Worried - molars don't meet due to front teeth in the way!

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

zoelee

Worried - molars don't meet due to front teeth in the way!

#1 Post by zoelee »

Hi Dr.

I just had my braces removed Monday. I'm wearing a set of retainer right now. But I've been noticing a problem. Basically my top and bottom molers on the left can't touch. When I try to chew with my molers, the second and 3rd teech on the left meet first. I switch to the right side it's the same problem - right top and bottom molers can't meet each other without the up and bottom 2nd and 3rd teeth on the left meet first. I'm worried if I chew uncarefully I might chip my top and bottom 2nd and 3rd teeth on the left. Is this normal? If not, can my orthodontist correct it with the retainer? I don't want to have to wear braces again!

Thanks!

Zoe

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I would go back to the ortho and have this looked at. It isn't right and he can probably fix it with the retainer.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

zoelee

#3 Post by zoelee »

I saw her this afternoon. Her explanation is, my teeth probably shift after the braces off, even though I was wearing the clear plastic retainer 24/7. She said those plastic one not as powerful as the braces.

She also said that teeth also move vertically, so my molars might just move out to finally meet. She ground down a little bit of my 2nd tooth on the left, it helps a little, but they still touch before the molars meet.

Does this sound like a reasonable explanation to you all?

I have no idea what to make out of it.

I got a new set of retainer with wire in the front, am wearing it now. Will see her again in 2 weeks. Hopefully this problem will go away by then.

zoe

dr_burn

#4 Post by dr_burn »

Zoe dont worry - your orthodontist is going about this the right way

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I know the feeling. I'm still in braces and my back molars are not touching still. They LOOK Like they are touching but they don't.

When I chew I feel like I'm hitting the premolars and front teeth. I wonder if he plans on grinding down those teeth a bit in the end to bring it all together. :shock:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

fins

#6 Post by fins »

Hmm...this is interesting. I was hititing the molars fine but my finishing elastics cause my bite to switch to the front teeth and I don't think I am hitting the molars anymore - to tell the truth, I can't really tell. I know the bite is off now on one side. Sigh....I just want it to get better.
fins