gum problem when closing up gaps

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

altinure

gum problem when closing up gaps

#1 Post by altinure »

hello doctor.

today i went in for my fifth adjustment. i've had power chains for two months. earlier today, i had about a 2mm gap in between my two front teeth. my orthodontist is making room for an implant tooth next to my left front tooth because i have an odd number of adult teeth for some reason. i was given new powerchains, a new wire, and this spring thing that i believe is opening up space for the implant. it's now about 6 hours after the adjustment and the gap in my front teeth has completely closed up. i was pretty shocked because it hadn't closed up the past two months of having power chains on those teeth. however, the gums seem to be really messed up. behind those two teeth, i can feel a bulge in the gum, as if there was too much gum there and it was pushed up. at the front of those teeth, it looks like my gums were squeezed together when they were pulled together, and i have a bulge of gum that goes all the way down past my wire. it really hurts.

is it normal for the gums to get squeezed in between teeth and normal for them to go down way too far on the teeth?

here's a picture of the two front teeth:

sorry the quality is bad, i had to blow them up a lot, but as you can see, the gum line comes down way too far and it's fairly bulged out. is this normal?

2hOtT2HaNdLe01

#2 Post by 2hOtT2HaNdLe01 »

im not doctor, but i have the same problem. starting out, i had alot of spaces, and that was the main reason that i got braces, now six months later, almost all of my spaces have closed, but the gums were pushed together and they are all puffy over the tops of the teeth, and my two front top teeth, with the biggest space has like a big thing of puffy gums. it is especially worst where my molar bands are located. my best friend, whose father is an orthodontist and a general dentist told me that since i had spaces i should get my gums cut close to the end of my treatment, so i was like great! you kno maybe i could get them done earlier, yadda yadda yadda. BUT my orthodontist said different. he thinks that i just need to brush my gums themselves, and pretty hard. he actually said that it would be good if they bled. he said that the harder i brushed my gums, the more that they would tighten, and become less puffy, so i took his advice and i brushed harder, and it has helped somewhat, HOWEVER i believe that gums can only tighten so much, so i told him that if i didnt see any progress that i liked with brushing my gums hard, that i would look into the gingivectomy for aeshtetic reasons, and i doubt an ortho can argue with that. BUT my orthodontist is awesome, and he said thats fine! so that is my info. GOOD LUCK. :D

KEY:

RED: indicates puffy gums between teeth
GREEN: indicates gum swelling above teeth
YELLOW: indicates the largest puffy gum*

*since brushing harding, when i compare the pictures from the beginning of the closing spaces, the puffy gum came pretty far down, now as you can see it is just almost level with my archwire, and if u read my braces story viewtopic.php?t=3333&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 i wrote that at my 3rd adjustment my ortho tied a wire linking my first four teeth to keep the spaces closed, well it is still there, and my gums are above it, however you cannot see the thin wire because it is directly underneath my archwire. well i hope that this has helped. please check out my story if you want to see some before pictures or if you are at all confused as to what ive said above about the gums, i have it all explained (or at least i should). HOPE THAT I HELPED. :D

p.s. sorry that was a long post!
BRACED: March 16, 2005
DEBANDED: October 3, 2006

altinure

#3 Post by altinure »

oh wonderful. could anyone tell me if it's required to get one usually if something like this happens? if so, are they expensive/painful? my insurance doesn't cover cosmetic dental work.

thanks.