, but mine used closing loops along with powerchains and they worked like a charm. It took a long time for her to start using the closing loops, but once she did, they closed in about 3 months.

Char

GAP CLOSURE

#7 Post by Char »

I HAD 2 EXTRACTIONS ON TOP TO CORRECT MY OVERBITE. AFTER 18 MONTHS AND WEARING ELASTICS FOR 6 OUT OF THE 18 MONTHS,I STILL HAD GAPS, SO MY ORTHO PUT E-LINKS ON TOP AND WITHIN 1 WEEK IT CLOSED THE REST OF THE WAY.
I THINK HE WAS WAITING FOR THE OVERBITE TO BE AT A GOOD PLACE BEFORE HE COMPLETELY CLOSED EVERYTHING UP.
IT WAS AMAZING, THAT EXTRA LITTLE TUG DID THE TRICK.

Xcentric

gaps

#8 Post by Xcentric »

I also had #5 and #12 removed and my ortho is trying to let the gaps close with out powerchains. I have had these gaps for two months now and now I am suppose to get bands on my back teeth. No mention of trying to close the gaps. I'm starting to worry.
Lady Xcentric

Braces on February 9, 2006
Two Extractions April 20, 2006
Tongue bar added December 19, 2006
Next Appt. February 1, 2007

Henna_the_braceface

#9 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

My ortho's trying to close my 4 extraction gaps with springs. :)

sjsarre

#10 Post by sjsarre »

I've got four extraction gaps to close. The extractions were done 3.5months ago On the top my Ortho put springs last month. I'm going for an adjustment this Friday. I'd say my gaps on the top have closed about a third of the way.

On my bottom row I have two to close up. They have both closed about half of the way and that is without springs..

Quite strange as I was told that the bottom row takes longer to move. And springs help push things along. Yet its the top with the springs that are taking longer to closed up!

Dark_angel

#11 Post by Dark_angel »

I had 4 teeth extracted late august / early september of 2005 just before i begun my treatment, i had all four second premolars removed and i still have quite large gaps. Ive had elastics and powerchains but i think the priority it to get my class 2 bite sorted and then to close up the gaps. Ive hopefully got arround 9 months left in braces and im hoping thats enough time to get all the gaps and everything sorted.