Why do some people get top then bottom braces?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mackenzie

Why do some people get top then bottom braces?

#1 Post by mackenzie »

I got a consultation a few years ago and now I'm getting another. I remember my ortho saying I would get top braces first then the bottom a few months later so I don't bite the bottom brackets off. Why can't I just get a bite plate or turbos or the molars-built-up instead to stop from biting off the brackets? I feel I'd rather get top and bottom on at once.

Not sure if it would factor in, but I only have a small overbite.

Thanks for reading, hoping to hear replies!
(My first post here :D)

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

well... maybe depending on your case there may be a lot on your upper arch that needs to be fixed and your ortho wants to fix that first. like with me we're just working on impacted canines then we'll put on bottom braces i guess. i do have a preety bad overbite. :?: :wink:

hope this helps...
hannah

invisagirl

#3 Post by invisagirl »

Depending on your case it could be because the bottom teeth don't need much work. I know in my case my bottom teeth need very little work so their not going to put braces on the bottom teeth until I need rubber bands to correct my small overjet.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

invisagirl

#4 Post by invisagirl »

Hey Meryaten-
My overjet is 2mm and my overbit is 2mm. I had two orthos comment about how much easier it would be if I had jaw surgery during my consultation (before starting Invisalign) and I couldn't imagine having surgery like that for such a small number. From what I read the goal of surgery is to get the overjet < 1mm. My new ortho said its completely fixable with rubber bands so until the orthos ready to start that work my lower arch is free of braces (its the only reason my lower arch will be braced). BTW Invisalign didn't correct the overjet at all. So what I have now is what I've always had. :wink:

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

mackenzie

#5 Post by mackenzie »

I don't think it's because my top teeth need more work. Only one appears to be out of place. Maybe there is a reason no one can see. I'm going to ask my ortho but I don't see her until next month and I'd like to know sooner.

My teeth aren't that bad, I will try to post some pictures tonight and hopefuly someone can help me out.

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

Hiya,

Well I've had my top braces on for nearly 3 months, my ortho said he needed my top teeth to move before putting the bottom ones on for the same reason as you, so I won't damage the top teeth on the bottom braces. I have a slight overbite, but my two top front teeth are over erupted (Bugs Bunny stylee) so apparently they have to move upwards and some of my top teeth are quite twisted so they were going to take the bulk of the work, whereas the bottoms just need straightening.

Thankfully I'm now getting my bottom braces on the 22nd :lol: as the progress is going to plan so far.

Dr. Randall

#7 Post by Dr. Randall »

Trust me on this one, you will be much better off waiting a few months to get your lower braces rather than a bite plate or turbos. For one thing, if you still need something like that it would be for a much shorter amount of time and in most cases once the upper teeth are lined up there is plenty of clearance to get to the lowers.

Randall

pharie

#8 Post by pharie »

I had my uppers put on in January and my lowers on mid-April. During that time my front teeth 'fanned' forward considerably and my bite changed. Then when the lowers were put on it wasn't uncomfortable for me becuase there was enough clearance between my uppers and lower brackets. It's no big deal really and the time does go quickly :D
Ceramic and metal since 4th Jan '05

Naked Teeth and wearing Essix retainers as of 19th June '06

pharie

#9 Post by pharie »

I had my uppers put on in January and my lowers on mid-April. During that time my front teeth 'fanned' forward considerably and my bite changed. Then when the lowers were put on it wasn't uncomfortable for me becuase there was enough clearance between my uppers and lower brackets. It's no big deal really and the time does go quickly :D

pharie

#10 Post by pharie »

pharie

#11 Post by pharie »

HECK! Sorry about the triple reply thingy! Each time I clicked on 'submit' an error message came up so I didn't think it had worked. Sorry about that! Cheers and good luck!

joey

#12 Post by joey »

ive just got uppers on too as they said i was likely to bite of my brackets if they were both put on at same time, anyway having just the one on has given me time to get used to being braced before i get the full shabang!! trust your ortho bet hes done this millions of times!!! :D