Ortho applied Damon 2 instead of Damon 3 brackets

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nandini

Ortho applied Damon 2 instead of Damon 3 brackets

#1 Post by nandini »

My orthodontist had explained that he would be using the Damon 3 brackets that he said were good as well as nice asthetically since they were partially clear. I was concerned how even partially metallic braces would look but decided to go ahead with this.

Fast forward to today when I had my braces put in. After the procedure is done I realize to my horror that he had used Damon 2 brackets which are all metal. When I questioned him about this he said I had so much crowding that he thought that the all metal ones would be better. I didn't say much more about this at the office but feel that it was really unprofessional not to consult me if he felt he could not use the Damon 3 instead of casually telling me after the fact. I went back later today to get a wire trimmed that was poking into the side of my mouth and talked to the assistent (the doctor was out). She said they would change the brackets and re-do if I was unhappy with the metal ones but she thought that the metal ones are better because the Damon 3's stain and break. She agreed that the doctor should have consulted me and gained my approval before using a different bracket.

I am trying to decide if I should insist that they change the brackets to Damon 3's which look a bit better in my opinion or leave these metal Damon 2's in?

Do the Damon 3's really break and stain more than the Damon 2's?

Any advice would be appreciated !!!![/img]

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have had mine for a year and I have not had them stain or break. I wonder if you got the new damon3 MX brackets? Those are pretty nice!

Why don't you ask him to just change the upper front 6 teeth? Those are the ones that will show. Unless that is where all the crowding is!

Anyway just to let you know. The damon3's really do show. It still looks like you are wearing braces. They are nothing like ceramic brackets.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

nandini

Damon 2 or Damon 3 MX ?

#3 Post by nandini »

hmmmm ... I can't tell if they are Damon 2 or Damon 3 MX. All I know is they are all metal. There is a picture at this link

http://static.flickr.com/61/221470091_515127c818_o.jpg

what do they look like? (apart from hideous !!)

Thanks so much !!

nandini

not sure what these brackets are any more ...

#4 Post by nandini »

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice ... I tried to search for pictures of Damon 2's and Damon 3 MX in a quest to see what they had actually put on my teeth and the surprise is they LOOK LIKE NEITHER !

I'm going to call them tomorow and ask what exactly they put on and am going to be seriously miffed (more than I already am) if it is something other than a Damon system.

If it is not a Damon bracket I'm having them change it to Damon 3's asap because that is what they were supposed to put on.

Can anyone identify what these brackets are? I'm wondering if they are some kind of generic self-ligating brackets or something ...

nandini

#5 Post by nandini »

I think you're right about the brand not being important - what i'm really upset about is the total disregard the doctor displayed in informing/consulting me over the product that he used. That has to change.

At 38 I'm a little self concious about getting these braces at all and I would never have got them if I thought I would end up with all metal ones!!

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow! :shock: I would be very miffed if I was told one thing and given something else without any discussion!! For heaven's sake, They should treat you as the adult you are!

I have both Damon 3's and one Damon 3mx and yours don't look like the 3MX's....they are pretty cool looking though! I think they might be Carriere LX. The indented circle area looks like what I saw on their web page though the bracket in the picture has an elastic post on it: http://www.orthoorganizers.com.au/category153_1.htm Doesn't look genaric...looks like the latest in self-ligating brackets...very NEW!

kk is right about getting hung up on the name. Your brackets look nice! The Damon 3's show no matter what anyone has told you. I have them on the bottom (except 1 tooth) and on the side top teeth. They show...they all show. BTW, they don't stain or break. I've had mine for 16 months now with only a few that have debonded and that's fairly common for any bracket.

Your ortho's disregard for you is the big issue...You need to talk to him/her about this so you can trust the treatment as it goes along.

BTW, your teeth are going to look FANTASTIC!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

nandini

thank you x 1000

#7 Post by nandini »

jennielee81 thank you thank you thank you !!! I looked up the Carriere LXâ„¢ braces and that's definately what they are! Apparently they are better with the lower teeth crowding according to the guy who created them .... which is the reason my ortho gave for using them.

I feel so much better now. I still have my hackles up about being out of the loop on the whole thing ... I'm going to make sure I have the lowdown on everything they do before they do it in future!!!

nandini

Meryaten thanks to you too ...

#8 Post by nandini »

you guys are the best !!!

Attagirl2

#9 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Nandini. I agree with what the others have said about lack of communication on your orthodontist's part. If these brackets are really better for crowded teeth, mabe you can make an agreement with him/her to wear them until your top, front teeth are straighter and then have those replaced with the Damon 3's. That is what I have on in my Avatar. BTW, I did have one bracket in the 22 months that I have been wearing them, separate. My only other problem with them was the doors - I make a TON of tartar and it jammed the doors. I finally had to have the lowers replaced with Smart Clips on the third go round. But, that being said, most people don't have the problem with the doors that I do.

Good luck straightening this misunderstanding out. I bet the assistant has passed your displeasure on to the orthodontist already, so it probably won't be a surprise when you bring it up.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers